|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How big is the iceberg Quoyle sees?
(a) As big as a ship.
(b) As big as a house.
(c) As big as a bowling alley.
(d) As big as a bingo hall.
2. What was unusual about the Net-Man?
(a) This was a series of rocks that imprisoned fish, like a net.
(b) These rocks seemed to attract nets and other lost material.
(c) It was a rock in the shape of a fisherman.
(d) It was supposed to be cursed.
3. According to stories, how was the Quoyle house brought to its present location?
(a) Prefabricated in Montreal and trucked in bit by bit.
(b) Cut in half and moved by road train.
(c) Dragged across the ice.
(d) Cut into sections and moved in by barge.
4. When was Mavis Bangs first married?
(a) At eighteen.
(b) At fifteen.
(c) At twenty-two.
(d) At forty.
5. Who is responsible for the Home News Page?
(a) Tom Pretty.
(c) Cyrus Nutbeam.
(d) Billy Pretty.
6. Who introduces Quoyle and Wavey?
(a) Agnis Hamm.
(d) Billy Pretty.
7. Which people are described as wild, inbred half-wits and murderers?
(a) The Hamms.
(b) The Cards.
(c) The Quoyles.
(d) The Buggits.
8. What is a clove hitch?
(a) A type of knot.
(b) A spice used in French-Canadian cooking.
(c) A Canadian hitch-hiker.
(d) An old-fashioned way of pulling teeth.
9. Why is it claimed that biologists have visited the Tough Baby?
(a) To view the numerous carvings of animals and birds that decorate it.
(b) To inspect a new species of squid.
(c) To collect the rare marine specimens collected.
(d) To use the boat as a base for tagging Minke whales.
10. What bizarre tale does Nutbeem tell?
(a) Of a fish being sent to a party.
(b) Of a bouncer being assaulted with a fish.
(c) Of a ghostly sealer feasting on whale blubber.
(d) Of a woman being made to eat rotten fish.
11. How can the reader tell that Quoyle is self-conscious when he meets Mavis and Dawn?
(a) He coughs nervously.
(b) He thinks of Emily Dickinson.
(c) He covers his chin.
(d) He can't look at them straight.
12. What is described as a 'gelatinous horror'?
(a) A mess of decomposing cod.
(b) A squidburger.
(c) Bayonet Melville's head.
(d) The dessert at the restaurant at Desperate Cove.
13. Why does Billy go to the clinic?
(a) To visit Carl.
(b) To do a course in first aid.
(c) To flirt with the nurses.
(d) To have his prostate checked.
14. Why does Quoyle think he might have to take Wavey to the prairies?
(a) The climate might be better for her.
(b) So that Herry can go to a special school.
(c) He'd like to try farming.
(d) So she will be far from memories of her husband's death.
15. From what does Dawn want to escape?
(a) Mavis Bangs' constant chatter.
(b) Killick-Claw in the winter.
(c) Agnis Hamm's bossiness.
(d) Her poverty.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many years was Quoyle married to Petal?
2. What creature does Quoyle see when he is clearing trash?
3. What is the subject of the story Quoyle tells his daughters?
4. In what way does Quoyle benefit from Petal's death?
5. How does the reader know Aunt Agnis doesn't like vinyl cladding?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)