|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Quoyle get the list of ships?
(a) He asks people at the seafront.
(b) He phones the harbormaster.
(c) He phones the shipping companies.
(d) He visits the harbormaster's office.
2. What visual effect does fog have, according to Billy?
(a) It makes things look larger.
(b) It makes things look smaller.
(c) It makes everything look yellow.
(d) It makes evrything look florid.
3. When is the library open?
(a) Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
(b) Friday and Saturday afternoons.
(d) Friday and Tuesday afternoons.
4. What is Quoyle doing when Mr Shovel calls him?
(a) Leaving to pick up Bunny.
(b) Daydreaming about his love for Petal.
(c) Writing a ackground story on a car wreck near Killick-Claw.
(d) Rewriting a story Nutbeem had heard on the radio.
5. What is the subject of the story Quoyle tells his daughters?
(a) A sad dog.
(c) Baby penguins.
(d) A moose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injuries did Dennis sustain during the storm crisis on The Polar Grinder?
2. The bay's appearance on the map is shown as . . .
3. When was Mavis Bangs first married?
4. Why is Home Rock important?
5. How big is the iceberg Quoyle sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change in Quoyle occurs following the incident of his article on the 'Hitler yacht'?
2. What do we learn about the aunt in Chapter 6?
3. What is indicated by the image of Quoyle looking at the horizon?
4. In what way is the appearance of the Botterjacht ironic?
5. What is interesting about the idea of the aunt and Quoyle digging a garden patch?
6. What is important, symbolically, about Quoyle's reluctance to move into the house on the point?
7. What insight into Jack Buggit does the harbormaster convey to Quoyle?
8. How important is the rhythm of their new lives for Quoyle and his family?
9. How does Annie Proulx utilize symbolism in the account of Billy's and Quoyle's journey back from Gaze Island?
10. What does Chapter 10 show the reader about the relationship of people to the sea?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)