|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What creature does Quoyle see when he is clearing trash?
(a) A Minke whale.
(b) A Southern Right whale.
(c) A moose.
(d) An albatross.
2. What is the man in the dory doing?
(a) Inspecting whelk pots.
(c) Inspecting lobster pots.
(d) Diving for abolone.
3. How old was the harbor-master when he first went to sea?
4. What complicates the family's stay at the motel?
(a) They become locked in their room.
(b) Quoyle accidentally locks himself in the bathroom.
(c) The aunt gets drunk.
(d) People complain about the dog.
5. What injuries did Dennis sustain during the storm crisis on The Polar Grinder?
(a) Both legs were broken.
(b) He fractured his skull and right arm.
(c) His right arm and left leg were broken.
(d) Both arms were broken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Quoyle a headache?
2. Who was Quoyle's favorite child?
3. Which character works in the school library twice a week?
4. Why did Carl's hair turn white?
5. How much did the Melvilles pay Agnis for the boat upholstery?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the aunt's reaction to the appearance of the distant Quoyle different from her nephew's?
2. In what way does Quoyle fail Nutbeem?
3. What behaviors show the reader how the relationship between Quoyle and Wavey is developing?
4. What is important about Quoyle's encounter with Cousin Nolan?
5. How does Quoyle respond to the news about the Quoyles' past?
6. To what extent is Quoyle drawn to the green house on the point?
7. How does the aunt respond to Quoyle's doubt over his ability to do the job?
8. What insight into Jack Buggit does the harbormaster convey to Quoyle?
9. What is Quoyle's attitude to Petal and her death?
10. What does Chapter 10 show the reader about the relationship of people to the sea?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)