|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did the Melvilles pay Agnis for the boat upholstery?
(a) Nothing. They left during the night without settling their account.
(b) One thousand dollars.
(c) Two thousand dollars and twenty-nine cents.
(d) Half of what was owing, then left during the night.
2. What problem did the newsprint carrier have?
(a) A fire in the engine room.
(b) A drunken captain.
(c) A leaky throstle.
(d) A fire in the galley.
3. What damage did The Polar Grinder sustain in the terrible storm?
(a) A crack in the steel hull from starboard to port.
(b) It broke in half.
(c) It was dismasted.
(d) The bridge was swept away, the captain with it.
4. What inspires Quoyle to cook interesting food?
(a) Gordon Ramsay's latest recipe book.
(b) His love for his family.
(c) His thoughts of Partridge.
(d) His determination to show that economical meals can be gourmet meals.
5. What happened at Perdition Cove?
(a) A boat sank.
(b) A shop caught fire.
(c) There was a specacular car wreck.
(d) A boat blew up.
6. What is a synonym for 'mortification'?
(a) Locking in with a mortice.
7. Why is Dawn keen to use the electric typewriter?
(a) She secretly types job applications.
(b) She is secretly writing a novel.
(c) She secretly types love letters.
(d) She is keen to practice in order to get a better job.
8. What does Wavey notice in Archie Sparks' yard?
(a) A wooden paddle set against the fence.
(b) A new clothesline.
(c) A wooden poodle, painted blue.
(d) A fishing net hung to dry.
9. How much money did Wavey's father make on berries in the previous year?
(a) Two thousand dollars.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) A thousand dollars.
(d) Twelve hundred dollars.
10. What does Billy like about Desperate Cove?
(a) His girlfriend runs a hotel there.
(b) It has picturesque houses.
(c) Real estate is good value there.
(d) It has a good restaurant.
11. What is the alternative name for Gaze Island?
(a) Christmas Island.
(b) Moose Island.
(c) The Isle of Pines.
(d) Whale Island.
12. Which character 'sleeps as quiet as an eggbeater'?
13. Why does Quoyle remove the pens from his shirt?
(a) They are sharp.
(b) They are leaking.
(c) They get in the way.
(d) They have been sticking into him.
14. Petal tells Mrs Moosup she will leave the little girls in . . .
(c) Moose Lake
15. What gives Quoyle a headache?
(a) The smell of paint.
(b) The steam in the kitchen.
(c) Rinsing calamari.
(d) The smell of turned earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the reader know Aunt Agnis doesn't like vinyl cladding?
2. What is Quoyle doing when Mr Shovel calls him?
3. What can be 'injurious as well as beneficial'?
4. What creature does Quoyle see when he is clearing trash?
5. According to stories, how was the Quoyle house brought to its present location?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)