|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened at Perdition Cove?
(a) There was a specacular car wreck.
(b) A boat blew up.
(c) A boat sank.
(d) A shop caught fire.
2. Whose ancestor resorted to cannibalism?
(a) Billy Pretty's.
(c) Jack Buggit's.
3. How is Agnis Hamm related to Quoyle's father?
(a) She is his second cousin.
(b) She is his sister.
(c) She is his ex-wife.
(d) She is his brother's wife.
4. What maritime connections does Quoyle have?
(a) He was born at sea.
(b) His father was a sealer.
(c) His grandfather was a sea-captain.
(d) His grandfather was a sealer.
5. Which people are described as wild, inbred half-wits and murderers?
(a) The Quoyles.
(b) The Hamms.
(c) The Buggits.
(d) The Cards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy like about Desperate Cove?
2. Who introduces Quoyle and Wavey?
3. Which character 'sleeps as quiet as an eggbeater'?
4. What is the man in the dory doing?
5. How can the reader tell that Quoyle is self-conscious when he meets Mavis and Dawn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Quoyle's expectations of marriage and how is the reality different for him?
2. What is interesting about the idea of the aunt and Quoyle digging a garden patch?
3. What does Chapter 10 show the reader about the relationship of people to the sea?
4. What is the significance of Agnis' relationship with Irene Warren?
5. What major fear does Quoyle face up to in Chapter 12?
6. What do we learn about the aunt in Chapter 6?
7. In what way is the aunt's reaction to the appearance of the distant Quoyle different from her nephew's?
8. Account for Quoyle's cherished hope that he was, in fact, a changeling.
9. How does the aunt account for her wish to return to Newfoundland?
10. What is important, symbolically, about Quoyle's reluctance to move into the house on the point?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)