|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is responsible for the Home News Page?
(a) Tom Pretty.
(c) Billy Pretty.
(d) Cyrus Nutbeam.
2. Why is Gaze Island important to Billy?
(a) He owns land there.
(b) His father is buried there.
(c) He spent his honeymoon there.
(d) His wife and child are buried there.
3. What injuries did Dennis sustain during the storm crisis on The Polar Grinder?
(a) Both legs were broken.
(b) Both arms were broken.
(c) His right arm and left leg were broken.
(d) He fractured his skull and right arm.
4. What are the Tea Buns?
(a) Submerged rocks.
(b) A local word for migrating gannets.
(c) A special cake served in England.
(d) Aunt Agnis's rock cakes.
5. What was unusual about the Net-Man?
(a) It was supposed to be cursed.
(b) These rocks seemed to attract nets and other lost material.
(c) This was a series of rocks that imprisoned fish, like a net.
(d) It was a rock in the shape of a fisherman.
6. What is Quoyle doing when Mr Shovel calls him?
(a) Writing a ackground story on a car wreck near Killick-Claw.
(b) Rewriting a story Nutbeem had heard on the radio.
(c) Daydreaming about his love for Petal.
(d) Leaving to pick up Bunny.
7. How big is the iceberg Quoyle sees?
(a) As big as a bingo hall.
(b) As big as a ship.
(c) As big as a bowling alley.
(d) As big as a house.
8. What happened at Perdition Cove?
(a) A boat blew up.
(b) There was a specacular car wreck.
(c) A shop caught fire.
(d) A boat sank.
9. What function did Misky Bay fulfill during the war?
(a) A port for loading ammunition.
(b) A base for submarines.
(c) A commando training base.
(d) A refuelling port.
10. In what way is a nip important to a knot?
(a) It must not be undone first.
(b) It must be in strict ratio to the tuck.
(c) The security of the knot depends upon it.
(d) The finished look of the knot depends on it.
11. What is the alternative name for Gaze Island?
(a) Whale Island.
(b) Christmas Island.
(c) The Isle of Pines.
(d) Moose Island.
12. Which of Quoyle's jobs are listed on the first page of the novel?
(a) Bell-hop at a hotel, third-rate journalist, traveling salesman.
(b) Distributer of vending machine candy, all-night clerk in a convenience store, third-rate journalist.
(c) Greeting card writer, bell-hop at a hotel, all-night clerk at a convenience store.
(d) Rope-maker and knot-tester, cab driver, third-rate journalist.
13. What has Bunny yet to learn?
(a) To tie her shoelaces.
(b) To show how talented she is.
(c) To disguise the ways in which she is different.
(d) To show respect for older people.
14. What does the aunt do with her brother's ashes?
(a) Scatters them from the wharf.
(b) Puts them in a special urn and places this on the mantelpiece.
(c) Scatters them in the woods.
(d) Disposes them down the lavatory bowl.
15. What is The Gammy Bird?
(a) The name of a newspaper.
(b) The name of a motel.
(c) A species of gannet.
(d) The name of a boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Home Rock important?
2. What is the man in the dory doing?
3. Where is the Melvilles' home?
4. Petal tells Mrs Moosup she will leave the little girls in . . .
5. What unusual sight do Quoyle and Wavey see as they return with the lunch basket?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)