|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the aunt do with her brother's ashes?
(a) Scatters them from the wharf.
(b) Puts them in a special urn and places this on the mantelpiece.
(c) Disposes them down the lavatory bowl.
(d) Scatters them in the woods.
2. What is the distinctive feature of the Quoyle house?
(a) It's painted bright green.
(b) The carving on the gables.
(c) An odd roof-line.
(d) A window flanked by two smaller ones.
3. Why did Carl's hair turn white?
(a) He was terrified by the ghosts of nineteenth century sealers.
(b) All his family went white in their thirties.
(c) He had a close encounter with a giant squid or octopus.
(d) He was frightened by a moose.
4. What creature does Quoyle see when he is clearing trash?
(a) A Minke whale.
(b) An albatross.
(c) A Southern Right whale.
(d) A moose.
5. How does the reader know Aunt Agnis doesn't like vinyl cladding?
(a) She makes a Bronx cheer when it is mentioned.
(b) She says she wouldn't cross the road to buy it.
(c) She says she wouldn't have it on her coffin.
(d) She abuses the salesman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Back Buddy for?
2. Which animal are Newfoundlanders fond of?
3. Whose ancestor resorted to cannibalism?
4. How old was the harbor-master when he first went to sea?
5. Why does Bunny need to bring a box of tissues to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting about the idea of the aunt and Quoyle digging a garden patch?
2. What does Chapter 10 show the reader about the relationship of people to the sea?
3. Comment on the significance of the contents of the suitcase Quoyle finds floating in the water.
4. What is the significance of Agnis' relationship with Irene Warren?
5. What are Quoyle's expectations of marriage and how is the reality different for him?
6. What is revealed to Quoyle during the trip to Gaze Island with Billy Pretty?
7. What insight into Jack Buggit does the harbormaster convey to Quoyle?
8. Does Tert Card demonstrate the qualities required of a managing editor?
9. What is significant about the different ways in which Quoyle and his aunt respond to the finding of Bayonet Melville's head?
10. How does the aunt respond to Quoyle's doubt over his ability to do the job?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)