|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Quoyle's jobs are listed on the first page of the novel?
(a) Bell-hop at a hotel, third-rate journalist, traveling salesman.
(b) Rope-maker and knot-tester, cab driver, third-rate journalist.
(c) Greeting card writer, bell-hop at a hotel, all-night clerk at a convenience store.
(d) Distributer of vending machine candy, all-night clerk in a convenience store, third-rate journalist.
2. How does Agnis describe berrying?
(a) As pleasure to all.
(b) As a good way to find a husband.
(c) As tedious and boring.
(d) As a damned nuisance.
3. What is a clove hitch?
(a) A spice used in French-Canadian cooking.
(b) A type of knot.
(c) An old-fashioned way of pulling teeth.
(d) A Canadian hitch-hiker.
4. What other strange occurrence is mentioned?
(a) Frogs raining down in Misky Bay.
(b) A fall of frozen ducks.
(c) The return of the Flying Dutchman.
(d) A ghost ship in the bay.
5. In what way is a nip important to a knot?
(a) It must not be undone first.
(b) It must be in strict ratio to the tuck.
(c) The finished look of the knot depends on it.
(d) The security of the knot depends upon it.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does Dawn want to escape?
2. What is part of the managing editor's job?
3. When was Mavis Bangs first married?
4. What unusual sight do Quoyle and Wavey see as they return with the lunch basket?
5. In what way does Quoyle benefit from Petal's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Quoyle house come to be moved to the point where it now stands?
2. What do we learn about the aunt in Chapter 6?
3. What is the significance of Agnis' relationship with Irene Warren?
4. What is Quoyle's attitude to Petal and her death?
5. How does Quoyle feel about Bunny's problems at school?
6. How does the aunt account for her wish to return to Newfoundland?
7. Does Tert Card demonstrate the qualities required of a managing editor?
8. How does Quoyle respond to the news about the Quoyles' past?
9. What is indicated by the image of Quoyle looking at the horizon?
10. Account for Quoyle's cherished hope that he was, in fact, a changeling.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)