Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Quoyle think he might have to take Wavey to the prairies?
(a) He'd like to try farming.
(b) The climate might be better for her.
(c) So she will be far from memories of her husband's death.
(d) So that Herry can go to a special school.
2. According to stories, how was the Quoyle house brought to its present location?
(a) Dragged across the ice.
(b) Cut into sections and moved in by barge.
(c) Prefabricated in Montreal and trucked in bit by bit.
(d) Cut in half and moved by road train.
3. Which character 'sleeps as quiet as an eggbeater'?
4. Who was Quoyle's favorite child?
5. What injuries did Dennis sustain during the storm crisis on The Polar Grinder?
(a) His right arm and left leg were broken.
(b) Both legs were broken.
(c) Both arms were broken.
(d) He fractured his skull and right arm.
6. When was Mavis Bangs first married?
(a) At forty.
(b) At fifteen.
(c) At eighteen.
(d) At twenty-two.
7. What job did Quoyle's father have?
(a) Clothing buyer for Wal-Mart.
(b) Produce manager in a supermarket.
(c) Hardware buyer at Macy's.
(d) Hardware manager in a supermarket.
8. Why does Bunny need to bring a box of tissues to school?
(a) She's been told these are needed for Art classes.
(b) For making papier-mache.
(c) She's been told that the school cannot afford to supply tissues.
(d) For stuffling pincushions.
9. Why does Petal telephone Quoyle from Montgomery?
(a) To ask him how to cure a hangover.
(b) To tell him she is divorcing him.
(c) To ask him how to make an Alabama Slammer.
(d) To ask him to join her there.
10. What does Wavey notice in Archie Sparks' yard?
(a) A new clothesline.
(b) A wooden poodle, painted blue.
(c) A fishing net hung to dry.
(d) A wooden paddle set against the fence.
11. How is Agnis Hamm related to Quoyle's father?
(a) She is his second cousin.
(b) She is his ex-wife.
(c) She is his sister.
(d) She is his brother's wife.
12. Identify the type of figurative language used in: 'sunset like a flock of birds on fire'.
(a) This is a simile.
(b) This is personification.
(c) This is metonymy.
(d) This is a metaphor.
13. Why does Quoyle get to do the special column on The Shipping News?
(a) He does it for a dare.
(b) No-one else is willing to do it.
(c) People loved his story on the Tough Baby.
(d) He is at last able to write good copy.
14. What was unusual about the Net-Man?
(a) It was a rock in the shape of a fisherman.
(b) It was supposed to be cursed.
(c) These rocks seemed to attract nets and other lost material.
(d) This was a series of rocks that imprisoned fish, like a net.
15. How old is Jack Buggit?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Billy and Quoyle find?
2. How old was the harbor-master when he first went to sea?
3. What function did Misky Bay fulfill during the war?
4. What is the distinctive feature of the Quoyle house?
5. What happens when Quoyle slows his boat down quickly?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)