|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Identify the type of figurative language used in: 'sunset like a flock of birds on fire'.
(a) This is personification.
(b) This is metonymy.
(c) This is a metaphor.
(d) This is a simile.
2. What can be 'injurious as well as beneficial'?
(a) Falling in love with a mysterious person.
(b) Cod-fishing on the Grand Banks.
(c) The mysterious power of knots.
(d) Researching and writing news stories.
3. What has Bunny yet to learn?
(a) To disguise the ways in which she is different.
(b) To show how talented she is.
(c) To tie her shoelaces.
(d) To show respect for older people.
4. Who was Quoyle's favorite child?
5. What is the alternative name for Gaze Island?
(a) Moose Island.
(b) Christmas Island.
(c) Whale Island.
(d) The Isle of Pines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What novel provides the inspiration for Borogrove, Nutbeem's boat?
2. What gives Quoyle a headache?
3. What is the man in the dory doing?
4. For how many years was Quoyle married to Petal?
5. What maritime connections does Quoyle have?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the aunt's reaction to the appearance of the distant Quoyle different from her nephew's?
2. What do we learn about the aunt in Chapter 6?
3. What change in Quoyle occurs following the incident of his article on the 'Hitler yacht'?
4. What are Quoyle's expectations of marriage and how is the reality different for him?
5. What is indicated by the image of Quoyle looking at the horizon?
6. What does the green house on the point mean to the aunt?
7. What is Quoyle's attitude to Petal and her death?
8. What is interesting about the idea of the aunt and Quoyle digging a garden patch?
9. Does Tert Card demonstrate the qualities required of a managing editor?
10. In what way is Bunny showing herself to be different from her father?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)