|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Quoyle is appalled about what?
(a) The dreadful weather in Newfoundland.
(b) The number of local murders.
(c) The number of sex offenders coming to court.
(d) The number of American sex offenders in Newfoundland.
2. What aspect of journalism did Nutbeem handle well?
(a) Touchy stories.
(c) Feature articles.
3. For Quoyle and his family, what problem does winter bring?
(a) The central heating bill will be massive.
(b) Heavy snow could cover the car.
(c) The road will be closed by snowfalls.
(d) The road will be slippery.
4. Where do Quoyle and Nutbeem go for the ice they need?
(a) The fish processing plant.
(b) The supermarket.
(c) They gather snow and ice at the roadside.
(d) The seashore, where they gather bits of iceberg.
5. How does Tert Card like his champagne?
(a) With a ripe peach floating in it.
(b) With strawberries sliced up in it.
(c) To be of a vintage year.
(d) To come from France.
6. Why are two men sent to Waterford for observation?
(a) Stealing a microwave.
(b) Letting a horse starve to death.
(c) Narrowly surviving drowning.
(d) Taking their clothes off.
7. How is Quoyle's routine described?
(a) As distinctive.
(b) As frenetic.
(c) As simple.
(d) As elaborate.
8. Who is poor at keeping secrets?
(a) Agnis Hamm.
(b) Billy Pretty.
9. What is Billy Pretty's attitude to travel?
(a) He says he is past the age of interest.
(b) He says it is only a passing interest.
(c) He says he wants to see the sun set in Florida.
(d) He says he might be old, but he is not too old to get on a plane.
10. What color is Mavis' hair?
(a) Dark brown.
11. In the end, what does Quoyle learn?
(a) That he's actually a good journalist.
(b) That love doesn't have to be associated with pain and misery.
(c) To manage a boat.
(d) To discipline Bunny and Sunshine.
12. Where is the McGonigle Oil Field?
(a) In Hudson Bay.
(b) Under the Grand Banks.
(c) Twenty kilometres from Killick-Claw.
(d) Between Ireland and northern Canada.
13. How is Nutbeem's bathroom unusual?
(a) There is a makeshift bath in the shower recess.
(b) There is a bidet.
(c) There is a built-in TV in the shower recess.
(d) There is an old firehose in the shower recess.
14. What news does Dennis phone through to Quoyle?
(a) That Jack Buggit has drowned.
(b) That Jack Buggit has fired him.
(c) That Nolan Quoyle has committed murder.
(d) That Jack Buggit is lost at sea.
15. Who humiliated Herry Prowse?
(a) Hetty Pretty.
(b) Mrs Lumbull.
(d) The school principal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pleasure does Wavey enjoy in St John's?
2. What landscape feature triggers the aunt's memories?
3. What is one thing Quoyle actually likes about Christmas?
4. What do Quoyle and Bunny think about going back to New York?
5. What is Quoyle very surprised to see?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)