|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy like about Desperate Cove?
(a) It has a good restaurant.
(b) Real estate is good value there.
(c) It has picturesque houses.
(d) His girlfriend runs a hotel there.
2. What other strange occurrence is mentioned?
(a) The return of the Flying Dutchman.
(b) A ghost ship in the bay.
(c) A fall of frozen ducks.
(d) Frogs raining down in Misky Bay.
3. Why does Quoyle think he might have to take Wavey to the prairies?
(a) The climate might be better for her.
(b) So that Herry can go to a special school.
(c) So she will be far from memories of her husband's death.
(d) He'd like to try farming.
4. What is the man in the dory doing?
(a) Inspecting whelk pots.
(b) Diving for abolone.
(d) Inspecting lobster pots.
5. Why is Dawn keen to use the electric typewriter?
(a) She secretly types job applications.
(b) She is keen to practice in order to get a better job.
(c) She secretly types love letters.
(d) She is secretly writing a novel.
6. What is The Gammy Bird?
(a) The name of a motel.
(b) The name of a newspaper.
(c) A species of gannet.
(d) The name of a boat.
7. What unusual sight do Quoyle and Wavey see as they return with the lunch basket?
(a) A pod of whales.
(b) Green sausageweed and coralweed.
(c) A collapsing iceberg.
(d) A strange ship.
8. How does Quoyle get the list of ships?
(a) He asks people at the seafront.
(b) He visits the harbormaster's office.
(c) He phones the shipping companies.
(d) He phones the harbormaster.
9. How does Agnis describe berrying?
(a) As pleasure to all.
(b) As a damned nuisance.
(c) As a good way to find a husband.
(d) As tedious and boring.
10. Why does Petal telephone Quoyle from Montgomery?
(a) To tell him she is divorcing him.
(b) To ask him how to cure a hangover.
(c) To ask him how to make an Alabama Slammer.
(d) To ask him to join her there.
11. What function did Misky Bay fulfill during the war?
(a) A refuelling port.
(b) A port for loading ammunition.
(c) A base for submarines.
(d) A commando training base.
12. What condition does Wavey's son suffer from?
(c) Down's Syndrome.
(d) Huntington's chorea.
13. For how many years was Quoyle married to Petal?
(b) Seven and a half.
14. From what does Dawn want to escape?
(a) Her poverty.
(b) Killick-Claw in the winter.
(c) Agnis Hamm's bossiness.
(d) Mavis Bangs' constant chatter.
15. What does Wavey notice in Archie Sparks' yard?
(a) A fishing net hung to dry.
(b) A wooden poodle, painted blue.
(c) A wooden paddle set against the fence.
(d) A new clothesline.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the distinctive feature of the Quoyle house?
2. Whose ancestor resorted to cannibalism?
3. The shag is an alternative word for which bird?
4. How big is the iceberg Quoyle sees?
5. Identify the type of figurative language used in: 'sunset like a flock of birds on fire'.
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)