|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a synonym for 'mortification'?
(a) Locking in with a mortice.
2. What maritime connections does Quoyle have?
(a) His father was a sealer.
(b) His grandfather was a sea-captain.
(c) He was born at sea.
(d) His grandfather was a sealer.
3. The bay's appearance on the map is shown as . . .
(a) A dog's leg.
(b) A bent thumb
(c) A chemist's pale blue flask.
(d) A blue Chinese vase.
4. What condition does Wavey's son suffer from?
(c) Huntington's chorea.
(d) Down's Syndrome.
5. What problem did the newsprint carrier have?
(a) A drunken captain.
(b) A fire in the galley.
(c) A leaky throstle.
(d) A fire in the engine room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man in the dory doing?
2. What is the Back Buddy for?
3. After whom did the aunt name her dog?
4. Why does Quoyle think he might have to take Wavey to the prairies?
5. What bizarre tale does Nutbeem tell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the green house on the point mean to the aunt?
2. What does Chapter 10 show the reader about the relationship of people to the sea?
3. What is revealed to Quoyle during the trip to Gaze Island with Billy Pretty?
4. What is the significance of Agnis' relationship with Irene Warren?
5. What do we learn about the aunt in Chapter 6?
6. How did the Quoyle house come to be moved to the point where it now stands?
7. What is indicated by the image of Quoyle looking at the horizon?
8. What insight into Jack Buggit does the harbormaster convey to Quoyle?
9. What is interesting about the idea of the aunt and Quoyle digging a garden patch?
10. How important is the rhythm of their new lives for Quoyle and his family?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)