|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money did Wavey's father make on berries in the previous year?
(a) Two thousand dollars.
(b) A thousand dollars.
(c) Five hundred dollars.
(d) Twelve hundred dollars.
2. What is the subject of the story Quoyle tells his daughters?
(b) A sad dog.
(c) Baby penguins.
(d) A moose.
3. At the motel, what does Quoyle buy for his daughters?
(a) Wind-up penguins.
(c) Cuddly bears.
(d) Stuffed penguins.
4. Which character works in the school library twice a week?
5. What gives Quoyle a headache?
(a) The smell of turned earth.
(b) Rinsing calamari.
(c) The smell of paint.
(d) The steam in the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Quoyle get to do the special column on The Shipping News?
2. What problem did the newsprint carrier have?
3. Why does Billy go to the clinic?
4. The shag is an alternative word for which bird?
5. How does Agnis describe berrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change in Quoyle occurs following the incident of his article on the 'Hitler yacht'?
2. What is interesting about the idea of the aunt and Quoyle digging a garden patch?
3. In what way is the aunt's reaction to the appearance of the distant Quoyle different from her nephew's?
4. How does Annie Proulx utilize symbolism in the account of Billy's and Quoyle's journey back from Gaze Island?
5. Why do we feel at this point that there is cause to be optimistic about Quoyle's growing friendship with Wavey?
6. In what way is the appearance of the Botterjacht ironic?
7. What are Quoyle's expectations of marriage and how is the reality different for him?
8. What is Quoyle's attitude to Petal and her death?
9. How does Quoyle feel about Bunny's problems at school?
10. What is revealed to Quoyle during the trip to Gaze Island with Billy Pretty?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)