|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What novel provides the inspiration for Borogrove, Nutbeem's boat?
(a) The Tale of Peter Rabbit.
(b) The Daughter of Time.
(c) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
(d) Alice in Wonderland.
2. What has Skipper Will invented?
(a) A new style of snow-shoe.
(b) A squidburger.
(c) A new recipe for cod chowder.
(d) A device for harnessing moose.
3. What function did Misky Bay fulfill during the war?
(a) A refuelling port.
(b) A port for loading ammunition.
(c) A base for submarines.
(d) A commando training base.
4. Which animal are Newfoundlanders fond of?
(a) The dog.
(b) The moose.
(c) The cat.
(d) The wolf.
5. Why does Quoyle get to do the special column on The Shipping News?
(a) He is at last able to write good copy.
(b) He does it for a dare.
(c) No-one else is willing to do it.
(d) People loved his story on the Tough Baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the motel, what does Quoyle buy for his daughters?
2. What is the distinctive feature of the Quoyle house?
3. What complicates the family's stay at the motel?
4. Why is Home Rock important?
5. Which character 'sleeps as quiet as an eggbeater'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on the significance of the contents of the suitcase Quoyle finds floating in the water.
2. What do we learn about the aunt in Chapter 6?
3. What is the significance of Agnis' relationship with Irene Warren?
4. Why do we feel at this point that there is cause to be optimistic about Quoyle's growing friendship with Wavey?
5. What is indicated by the image of Quoyle looking at the horizon?
6. How does the aunt account for her wish to return to Newfoundland?
7. How does the author use the symbolism of the iceberg that Quoyle and Wavey see during their walk?
8. Account for Quoyle's cherished hope that he was, in fact, a changeling.
9. How did the Quoyle house come to be moved to the point where it now stands?
10. Does Tert Card demonstrate the qualities required of a managing editor?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)