|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Back Buddy for?
(a) To supply drinks on long boat trips.
(b) To give comfort and support to the spinal column.
(c) To self-massage an aching back.
(d) To keep a lookout at the back door.
2. What condition does Wavey's son suffer from?
(a) Huntington's chorea.
(c) Down's Syndrome.
3. Why is Gaze Island important to Billy?
(a) He owns land there.
(b) He spent his honeymoon there.
(c) His wife and child are buried there.
(d) His father is buried there.
4. According to stories, how was the Quoyle house brought to its present location?
(a) Prefabricated in Montreal and trucked in bit by bit.
(b) Dragged across the ice.
(c) Cut into sections and moved in by barge.
(d) Cut in half and moved by road train.
5. Who buys sea urchin roe?
(a) The Indonesians.
(b) The Japanese.
(c) The French.
(d) The Pacific Islands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a synonym for 'mortification'?
2. Who is responsible for the Home News Page?
3. Whose ancestor resorted to cannibalism?
4. What are the Tea Buns?
5. Where had the Quoyles originally settled?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Quoyle house come to be moved to the point where it now stands?
2. How does Quoyle respond to the news about the Quoyles' past?
3. In what way are Billy and Quoyle connected?
4. What does Chapter 10 show the reader about the relationship of people to the sea?
5. How does Quoyle feel about Bunny's problems at school?
6. Does Tert Card demonstrate the qualities required of a managing editor?
7. What change in Quoyle occurs following the incident of his article on the 'Hitler yacht'?
8. In what way is the aunt's reaction to the appearance of the distant Quoyle different from her nephew's?
9. Comment on the significance of the contents of the suitcase Quoyle finds floating in the water.
10. How does Annie Proulx utilize symbolism in the account of Billy's and Quoyle's journey back from Gaze Island?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)