Prologue - Part One, Chapter Three
• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Michaelides, Alex. The Silent Patient. Celadon Books, 2019.
• The prologue is taken from Alicia Berenson’s diary and is dated July 14.
• The prologue begins with Alicia’s admitting that she does not know why she has begun to keep a diary.
• She describes the diary as “[a]n unnamed something” (1) that she has begun to write in thanks to her husband, Gabriel.
• Alicia describes feeling depressed; Gabriel noticed despite her attempts to conceal her feelings.
• Gabriel suggested she write about what is bothering her, but Alicia ignored his suggestion until he gave her a small black leather notebook.
• Alicia describes “feel[ing] better already” after starting to write, feeling the diary has given her “a kind of release, an outlet” (2).
• At the end of the entry, Alicia expresses her...
This section contains 14,407 words
(approx. 49 pages at 300 words per page)