|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What inspires Quoyle to cook interesting food?
(a) His determination to show that economical meals can be gourmet meals.
(b) His thoughts of Partridge.
(c) His love for his family.
(d) Gordon Ramsay's latest recipe book.
2. Which character 'sleeps as quiet as an eggbeater'?
3. What was unusual about the Net-Man?
(a) It was supposed to be cursed.
(b) It was a rock in the shape of a fisherman.
(c) These rocks seemed to attract nets and other lost material.
(d) This was a series of rocks that imprisoned fish, like a net.
4. What evidence confirms to Agnis that she had seen a man close by?
(a) Footprints of fishing boots.
(b) The smell of pomade and pipe tobacco.
(c) A dropped cigarette pack.
(d) A smoldering cigarette butt.
5. Why did Carl's hair turn white?
(a) He was frightened by a moose.
(b) He had a close encounter with a giant squid or octopus.
(c) All his family went white in their thirties.
(d) He was terrified by the ghosts of nineteenth century sealers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group does Reverend Stain belong to?
2. Why does Petal telephone Quoyle from Montgomery?
3. Why does Billy go to the clinic?
4. What unusual sight do Quoyle and Wavey see as they return with the lunch basket?
5. Whose ancestor resorted to cannibalism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed to Quoyle during the trip to Gaze Island with Billy Pretty?
2. What is Quoyle's response to Billy Pretty's skepticism about him?
3. What is significant about the different ways in which Quoyle and his aunt respond to the finding of Bayonet Melville's head?
4. In what way is the appearance of the Botterjacht ironic?
5. What are the implied advantages of the green house?
6. Comment on the way the writer uses the psychology of memory in this chapter.
7. What conclusions can be drawn about the origin of the money Agnis receives?
8. What does Chapter 10 show the reader about the relationship of people to the sea?
9. What does the green house on the point mean to the aunt?
10. Does Tert Card demonstrate the qualities required of a managing editor?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)