|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money did Wavey's father make on berries in the previous year?
(a) A thousand dollars.
(b) Two thousand dollars.
(c) Five hundred dollars.
(d) Twelve hundred dollars.
2. How is Agnis Hamm related to Quoyle's father?
(a) She is his second cousin.
(b) She is his ex-wife.
(c) She is his sister.
(d) She is his brother's wife.
3. What evidence confirms to Agnis that she had seen a man close by?
(a) A dropped cigarette pack.
(b) Footprints of fishing boots.
(c) A smoldering cigarette butt.
(d) The smell of pomade and pipe tobacco.
4. What injuries did Dennis sustain during the storm crisis on The Polar Grinder?
(a) His right arm and left leg were broken.
(b) Both legs were broken.
(c) He fractured his skull and right arm.
(d) Both arms were broken.
5. What is a synonym for 'mortification'?
(b) Locking in with a mortice.
6. The shag is an alternative word for which bird?
(a) The albatross.
(b) The Mother Carey's chicken.
(c) The puffin.
(d) The cormorant.
7. After whom did the aunt name her dog?
(a) Irene Warren.
(b) Warren hastigs.
(c) Beatrice Warren.
(d) Warren Beatty.
8. What visual effect does fog have, according to Billy?
(a) It makes things look larger.
(b) It makes things look smaller.
(c) It makes evrything look florid.
(d) It makes everything look yellow.
9. How big is the iceberg Quoyle sees?
(a) As big as a bowling alley.
(b) As big as a ship.
(c) As big as a bingo hall.
(d) As big as a house.
10. What has Bunny yet to learn?
(a) To show respect for older people.
(b) To disguise the ways in which she is different.
(c) To tie her shoelaces.
(d) To show how talented she is.
11. What group does Reverend Stain belong to?
(a) Opus Dei.
(b) Dignified Exit.
(c) The Freemasons.
(d) Dignified Burial Society.
12. How does the reader know Aunt Agnis doesn't like vinyl cladding?
(a) She abuses the salesman.
(b) She makes a Bronx cheer when it is mentioned.
(c) She says she wouldn't cross the road to buy it.
(d) She says she wouldn't have it on her coffin.
13. How old was the harbor-master when he first went to sea?
14. What damage did The Polar Grinder sustain in the terrible storm?
(a) The bridge was swept away, the captain with it.
(b) It was dismasted.
(c) It broke in half.
(d) A crack in the steel hull from starboard to port.
15. How does Agnis describe berrying?
(a) As a good way to find a husband.
(b) As a damned nuisance.
(c) As tedious and boring.
(d) As pleasure to all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Gaze Island important to Billy?
2. What does Wavey notice in Archie Sparks' yard?
3. Which character works in the school library twice a week?
4. The bay's appearance on the map is shown as . . .
5. Who introduces Quoyle and Wavey?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)