|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What experience does Tert Card say makes one 'cry with pleasure'?
2. What was the vehicle used by the masked attacker?
3. What happened to the old lighthouse?
4. Who is Bunny's best friend?
5. What is another word for the former sailor hairstyle called 'queues'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What behaviors show the reader how the relationship between Quoyle and Wavey is developing?
2. What conclusions can be drawn about the origin of the money Agnis receives?
3. In what sense is the new boat symbolic?
4. What are the implied advantages of the green house?
5. In what shape is the local Newfoundland economy?
6. Comment on the destruction of the green house on the point.
7. In what way does Quoyle fail Nutbeem?
8. In what ways are contrasts important in Chapter 36 of The Shipping News?
9. From the description of it in this chapter, is it possible Quoyle would enjoy living in Nutbeem's trailer?
10. What secret is exposed during the visit to St John's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify two themes in THE SHIPPING NEWS. Discuss the ways in which the novelist uses character and circumstance to explore these themes. You should focus on Quoyle, Agnis and Jack Buggit.
Essay Topic 2
THE SHIPPING NEWS is characterized by a distinctive style.
1) What do you see as the major elements of Annie Proulx's style?
2) What is the impact of that style?
3) Focus on three salient examples and comment on their effectiveness as well as their relationship to the novel as a whole.
Make this a personal response.
Essay Topic 3
Every character in THE SHIPPING NEWS deals with some kind of adversity. Choose TWO characters.
1) Explain the adversity the characters experience and describe the way in which they deal with it.
2) Discuss differences in the characters' approach and comment on the outcomes of their adversity.
3) What do we learn about the effect of adversity on human lives?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)