|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the motel, what does Quoyle buy for his daughters?
(b) Stuffed penguins.
(c) Wind-up penguins.
(d) Cuddly bears.
2. Whose ancestor resorted to cannibalism?
(c) Billy Pretty's.
(d) Jack Buggit's.
3. What complicates the family's stay at the motel?
(a) They become locked in their room.
(b) The aunt gets drunk.
(c) Quoyle accidentally locks himself in the bathroom.
(d) People complain about the dog.
4. What evidence confirms to Agnis that she had seen a man close by?
(a) A smoldering cigarette butt.
(b) A dropped cigarette pack.
(c) Footprints of fishing boots.
(d) The smell of pomade and pipe tobacco.
5. According to stories, how was the Quoyle house brought to its present location?
(a) Cut in half and moved by road train.
(b) Prefabricated in Montreal and trucked in bit by bit.
(c) Dragged across the ice.
(d) Cut into sections and moved in by barge.
6. How old is Jack Buggit?
7. What job did Quoyle's father have?
(a) Clothing buyer for Wal-Mart.
(b) Produce manager in a supermarket.
(c) Hardware manager in a supermarket.
(d) Hardware buyer at Macy's.
8. How does the reader know Aunt Agnis doesn't like vinyl cladding?
(a) She abuses the salesman.
(b) She makes a Bronx cheer when it is mentioned.
(c) She says she wouldn't have it on her coffin.
(d) She says she wouldn't cross the road to buy it.
9. From what does Dawn want to escape?
(a) Killick-Claw in the winter.
(b) Agnis Hamm's bossiness.
(c) Her poverty.
(d) Mavis Bangs' constant chatter.
10. What do Billy and Quoyle find?
(a) A smashed dory.
(b) A suitcase.
(c) A flotation device.
(d) A dying orca.
11. Why does Quoyle get to do the special column on The Shipping News?
(a) People loved his story on the Tough Baby.
(b) He is at last able to write good copy.
(c) He does it for a dare.
(d) No-one else is willing to do it.
12. What is the distinctive feature of the Quoyle house?
(a) The carving on the gables.
(b) It's painted bright green.
(c) A window flanked by two smaller ones.
(d) An odd roof-line.
13. What is the alternative name for Gaze Island?
(a) Whale Island.
(b) The Isle of Pines.
(c) Christmas Island.
(d) Moose Island.
14. Which of Quoyle's jobs are listed on the first page of the novel?
(a) Greeting card writer, bell-hop at a hotel, all-night clerk at a convenience store.
(b) Bell-hop at a hotel, third-rate journalist, traveling salesman.
(c) Distributer of vending machine candy, all-night clerk in a convenience store, third-rate journalist.
(d) Rope-maker and knot-tester, cab driver, third-rate journalist.
15. For how many years was Quoyle married to Petal?
(c) Seven and a half.
Short Answer Questions
1. What creature does Quoyle see when he is clearing trash?
2. What does the aunt do with her brother's ashes?
3. What condition does Wavey's son suffer from?
4. What novel provides the inspiration for Borogrove, Nutbeem's boat?
5. Why is Gaze Island important to Billy?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)