|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Quoyle get the list of ships?
(a) He phones the shipping companies.
(b) He asks people at the seafront.
(c) He visits the harbormaster's office.
(d) He phones the harbormaster.
2. What function did Misky Bay fulfill during the war?
(a) A commando training base.
(b) A refuelling port.
(c) A port for loading ammunition.
(d) A base for submarines.
3. What happens when Quoyle slows his boat down quickly?
(a) The engine stalls.
(b) Water comes in over the transom at the stern.
(c) It rolls alarmingly.
(d) It capsizes.
4. Why does Quoyle remove the pens from his shirt?
(a) They have been sticking into him.
(b) They are sharp.
(c) They get in the way.
(d) They are leaking.
5. What is the man in the dory doing?
(a) Inspecting whelk pots.
(b) Diving for abolone.
(d) Inspecting lobster pots.
6. Why is Home Rock important?
(a) It is a navigation point for Killick-Claw.
(b) It is home to a protected seal colony.
(c) It is the site of a shipwreck.
(d) It marks the landfall of Viking explorers.
7. Who introduces Quoyle and Wavey?
(a) Billy Pretty.
(b) Agnis Hamm.
8. Which character works in the school library twice a week?
9. How much money did Wavey's father make on berries in the previous year?
(a) Twelve hundred dollars.
(b) A thousand dollars.
(c) Five hundred dollars.
(d) Two thousand dollars.
10. What gives Quoyle a headache?
(a) The smell of paint.
(b) The smell of turned earth.
(c) Rinsing calamari.
(d) The steam in the kitchen.
11. What is described as a 'gelatinous horror'?
(a) A mess of decomposing cod.
(b) A squidburger.
(c) Bayonet Melville's head.
(d) The dessert at the restaurant at Desperate Cove.
12. What is the Back Buddy for?
(a) To keep a lookout at the back door.
(b) To self-massage an aching back.
(c) To supply drinks on long boat trips.
(d) To give comfort and support to the spinal column.
13. What problem did the newsprint carrier have?
(a) A leaky throstle.
(b) A fire in the galley.
(c) A fire in the engine room.
(d) A drunken captain.
14. From what does Dawn want to escape?
(a) Her poverty.
(b) Mavis Bangs' constant chatter.
(c) Agnis Hamm's bossiness.
(d) Killick-Claw in the winter.
15. What has Skipper Will invented?
(a) A device for harnessing moose.
(b) A squidburger.
(c) A new style of snow-shoe.
(d) A new recipe for cod chowder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which people are described as wild, inbred half-wits and murderers?
2. What job did Quoyle's father have?
3. Who buys sea urchin roe?
4. What group does Reverend Stain belong to?
5. After whom did the aunt name her dog?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)