|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a synonym for 'mortification'?
(a) Locking in with a mortice.
2. In what way is a nip important to a knot?
(a) It must be in strict ratio to the tuck.
(b) The security of the knot depends upon it.
(c) The finished look of the knot depends on it.
(d) It must not be undone first.
3. What other strange occurrence is mentioned?
(a) A ghost ship in the bay.
(b) Frogs raining down in Misky Bay.
(c) The return of the Flying Dutchman.
(d) A fall of frozen ducks.
4. What happened at Perdition Cove?
(a) A boat blew up.
(b) There was a specacular car wreck.
(c) A boat sank.
(d) A shop caught fire.
5. What does the aunt do with her brother's ashes?
(a) Disposes them down the lavatory bowl.
(b) Puts them in a special urn and places this on the mantelpiece.
(c) Scatters them in the woods.
(d) Scatters them from the wharf.
6. What gives Quoyle a headache?
(a) The steam in the kitchen.
(b) The smell of turned earth.
(c) The smell of paint.
(d) Rinsing calamari.
7. According to stories, how was the Quoyle house brought to its present location?
(a) Cut into sections and moved in by barge.
(b) Cut in half and moved by road train.
(c) Dragged across the ice.
(d) Prefabricated in Montreal and trucked in bit by bit.
8. What does Wavey notice in Archie Sparks' yard?
(a) A wooden paddle set against the fence.
(b) A wooden poodle, painted blue.
(c) A new clothesline.
(d) A fishing net hung to dry.
9. Which animal are Newfoundlanders fond of?
(a) The moose.
(b) The dog.
(c) The cat.
(d) The wolf.
10. What inspires Quoyle to cook interesting food?
(a) Gordon Ramsay's latest recipe book.
(b) His love for his family.
(c) His thoughts of Partridge.
(d) His determination to show that economical meals can be gourmet meals.
11. The shag is an alternative word for which bird?
(a) The Mother Carey's chicken.
(b) The cormorant.
(c) The puffin.
(d) The albatross.
12. Why did Carl's hair turn white?
(a) He was frightened by a moose.
(b) All his family went white in their thirties.
(c) He had a close encounter with a giant squid or octopus.
(d) He was terrified by the ghosts of nineteenth century sealers.
13. Who is responsible for the Home News Page?
(a) Cyrus Nutbeam.
(b) Billy Pretty.
(d) Tom Pretty.
14. What does Billy like about Desperate Cove?
(a) It has a good restaurant.
(b) His girlfriend runs a hotel there.
(c) Real estate is good value there.
(d) It has picturesque houses.
15. What happens when Quoyle slows his boat down quickly?
(a) It capsizes.
(b) The engine stalls.
(c) Water comes in over the transom at the stern.
(d) It rolls alarmingly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What novel provides the inspiration for Borogrove, Nutbeem's boat?
2. How much did the Melvilles pay Agnis for the boat upholstery?
3. What job did Quoyle's father have?
4. Whose ancestor resorted to cannibalism?
5. Where had the Quoyles originally settled?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)