|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What damage did The Polar Grinder sustain in the terrible storm?
(a) The bridge was swept away, the captain with it.
(b) It was dismasted.
(c) A crack in the steel hull from starboard to port.
(d) It broke in half.
2. How old is Jack Buggit?
3. What novel provides the inspiration for Borogrove, Nutbeem's boat?
(a) Alice in Wonderland.
(b) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
(c) The Daughter of Time.
(d) The Tale of Peter Rabbit.
4. What happens when Quoyle slows his boat down quickly?
(a) It capsizes.
(b) The engine stalls.
(c) Water comes in over the transom at the stern.
(d) It rolls alarmingly.
5. What function did Misky Bay fulfill during the war?
(a) A port for loading ammunition.
(b) A base for submarines.
(c) A commando training base.
(d) A refuelling port.
6. Why is it claimed that biologists have visited the Tough Baby?
(a) To inspect a new species of squid.
(b) To use the boat as a base for tagging Minke whales.
(c) To view the numerous carvings of animals and birds that decorate it.
(d) To collect the rare marine specimens collected.
7. About what does Quoyle not believe a word?
(a) Bunny's reported prowess as a sailor.
(b) His aunt's stories about the green house.
(c) The gossip concening Wavey.
(d) The gossip concening the interesting boat.
8. According to stories, how was the Quoyle house brought to its present location?
(a) Prefabricated in Montreal and trucked in bit by bit.
(b) Cut into sections and moved in by barge.
(c) Dragged across the ice.
(d) Cut in half and moved by road train.
9. What is the Back Buddy for?
(a) To give comfort and support to the spinal column.
(b) To self-massage an aching back.
(c) To keep a lookout at the back door.
(d) To supply drinks on long boat trips.
10. What evidence confirms to Agnis that she had seen a man close by?
(a) A dropped cigarette pack.
(b) The smell of pomade and pipe tobacco.
(c) A smoldering cigarette butt.
(d) Footprints of fishing boots.
11. Where is the Melvilles' home?
(a) Long Island.
12. What does Wavey notice in Archie Sparks' yard?
(a) A wooden paddle set against the fence.
(b) A fishing net hung to dry.
(c) A new clothesline.
(d) A wooden poodle, painted blue.
13. What problem did the newsprint carrier have?
(a) A fire in the engine room.
(b) A drunken captain.
(c) A leaky throstle.
(d) A fire in the galley.
14. In what city did Quoyle and Partridge meet?
(c) New York.
15. What is described as a 'gelatinous horror'?
(a) Bayonet Melville's head.
(b) A squidburger.
(c) A mess of decomposing cod.
(d) The dessert at the restaurant at Desperate Cove.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Quoyle's favorite child?
2. From what does Dawn want to escape?
3. After whom did the aunt name her dog?
4. What is a synonym for 'mortification'?
5. Which people are described as wild, inbred half-wits and murderers?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)