|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a clove hitch?
(a) A spice used in French-Canadian cooking.
(b) An old-fashioned way of pulling teeth.
(c) A Canadian hitch-hiker.
(d) A type of knot.
2. What inspires Quoyle to cook interesting food?
(a) His love for his family.
(b) Gordon Ramsay's latest recipe book.
(c) His determination to show that economical meals can be gourmet meals.
(d) His thoughts of Partridge.
3. Which character 'sleeps as quiet as an eggbeater'?
4. What can be 'injurious as well as beneficial'?
(a) Cod-fishing on the Grand Banks.
(b) Falling in love with a mysterious person.
(c) The mysterious power of knots.
(d) Researching and writing news stories.
5. How old is Jack Buggit?
6. When was Mavis Bangs first married?
(a) At twenty-two.
(b) At forty.
(c) At fifteen.
(d) At eighteen.
7. What is the alternative name for Gaze Island?
(a) Christmas Island.
(b) Whale Island.
(c) The Isle of Pines.
(d) Moose Island.
8. What are the Tea Buns?
(a) Submerged rocks.
(b) A special cake served in England.
(c) A local word for migrating gannets.
(d) Aunt Agnis's rock cakes.
9. In what city did Quoyle and Partridge meet?
(a) New York.
10. The bay's appearance on the map is shown as . . .
(a) A dog's leg.
(b) A blue Chinese vase.
(c) A bent thumb
(d) A chemist's pale blue flask.
11. Which people are described as wild, inbred half-wits and murderers?
(a) The Quoyles.
(b) The Hamms.
(c) The Buggits.
(d) The Cards.
12. What is the subject of the story Quoyle tells his daughters?
(a) Baby penguins.
(b) A sad dog.
(d) A moose.
13. Why is Gaze Island important to Billy?
(a) His wife and child are buried there.
(b) He spent his honeymoon there.
(c) His father is buried there.
(d) He owns land there.
14. What does Wavey notice in Archie Sparks' yard?
(a) A wooden paddle set against the fence.
(b) A new clothesline.
(c) A wooden poodle, painted blue.
(d) A fishing net hung to dry.
15. What is a synonym for 'mortification'?
(b) Locking in with a mortice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem did the newsprint carrier have?
2. Who buys sea urchin roe?
3. According to stories, how was the Quoyle house brought to its present location?
4. How can the reader tell that Quoyle is self-conscious when he meets Mavis and Dawn?
5. How much did the Melvilles pay Agnis for the boat upholstery?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)