|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Tea Buns?
(a) Submerged rocks.
(b) Aunt Agnis's rock cakes.
(c) A special cake served in England.
(d) A local word for migrating gannets.
2. What is the distinctive feature of the Quoyle house?
(a) A window flanked by two smaller ones.
(b) It's painted bright green.
(c) An odd roof-line.
(d) The carving on the gables.
3. What complicates the family's stay at the motel?
(a) The aunt gets drunk.
(b) People complain about the dog.
(c) They become locked in their room.
(d) Quoyle accidentally locks himself in the bathroom.
4. How does the reader know Aunt Agnis doesn't like vinyl cladding?
(a) She says she wouldn't have it on her coffin.
(b) She says she wouldn't cross the road to buy it.
(c) She makes a Bronx cheer when it is mentioned.
(d) She abuses the salesman.
5. What visual effect does fog have, according to Billy?
(a) It makes evrything look florid.
(b) It makes things look larger.
(c) It makes everything look yellow.
(d) It makes things look smaller.
6. Which character works in the school library twice a week?
7. What is a synonym for 'mortification'?
(a) Locking in with a mortice.
8. How much did the Melvilles pay Agnis for the boat upholstery?
(a) Two thousand dollars and twenty-nine cents.
(b) Nothing. They left during the night without settling their account.
(c) Half of what was owing, then left during the night.
(d) One thousand dollars.
9. What happens when Quoyle slows his boat down quickly?
(a) It rolls alarmingly.
(b) The engine stalls.
(c) It capsizes.
(d) Water comes in over the transom at the stern.
10. What condition does Wavey's son suffer from?
(a) Down's Syndrome.
(b) Huntington's chorea.
11. What is a clove hitch?
(a) A spice used in French-Canadian cooking.
(b) An old-fashioned way of pulling teeth.
(c) A type of knot.
(d) A Canadian hitch-hiker.
12. How much money did Wavey's father make on berries in the previous year?
(a) Two thousand dollars.
(b) A thousand dollars.
(c) Twelve hundred dollars.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
13. What was unusual about the Net-Man?
(a) This was a series of rocks that imprisoned fish, like a net.
(b) These rocks seemed to attract nets and other lost material.
(c) It was a rock in the shape of a fisherman.
(d) It was supposed to be cursed.
14. How does Quoyle get the list of ships?
(a) He phones the harbormaster.
(b) He asks people at the seafront.
(c) He visits the harbormaster's office.
(d) He phones the shipping companies.
15. Whose ancestor resorted to cannibalism?
(a) Billy Pretty's.
(d) Jack Buggit's.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to stories, how was the Quoyle house brought to its present location?
2. At the motel, what does Quoyle buy for his daughters?
3. Which character 'sleeps as quiet as an eggbeater'?
4. In what way does Quoyle benefit from Petal's death?
5. Who is responsible for the Home News Page?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)