|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which animal are Newfoundlanders fond of?
(a) The cat.
(b) The wolf.
(c) The dog.
(d) The moose.
2. What is the alternative name for Gaze Island?
(a) The Isle of Pines.
(b) Christmas Island.
(c) Moose Island.
(d) Whale Island.
3. What visual effect does fog have, according to Billy?
(a) It makes everything look yellow.
(b) It makes things look larger.
(c) It makes things look smaller.
(d) It makes evrything look florid.
4. When was Mavis Bangs first married?
(a) At eighteen.
(b) At forty.
(c) At fifteen.
(d) At twenty-two.
5. How can the reader tell that Quoyle is self-conscious when he meets Mavis and Dawn?
(a) He covers his chin.
(b) He can't look at them straight.
(c) He thinks of Emily Dickinson.
(d) He coughs nervously.
6. Why does Sunshine exclaim that it is 'a ladder house'?
(a) She sees the scaffolding all over it.
(b) In the poor light, the widow panes look like ladders.
(c) The external fire escape looks like a ladder.
(d) There is a ladder to the attic.
7. What function did Misky Bay fulfill during the war?
(a) A base for submarines.
(b) A commando training base.
(c) A port for loading ammunition.
(d) A refuelling port.
8. When is the library open?
(a) Friday and Saturday afternoons.
(b) Friday and Tuesday afternoons.
(c) Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
9. The shag is an alternative word for which bird?
(a) The puffin.
(b) The albatross.
(c) The cormorant.
(d) The Mother Carey's chicken.
10. What is Quoyle doing when Mr Shovel calls him?
(a) Leaving to pick up Bunny.
(b) Writing a ackground story on a car wreck near Killick-Claw.
(c) Daydreaming about his love for Petal.
(d) Rewriting a story Nutbeem had heard on the radio.
11. In what way is a nip important to a knot?
(a) The security of the knot depends upon it.
(b) It must not be undone first.
(c) The finished look of the knot depends on it.
(d) It must be in strict ratio to the tuck.
12. After whom did the aunt name her dog?
(a) Beatrice Warren.
(b) Irene Warren.
(c) Warren hastigs.
(d) Warren Beatty.
13. What is the Back Buddy for?
(a) To supply drinks on long boat trips.
(b) To keep a lookout at the back door.
(c) To self-massage an aching back.
(d) To give comfort and support to the spinal column.
14. What does Billy like about Desperate Cove?
(a) It has a good restaurant.
(b) It has picturesque houses.
(c) His girlfriend runs a hotel there.
(d) Real estate is good value there.
15. What has Skipper Will invented?
(a) A device for harnessing moose.
(b) A squidburger.
(c) A new style of snow-shoe.
(d) A new recipe for cod chowder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be 'injurious as well as beneficial'?
2. Why is Gaze Island important to Billy?
3. What is the meaning of the word 'atavistic'?
4. Why did Carl's hair turn white?
5. Why does Billy go to the clinic?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)