|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way is a nip important to a knot?
(a) The security of the knot depends upon it.
(b) It must be in strict ratio to the tuck.
(c) The finished look of the knot depends on it.
(d) It must not be undone first.
2. What can be 'injurious as well as beneficial'?
(a) Researching and writing news stories.
(b) Falling in love with a mysterious person.
(c) The mysterious power of knots.
(d) Cod-fishing on the Grand Banks.
3. What gives Quoyle a headache?
(a) The smell of paint.
(b) The steam in the kitchen.
(c) The smell of turned earth.
(d) Rinsing calamari.
4. Why is it claimed that biologists have visited the Tough Baby?
(a) To collect the rare marine specimens collected.
(b) To use the boat as a base for tagging Minke whales.
(c) To inspect a new species of squid.
(d) To view the numerous carvings of animals and birds that decorate it.
5. From what does Dawn want to escape?
(a) Killick-Claw in the winter.
(b) Agnis Hamm's bossiness.
(c) Her poverty.
(d) Mavis Bangs' constant chatter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the aunt do with her brother's ashes?
2. When was Mavis Bangs first married?
3. Who is responsible for the Home News Page?
4. What is the subject of the story Quoyle tells his daughters?
5. Which character works in the school library twice a week?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chapter 10 show the reader about the relationship of people to the sea?
2. How does Quoyle respond to the news about the Quoyles' past?
3. How does Annie Proulx utilize symbolism in the account of Billy's and Quoyle's journey back from Gaze Island?
4. In what way are Billy and Quoyle connected?
5. Why do we feel at this point that there is cause to be optimistic about Quoyle's growing friendship with Wavey?
6. Does Tert Card demonstrate the qualities required of a managing editor?
7. Comment on the significance of the contents of the suitcase Quoyle finds floating in the water.
8. What insight into Jack Buggit does the harbormaster convey to Quoyle?
9. What is significant about the different ways in which Quoyle and his aunt respond to the finding of Bayonet Melville's head?
10. What is indicated by the image of Quoyle looking at the horizon?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)