|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Quoyle not believe a word?
(a) Bunny's reported prowess as a sailor.
(b) His aunt's stories about the green house.
(c) The gossip concening the interesting boat.
(d) The gossip concening Wavey.
2. What problem did the newsprint carrier have?
(a) A fire in the engine room.
(b) A drunken captain.
(c) A fire in the galley.
(d) A leaky throstle.
3. What does the aunt do with her brother's ashes?
(a) Puts them in a special urn and places this on the mantelpiece.
(b) Scatters them in the woods.
(c) Scatters them from the wharf.
(d) Disposes them down the lavatory bowl.
4. What is part of the managing editor's job?
(a) Doing the advertisements.
(b) Doing the police rounds.
(d) Installing heating for the building.
5. Who was Quoyle's favorite child?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character works in the school library twice a week?
2. From what does Dawn want to escape?
3. What has Bunny yet to learn?
4. At the motel, what does Quoyle buy for his daughters?
5. Who introduces Quoyle and Wavey?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the appearance of the Botterjacht ironic?
2. Comment on the significance of the contents of the suitcase Quoyle finds floating in the water.
3. What is indicated by the image of Quoyle looking at the horizon?
4. What is important, symbolically, about Quoyle's reluctance to move into the house on the point?
5. What is the significance of Agnis' relationship with Irene Warren?
6. How did the Quoyle house come to be moved to the point where it now stands?
7. In what way is the aunt's reaction to the appearance of the distant Quoyle different from her nephew's?
8. What is revealed to Quoyle during the trip to Gaze Island with Billy Pretty?
9. What is Quoyle's attitude to Petal and her death?
10. How important is the rhythm of their new lives for Quoyle and his family?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)