|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group does Reverend Stain belong to?
(a) Opus Dei.
(b) Dignified Exit.
(c) The Freemasons.
(d) Dignified Burial Society.
2. About what does Quoyle not believe a word?
(a) The gossip concening Wavey.
(b) The gossip concening the interesting boat.
(c) Bunny's reported prowess as a sailor.
(d) His aunt's stories about the green house.
3. How much did the Melvilles pay Agnis for the boat upholstery?
(a) Nothing. They left during the night without settling their account.
(b) Half of what was owing, then left during the night.
(c) Two thousand dollars and twenty-nine cents.
(d) One thousand dollars.
4. What is the man in the dory doing?
(b) Inspecting lobster pots.
(c) Inspecting whelk pots.
(d) Diving for abolone.
5. What is the alternative name for Gaze Island?
(a) The Isle of Pines.
(b) Christmas Island.
(c) Moose Island.
(d) Whale Island.
6. Who introduces Quoyle and Wavey?
(a) Billy Pretty.
(d) Agnis Hamm.
7. Why did Carl's hair turn white?
(a) All his family went white in their thirties.
(b) He had a close encounter with a giant squid or octopus.
(c) He was frightened by a moose.
(d) He was terrified by the ghosts of nineteenth century sealers.
8. Why does Quoyle think he might have to take Wavey to the prairies?
(a) He'd like to try farming.
(b) So she will be far from memories of her husband's death.
(c) So that Herry can go to a special school.
(d) The climate might be better for her.
9. The bay's appearance on the map is shown as . . .
(a) A blue Chinese vase.
(b) A dog's leg.
(c) A chemist's pale blue flask.
(d) A bent thumb
10. How does the reader know Aunt Agnis doesn't like vinyl cladding?
(a) She abuses the salesman.
(b) She says she wouldn't cross the road to buy it.
(c) She says she wouldn't have it on her coffin.
(d) She makes a Bronx cheer when it is mentioned.
11. What has Skipper Will invented?
(a) A device for harnessing moose.
(b) A squidburger.
(c) A new style of snow-shoe.
(d) A new recipe for cod chowder.
12. How big is the iceberg Quoyle sees?
(a) As big as a ship.
(b) As big as a house.
(c) As big as a bingo hall.
(d) As big as a bowling alley.
13. What is the distinctive feature of the Quoyle house?
(a) An odd roof-line.
(b) It's painted bright green.
(c) A window flanked by two smaller ones.
(d) The carving on the gables.
14. For how many years was Quoyle married to Petal?
(b) Seven and a half.
15. What are the Tea Buns?
(a) Submerged rocks.
(b) A special cake served in England.
(c) Aunt Agnis's rock cakes.
(d) A local word for migrating gannets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it claimed that biologists have visited the Tough Baby?
2. What novel provides the inspiration for Borogrove, Nutbeem's boat?
3. What is part of the managing editor's job?
4. Which character works in the school library twice a week?
5. What unusual sight do Quoyle and Wavey see as they return with the lunch basket?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)