|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What inspires Quoyle to cook interesting food?
(a) Gordon Ramsay's latest recipe book.
(b) His determination to show that economical meals can be gourmet meals.
(c) His love for his family.
(d) His thoughts of Partridge.
2. What unusual sight do Quoyle and Wavey see as they return with the lunch basket?
(a) A strange ship.
(b) Green sausageweed and coralweed.
(c) A pod of whales.
(d) A collapsing iceberg.
3. How is Agnis Hamm related to Quoyle's father?
(a) She is his second cousin.
(b) She is his brother's wife.
(c) She is his sister.
(d) She is his ex-wife.
4. What does the aunt do with her brother's ashes?
(a) Puts them in a special urn and places this on the mantelpiece.
(b) Scatters them in the woods.
(c) Scatters them from the wharf.
(d) Disposes them down the lavatory bowl.
5. What is described as a 'gelatinous horror'?
(a) A squidburger.
(b) Bayonet Melville's head.
(c) A mess of decomposing cod.
(d) The dessert at the restaurant at Desperate Cove.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Bunny yet to learn?
2. What do Billy and Quoyle find?
3. What problem did the newsprint carrier have?
4. According to stories, how was the Quoyle house brought to its present location?
5. What function did Misky Bay fulfill during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chapter 10 show the reader about the relationship of people to the sea?
2. How does the author use the symbolism of the iceberg that Quoyle and Wavey see during their walk?
3. What does the green house on the point mean to the aunt?
4. How important is the rhythm of their new lives for Quoyle and his family?
5. What is Quoyle's attitude to Petal and her death?
6. In what way are Billy and Quoyle connected?
7. What major fear does Quoyle face up to in Chapter 12?
8. What do we learn about the aunt in Chapter 6?
9. What is indicated by the image of Quoyle looking at the horizon?
10. What is important, symbolically, about Quoyle's reluctance to move into the house on the point?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)