Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What creature does Quoyle see when he is clearing trash?
(a) A Southern Right whale.
(b) A Minke whale.
(c) A moose.
(d) An albatross.
2. Why did Carl's hair turn white?
(a) He was terrified by the ghosts of nineteenth century sealers.
(b) All his family went white in their thirties.
(c) He had a close encounter with a giant squid or octopus.
(d) He was frightened by a moose.
3. What is a synonym for 'mortification'?
(c) Locking in with a mortice.
4. What gives Quoyle a headache?
(a) Rinsing calamari.
(b) The steam in the kitchen.
(c) The smell of turned earth.
(d) The smell of paint.
5. What injuries did Dennis sustain during the storm crisis on The Polar Grinder?
(a) Both legs were broken.
(b) He fractured his skull and right arm.
(c) His right arm and left leg were broken.
(d) Both arms were broken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is part of the managing editor's job?
2. How old is Jack Buggit?
3. How does the reader know Aunt Agnis doesn't like vinyl cladding?
4. What are the Tea Buns?
5. What is the Back Buddy for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chapter 10 show the reader about the relationship of people to the sea?
2. What are the implied advantages of the green house?
3. Comment on the significance of the contents of the suitcase Quoyle finds floating in the water.
4. To what extent is Quoyle drawn to the green house on the point?
5. What is interesting about the idea of the aunt and Quoyle digging a garden patch?
6. What is the significance of Agnis' relationship with Irene Warren?
7. How important is the rhythm of their new lives for Quoyle and his family?
8. Comment on the way the writer uses the psychology of memory in this chapter.
9. In what way is Quoyle's discovery of the body important to the narrative?
10. From the description of it in this chapter, is it possible Quoyle would enjoy living in Nutbeem's trailer?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)