|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Mavis Bangs first married?
(a) At eighteen.
(b) At fifteen.
(c) At twenty-two.
(d) At forty.
2. What other strange occurrence is mentioned?
(a) Frogs raining down in Misky Bay.
(b) A fall of frozen ducks.
(c) A ghost ship in the bay.
(d) The return of the Flying Dutchman.
3. How does Quoyle get the list of ships?
(a) He phones the shipping companies.
(b) He visits the harbormaster's office.
(c) He asks people at the seafront.
(d) He phones the harbormaster.
4. Why does Quoyle remove the pens from his shirt?
(a) They have been sticking into him.
(b) They get in the way.
(c) They are leaking.
(d) They are sharp.
5. What is part of the managing editor's job?
(b) Doing the police rounds.
(c) Doing the advertisements.
(d) Installing heating for the building.
6. What is the subject of the story Quoyle tells his daughters?
(a) A sad dog.
(b) Baby penguins.
(d) A moose.
7. What is The Gammy Bird?
(a) The name of a boat.
(b) The name of a newspaper.
(c) A species of gannet.
(d) The name of a motel.
8. Why does Petal telephone Quoyle from Montgomery?
(a) To ask him how to make an Alabama Slammer.
(b) To tell him she is divorcing him.
(c) To ask him how to cure a hangover.
(d) To ask him to join her there.
9. What evidence confirms to Agnis that she had seen a man close by?
(a) A smoldering cigarette butt.
(b) Footprints of fishing boots.
(c) A dropped cigarette pack.
(d) The smell of pomade and pipe tobacco.
10. After whom did the aunt name her dog?
(a) Irene Warren.
(b) Beatrice Warren.
(c) Warren Beatty.
(d) Warren hastigs.
11. What has Bunny yet to learn?
(a) To show respect for older people.
(b) To show how talented she is.
(c) To tie her shoelaces.
(d) To disguise the ways in which she is different.
12. Why does Quoyle think he might have to take Wavey to the prairies?
(a) The climate might be better for her.
(b) He'd like to try farming.
(c) So that Herry can go to a special school.
(d) So she will be far from memories of her husband's death.
13. Why does Quoyle get to do the special column on The Shipping News?
(a) He is at last able to write good copy.
(b) People loved his story on the Tough Baby.
(c) No-one else is willing to do it.
(d) He does it for a dare.
14. Who is responsible for the Home News Page?
(a) Tom Pretty.
(b) Billy Pretty.
(c) Cyrus Nutbeam.
15. How old was the harbor-master when he first went to sea?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had the Quoyles originally settled?
2. Why does Bunny need to bring a box of tissues to school?
3. What was unusual about the Net-Man?
4. Who introduces Quoyle and Wavey?
5. Whose ancestor resorted to cannibalism?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)