|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Agnis Hamm related to Quoyle's father?
(a) She is his ex-wife.
(b) She is his brother's wife.
(c) She is his sister.
(d) She is his second cousin.
2. What is the subject of the story Quoyle tells his daughters?
(a) Baby penguins.
(c) A moose.
(d) A sad dog.
3. What is described as a 'gelatinous horror'?
(a) The dessert at the restaurant at Desperate Cove.
(b) Bayonet Melville's head.
(c) A mess of decomposing cod.
(d) A squidburger.
4. Who buys sea urchin roe?
(a) The Japanese.
(b) The French.
(c) The Indonesians.
(d) The Pacific Islands.
5. What does the aunt do with her brother's ashes?
(a) Scatters them from the wharf.
(b) Puts them in a special urn and places this on the mantelpiece.
(c) Scatters them in the woods.
(d) Disposes them down the lavatory bowl.
6. What maritime connections does Quoyle have?
(a) His grandfather was a sealer.
(b) His father was a sealer.
(c) He was born at sea.
(d) His grandfather was a sea-captain.
7. Which animal are Newfoundlanders fond of?
(a) The dog.
(b) The cat.
(c) The wolf.
(d) The moose.
8. Where is the Melvilles' home?
(c) Long Island.
9. What gives Quoyle a headache?
(a) The smell of turned earth.
(b) Rinsing calamari.
(c) The steam in the kitchen.
(d) The smell of paint.
10. What is the alternative name for Gaze Island?
(a) Christmas Island.
(b) Moose Island.
(c) Whale Island.
(d) The Isle of Pines.
11. Why is it claimed that biologists have visited the Tough Baby?
(a) To inspect a new species of squid.
(b) To collect the rare marine specimens collected.
(c) To use the boat as a base for tagging Minke whales.
(d) To view the numerous carvings of animals and birds that decorate it.
12. Who is responsible for the Home News Page?
(a) Billy Pretty.
(c) Tom Pretty.
(d) Cyrus Nutbeam.
13. How does the reader know Aunt Agnis doesn't like vinyl cladding?
(a) She makes a Bronx cheer when it is mentioned.
(b) She abuses the salesman.
(c) She says she wouldn't cross the road to buy it.
(d) She says she wouldn't have it on her coffin.
14. Petal tells Mrs Moosup she will leave the little girls in . . .
(c) Moose Lake
15. What inspires Quoyle to cook interesting food?
(a) His thoughts of Partridge.
(b) Gordon Ramsay's latest recipe book.
(c) His love for his family.
(d) His determination to show that economical meals can be gourmet meals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big is the iceberg Quoyle sees?
2. Which character works in the school library twice a week?
3. What happens when Quoyle slows his boat down quickly?
4. What has Skipper Will invented?
5. What is Quoyle doing when Mr Shovel calls him?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)