|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Jack Buggit?
2. At the motel, what does Quoyle buy for his daughters?
(a) Cuddly bears.
(c) Wind-up penguins.
(d) Stuffed penguins.
3. What problem did the newsprint carrier have?
(a) A fire in the engine room.
(b) A leaky throstle.
(c) A drunken captain.
(d) A fire in the galley.
4. Why does Quoyle get to do the special column on The Shipping News?
(a) People loved his story on the Tough Baby.
(b) He is at last able to write good copy.
(c) He does it for a dare.
(d) No-one else is willing to do it.
5. How does Agnis describe berrying?
(a) As a damned nuisance.
(b) As a good way to find a husband.
(c) As pleasure to all.
(d) As tedious and boring.
6. How can the reader tell that Quoyle is self-conscious when he meets Mavis and Dawn?
(a) He thinks of Emily Dickinson.
(b) He can't look at them straight.
(c) He coughs nervously.
(d) He covers his chin.
7. Whose ancestor resorted to cannibalism?
(b) Jack Buggit's.
(c) Billy Pretty's.
8. Who introduces Quoyle and Wavey?
(c) Billy Pretty.
(d) Agnis Hamm.
9. According to stories, how was the Quoyle house brought to its present location?
(a) Cut into sections and moved in by barge.
(b) Prefabricated in Montreal and trucked in bit by bit.
(c) Dragged across the ice.
(d) Cut in half and moved by road train.
10. How does the reader know Aunt Agnis doesn't like vinyl cladding?
(a) She says she wouldn't have it on her coffin.
(b) She makes a Bronx cheer when it is mentioned.
(c) She says she wouldn't cross the road to buy it.
(d) She abuses the salesman.
11. How much money did Wavey's father make on berries in the previous year?
(a) Five hundred dollars.
(b) Two thousand dollars.
(c) A thousand dollars.
(d) Twelve hundred dollars.
12. After whom did the aunt name her dog?
(a) Warren Beatty.
(b) Warren hastigs.
(c) Beatrice Warren.
(d) Irene Warren.
13. How old was the harbor-master when he first went to sea?
14. What damage did The Polar Grinder sustain in the terrible storm?
(a) It broke in half.
(b) A crack in the steel hull from starboard to port.
(c) It was dismasted.
(d) The bridge was swept away, the captain with it.
15. Why is Dawn keen to use the electric typewriter?
(a) She is secretly writing a novel.
(b) She is keen to practice in order to get a better job.
(c) She secretly types love letters.
(d) She secretly types job applications.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Back Buddy for?
2. What creature does Quoyle see when he is clearing trash?
3. Why did Carl's hair turn white?
4. Why is it claimed that biologists have visited the Tough Baby?
5. When was Mavis Bangs first married?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)