|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the aunt do with her brother's ashes?
(a) Disposes them down the lavatory bowl.
(b) Puts them in a special urn and places this on the mantelpiece.
(c) Scatters them from the wharf.
(d) Scatters them in the woods.
2. What is the man in the dory doing?
(b) Inspecting whelk pots.
(c) Inspecting lobster pots.
(d) Diving for abolone.
3. Which of Quoyle's jobs are listed on the first page of the novel?
(a) Rope-maker and knot-tester, cab driver, third-rate journalist.
(b) Distributer of vending machine candy, all-night clerk in a convenience store, third-rate journalist.
(c) Bell-hop at a hotel, third-rate journalist, traveling salesman.
(d) Greeting card writer, bell-hop at a hotel, all-night clerk at a convenience store.
4. In what way is a nip important to a knot?
(a) The security of the knot depends upon it.
(b) It must not be undone first.
(c) It must be in strict ratio to the tuck.
(d) The finished look of the knot depends on it.
5. Identify the type of figurative language used in: 'sunset like a flock of birds on fire'.
(a) This is personification.
(b) This is metonymy.
(c) This is a metaphor.
(d) This is a simile.
6. How does Agnis describe berrying?
(a) As a damned nuisance.
(b) As pleasure to all.
(c) As a good way to find a husband.
(d) As tedious and boring.
7. Why is Home Rock important?
(a) It is the site of a shipwreck.
(b) It is a navigation point for Killick-Claw.
(c) It is home to a protected seal colony.
(d) It marks the landfall of Viking explorers.
8. What do Billy and Quoyle find?
(a) A suitcase.
(b) A flotation device.
(c) A smashed dory.
(d) A dying orca.
9. How much did the Melvilles pay Agnis for the boat upholstery?
(a) Nothing. They left during the night without settling their account.
(b) One thousand dollars.
(c) Half of what was owing, then left during the night.
(d) Two thousand dollars and twenty-nine cents.
10. After whom did the aunt name her dog?
(a) Warren hastigs.
(b) Beatrice Warren.
(c) Irene Warren.
(d) Warren Beatty.
11. How does the reader know Aunt Agnis doesn't like vinyl cladding?
(a) She says she wouldn't cross the road to buy it.
(b) She makes a Bronx cheer when it is mentioned.
(c) She says she wouldn't have it on her coffin.
(d) She abuses the salesman.
12. How old was the harbor-master when he first went to sea?
13. What injuries did Dennis sustain during the storm crisis on The Polar Grinder?
(a) He fractured his skull and right arm.
(b) Both legs were broken.
(c) His right arm and left leg were broken.
(d) Both arms were broken.
14. What visual effect does fog have, according to Billy?
(a) It makes things look smaller.
(b) It makes evrything look florid.
(c) It makes everything look yellow.
(d) It makes things look larger.
15. Who introduces Quoyle and Wavey?
(b) Agnis Hamm.
(d) Billy Pretty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character works in the school library twice a week?
2. According to stories, how was the Quoyle house brought to its present location?
3. What is the Back Buddy for?
4. Which people are described as wild, inbred half-wits and murderers?
5. What can be 'injurious as well as beneficial'?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)