|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character works in the school library twice a week?
2. What is the Back Buddy for?
(a) To keep a lookout at the back door.
(b) To self-massage an aching back.
(c) To give comfort and support to the spinal column.
(d) To supply drinks on long boat trips.
3. How old was the harbor-master when he first went to sea?
4. What unusual sight do Quoyle and Wavey see as they return with the lunch basket?
(a) A pod of whales.
(b) A strange ship.
(c) Green sausageweed and coralweed.
(d) A collapsing iceberg.
5. In what way does Quoyle benefit from Petal's death?
(a) He has Petal's insurance money and a house in Florida.
(b) He has sole care of the children and he has Petal's insurance money.
(c) He gets to keep the car.
(d) Her insurance money makes him a millionaire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of the story Quoyle tells his daughters?
2. What complicates the family's stay at the motel?
3. At the motel, what does Quoyle buy for his daughters?
4. What is part of the managing editor's job?
5. What does Wavey notice in Archie Sparks' yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Quoyle's attitude to Petal and her death?
2. In what way are Billy and Quoyle connected?
3. What major fear does Quoyle face up to in Chapter 12?
4. In what way is the aunt's reaction to the appearance of the distant Quoyle different from her nephew's?
5. How important is the rhythm of their new lives for Quoyle and his family?
6. What is the significance of Agnis' relationship with Irene Warren?
7. Account for Quoyle's cherished hope that he was, in fact, a changeling.
8. What are Quoyle's expectations of marriage and how is the reality different for him?
9. What do we learn about the aunt in Chapter 6?
10. What insight into Jack Buggit does the harbormaster convey to Quoyle?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)