|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is responsible for the Home News Page?
(a) Tom Pretty.
(b) Billy Pretty.
(d) Cyrus Nutbeam.
2. How old was the harbor-master when he first went to sea?
3. Who introduces Quoyle and Wavey?
(b) Agnis Hamm.
(d) Billy Pretty.
4. Petal tells Mrs Moosup she will leave the little girls in . . .
(b) Moose Lake
5. Why does Petal telephone Quoyle from Montgomery?
(a) To tell him she is divorcing him.
(b) To ask him how to make an Alabama Slammer.
(c) To ask him how to cure a hangover.
(d) To ask him to join her there.
6. Why is Gaze Island important to Billy?
(a) He owns land there.
(b) His wife and child are buried there.
(c) He spent his honeymoon there.
(d) His father is buried there.
7. What does the aunt do with her brother's ashes?
(a) Disposes them down the lavatory bowl.
(b) Puts them in a special urn and places this on the mantelpiece.
(c) Scatters them from the wharf.
(d) Scatters them in the woods.
8. What is described as a 'gelatinous horror'?
(a) A mess of decomposing cod.
(b) A squidburger.
(c) Bayonet Melville's head.
(d) The dessert at the restaurant at Desperate Cove.
9. The bay's appearance on the map is shown as . . .
(a) A dog's leg.
(b) A blue Chinese vase.
(c) A chemist's pale blue flask.
(d) A bent thumb
10. What inspires Quoyle to cook interesting food?
(a) His thoughts of Partridge.
(b) His love for his family.
(c) Gordon Ramsay's latest recipe book.
(d) His determination to show that economical meals can be gourmet meals.
11. What group does Reverend Stain belong to?
(a) Opus Dei.
(b) Dignified Burial Society.
(c) The Freemasons.
(d) Dignified Exit.
12. What has Skipper Will invented?
(a) A squidburger.
(b) A device for harnessing moose.
(c) A new recipe for cod chowder.
(d) A new style of snow-shoe.
13. What is the alternative name for Gaze Island?
(a) Moose Island.
(b) Whale Island.
(c) Christmas Island.
(d) The Isle of Pines.
14. What unusual sight do Quoyle and Wavey see as they return with the lunch basket?
(a) A pod of whales.
(b) A collapsing iceberg.
(c) Green sausageweed and coralweed.
(d) A strange ship.
15. How can the reader tell that Quoyle is self-conscious when he meets Mavis and Dawn?
(a) He can't look at them straight.
(b) He coughs nervously.
(c) He covers his chin.
(d) He thinks of Emily Dickinson.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Quoyle get the list of ships?
2. Why does Quoyle remove the pens from his shirt?
3. For how many years was Quoyle married to Petal?
4. Who was Quoyle's favorite child?
5. What job did Quoyle's father have?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)