|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did the Melvilles pay Agnis for the boat upholstery?
(a) Two thousand dollars and twenty-nine cents.
(b) Half of what was owing, then left during the night.
(c) Nothing. They left during the night without settling their account.
(d) One thousand dollars.
2. What has Bunny yet to learn?
(a) To show respect for older people.
(b) To show how talented she is.
(c) To tie her shoelaces.
(d) To disguise the ways in which she is different.
3. Why does Sunshine exclaim that it is 'a ladder house'?
(a) There is a ladder to the attic.
(b) She sees the scaffolding all over it.
(c) The external fire escape looks like a ladder.
(d) In the poor light, the widow panes look like ladders.
4. Why is Gaze Island important to Billy?
(a) His father is buried there.
(b) He spent his honeymoon there.
(c) He owns land there.
(d) His wife and child are buried there.
5. What is Quoyle doing when Mr Shovel calls him?
(a) Writing a ackground story on a car wreck near Killick-Claw.
(b) Leaving to pick up Bunny.
(c) Daydreaming about his love for Petal.
(d) Rewriting a story Nutbeem had heard on the radio.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jack Buggit?
2. What does Wavey notice in Archie Sparks' yard?
3. Why does Quoyle think he might have to take Wavey to the prairies?
4. What evidence confirms to Agnis that she had seen a man close by?
5. What complicates the family's stay at the motel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Quoyle respond to the news about the Quoyles' past?
2. What is interesting about the idea of the aunt and Quoyle digging a garden patch?
3. What change in Quoyle occurs following the incident of his article on the 'Hitler yacht'?
4. What is important, symbolically, about Quoyle's reluctance to move into the house on the point?
5. Does Tert Card demonstrate the qualities required of a managing editor?
6. How does the aunt account for her wish to return to Newfoundland?
7. Account for Quoyle's cherished hope that he was, in fact, a changeling.
8. Comment on the significance of the contents of the suitcase Quoyle finds floating in the water.
9. What insight into Jack Buggit does the harbormaster convey to Quoyle?
10. What major fear does Quoyle face up to in Chapter 12?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)