|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the reader know Aunt Agnis doesn't like vinyl cladding?
(a) She says she wouldn't cross the road to buy it.
(b) She says she wouldn't have it on her coffin.
(c) She abuses the salesman.
(d) She makes a Bronx cheer when it is mentioned.
2. At the motel, what does Quoyle buy for his daughters?
(a) Cuddly bears.
(b) Wind-up penguins.
(c) Stuffed penguins.
3. In what city did Quoyle and Partridge meet?
(a) New York.
4. Why does Quoyle remove the pens from his shirt?
(a) They have been sticking into him.
(b) They are leaking.
(c) They are sharp.
(d) They get in the way.
5. What visual effect does fog have, according to Billy?
(a) It makes everything look yellow.
(b) It makes things look larger.
(c) It makes evrything look florid.
(d) It makes things look smaller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man in the dory doing?
2. What is the meaning of the word 'atavistic'?
3. What maritime connections does Quoyle have?
4. According to stories, how was the Quoyle house brought to its present location?
5. What damage did The Polar Grinder sustain in the terrible storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Quoyle's response to Billy Pretty's skepticism about him?
2. What does Chapter 10 show the reader about the relationship of people to the sea?
3. What interesting plot lines are dealt with in this chapter?
4. In what way are Billy and Quoyle connected?
5. How does Quoyle feel about Bunny's problems at school?
6. What is indicated by the image of Quoyle looking at the horizon?
7. To what extent is Quoyle drawn to the green house on the point?
8. What good personal quality of Quoyle's almost costs him his life?
9. What does the green house on the point mean to the aunt?
10. How did the Quoyle house come to be moved to the point where it now stands?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)