|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which animal are Newfoundlanders fond of?
(a) The cat.
(b) The wolf.
(c) The moose.
(d) The dog.
2. Why is Dawn keen to use the electric typewriter?
(a) She secretly types love letters.
(b) She is keen to practice in order to get a better job.
(c) She secretly types job applications.
(d) She is secretly writing a novel.
3. For how many years was Quoyle married to Petal?
(c) Seven and a half.
4. What novel provides the inspiration for Borogrove, Nutbeem's boat?
(a) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
(b) Alice in Wonderland.
(c) The Daughter of Time.
(d) The Tale of Peter Rabbit.
5. Petal tells Mrs Moosup she will leave the little girls in . . .
(b) Moose Lake
6. What does Billy like about Desperate Cove?
(a) Real estate is good value there.
(b) His girlfriend runs a hotel there.
(c) It has picturesque houses.
(d) It has a good restaurant.
7. What can be 'injurious as well as beneficial'?
(a) Falling in love with a mysterious person.
(b) Cod-fishing on the Grand Banks.
(c) The mysterious power of knots.
(d) Researching and writing news stories.
8. Whose ancestor resorted to cannibalism?
(b) Billy Pretty's.
(d) Jack Buggit's.
9. Which character 'sleeps as quiet as an eggbeater'?
10. What is a clove hitch?
(a) A spice used in French-Canadian cooking.
(b) A type of knot.
(c) An old-fashioned way of pulling teeth.
(d) A Canadian hitch-hiker.
11. What is a synonym for 'mortification'?
(c) Locking in with a mortice.
12. Which character works in the school library twice a week?
13. Who was Quoyle's favorite child?
14. What problem did the newsprint carrier have?
(a) A drunken captain.
(b) A leaky throstle.
(c) A fire in the galley.
(d) A fire in the engine room.
15. Who is responsible for the Home News Page?
(a) Billy Pretty.
(b) Tom Pretty.
(c) Cyrus Nutbeam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What function did Misky Bay fulfill during the war?
2. Identify the type of figurative language used in: 'sunset like a flock of birds on fire'.
3. How much did the Melvilles pay Agnis for the boat upholstery?
4. How does the reader know Aunt Agnis doesn't like vinyl cladding?
5. Why is it claimed that biologists have visited the Tough Baby?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)