|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What condition does Wavey's son suffer from?
(a) Down's Syndrome.
(b) Huntington's chorea.
2. Who introduces Quoyle and Wavey?
(a) Billy Pretty.
(b) Agnis Hamm.
3. What inspires Quoyle to cook interesting food?
(a) His determination to show that economical meals can be gourmet meals.
(b) His thoughts of Partridge.
(c) Gordon Ramsay's latest recipe book.
(d) His love for his family.
4. Why is Dawn keen to use the electric typewriter?
(a) She is secretly writing a novel.
(b) She secretly types love letters.
(c) She secretly types job applications.
(d) She is keen to practice in order to get a better job.
5. What is the distinctive feature of the Quoyle house?
(a) It's painted bright green.
(b) The carving on the gables.
(c) An odd roof-line.
(d) A window flanked by two smaller ones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be 'injurious as well as beneficial'?
2. What is a synonym for 'mortification'?
3. Which character 'sleeps as quiet as an eggbeater'?
4. What has Skipper Will invented?
5. Who was Quoyle's favorite child?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the aunt's reaction to the appearance of the distant Quoyle different from her nephew's?
2. What insight into Jack Buggit does the harbormaster convey to Quoyle?
3. What are Quoyle's expectations of marriage and how is the reality different for him?
4. What is interesting about the idea of the aunt and Quoyle digging a garden patch?
5. What is significant about the different ways in which Quoyle and his aunt respond to the finding of Bayonet Melville's head?
6. How does Annie Proulx utilize symbolism in the account of Billy's and Quoyle's journey back from Gaze Island?
7. In what way is the appearance of the Botterjacht ironic?
8. Does Tert Card demonstrate the qualities required of a managing editor?
9. How does the aunt respond to Quoyle's doubt over his ability to do the job?
10. Account for Quoyle's cherished hope that he was, in fact, a changeling.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)