|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how many years was Quoyle married to Petal?
(a) Seven and a half.
2. How much money did Wavey's father make on berries in the previous year?
(a) Twelve hundred dollars.
(b) A thousand dollars.
(c) Five hundred dollars.
(d) Two thousand dollars.
3. Who is responsible for the Home News Page?
(a) Tom Pretty.
(c) Billy Pretty.
(d) Cyrus Nutbeam.
4. What novel provides the inspiration for Borogrove, Nutbeem's boat?
(a) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
(b) The Tale of Peter Rabbit.
(c) The Daughter of Time.
(d) Alice in Wonderland.
5. Whose ancestor resorted to cannibalism?
(a) Billy Pretty's.
(c) Jack Buggit's.
6. Which people are described as wild, inbred half-wits and murderers?
(a) The Hamms.
(b) The Cards.
(c) The Buggits.
(d) The Quoyles.
7. Where is the Melvilles' home?
(d) Long Island.
8. In what way does Quoyle benefit from Petal's death?
(a) He has sole care of the children and he has Petal's insurance money.
(b) He has Petal's insurance money and a house in Florida.
(c) He gets to keep the car.
(d) Her insurance money makes him a millionaire.
9. Why is Gaze Island important to Billy?
(a) He spent his honeymoon there.
(b) He owns land there.
(c) His wife and child are buried there.
(d) His father is buried there.
10. How does Quoyle get the list of ships?
(a) He visits the harbormaster's office.
(b) He asks people at the seafront.
(c) He phones the harbormaster.
(d) He phones the shipping companies.
11. What maritime connections does Quoyle have?
(a) His father was a sealer.
(b) His grandfather was a sea-captain.
(c) He was born at sea.
(d) His grandfather was a sealer.
12. Who introduces Quoyle and Wavey?
(c) Billy Pretty.
(d) Agnis Hamm.
13. What can be 'injurious as well as beneficial'?
(a) Falling in love with a mysterious person.
(b) Researching and writing news stories.
(c) The mysterious power of knots.
(d) Cod-fishing on the Grand Banks.
14. In what city did Quoyle and Partridge meet?
(c) New York.
15. What gives Quoyle a headache?
(a) The smell of turned earth.
(b) The smell of paint.
(c) Rinsing calamari.
(d) The steam in the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big is the iceberg Quoyle sees?
2. Which character works in the school library twice a week?
3. What do Billy and Quoyle find?
4. What happened at Perdition Cove?
5. How much did the Melvilles pay Agnis for the boat upholstery?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)