|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Mavis Bangs first married?
(a) At twenty-two.
(b) At forty.
(c) At fifteen.
(d) At eighteen.
2. What happened at Perdition Cove?
(a) A boat blew up.
(b) A boat sank.
(c) There was a specacular car wreck.
(d) A shop caught fire.
3. How big is the iceberg Quoyle sees?
(a) As big as a bowling alley.
(b) As big as a house.
(c) As big as a ship.
(d) As big as a bingo hall.
4. What is part of the managing editor's job?
(b) Installing heating for the building.
(c) Doing the advertisements.
(d) Doing the police rounds.
5. What other strange occurrence is mentioned?
(a) A ghost ship in the bay.
(b) The return of the Flying Dutchman.
(c) Frogs raining down in Misky Bay.
(d) A fall of frozen ducks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Quoyle's jobs are listed on the first page of the novel?
2. What group does Reverend Stain belong to?
3. How does Agnis describe berrying?
4. Why does Sunshine exclaim that it is 'a ladder house'?
5. At the motel, what does Quoyle buy for his daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the appearance of the Botterjacht ironic?
2. How does Quoyle feel about Bunny's problems at school?
3. In what way is Bunny showing herself to be different from her father?
4. What is interesting about the idea of the aunt and Quoyle digging a garden patch?
5. What does Chapter 10 show the reader about the relationship of people to the sea?
6. What major fear does Quoyle face up to in Chapter 12?
7. What is important, symbolically, about Quoyle's reluctance to move into the house on the point?
8. What is the significance of Agnis' relationship with Irene Warren?
9. In what way are Billy and Quoyle connected?
10. What is indicated by the image of Quoyle looking at the horizon?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)