|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character works in the school library twice a week?
2. Why does Quoyle get to do the special column on The Shipping News?
(a) He is at last able to write good copy.
(b) No-one else is willing to do it.
(c) He does it for a dare.
(d) People loved his story on the Tough Baby.
3. From what does Dawn want to escape?
(a) Killick-Claw in the winter.
(b) Her poverty.
(c) Agnis Hamm's bossiness.
(d) Mavis Bangs' constant chatter.
4. Petal tells Mrs Moosup she will leave the little girls in . . .
(c) Moose Lake
5. The shag is an alternative word for which bird?
(a) The albatross.
(b) The cormorant.
(c) The puffin.
(d) The Mother Carey's chicken.
6. What gives Quoyle a headache?
(a) The smell of paint.
(b) The smell of turned earth.
(c) The steam in the kitchen.
(d) Rinsing calamari.
7. Why did Carl's hair turn white?
(a) All his family went white in their thirties.
(b) He was terrified by the ghosts of nineteenth century sealers.
(c) He had a close encounter with a giant squid or octopus.
(d) He was frightened by a moose.
8. What other strange occurrence is mentioned?
(a) A fall of frozen ducks.
(b) Frogs raining down in Misky Bay.
(c) The return of the Flying Dutchman.
(d) A ghost ship in the bay.
9. What creature does Quoyle see when he is clearing trash?
(a) A moose.
(b) A Minke whale.
(c) An albatross.
(d) A Southern Right whale.
10. What can be 'injurious as well as beneficial'?
(a) The mysterious power of knots.
(b) Cod-fishing on the Grand Banks.
(c) Researching and writing news stories.
(d) Falling in love with a mysterious person.
11. What is the man in the dory doing?
(a) Inspecting whelk pots.
(b) Diving for abolone.
(c) Inspecting lobster pots.
12. When is the library open?
(a) Friday and Saturday afternoons.
(b) Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
(c) Friday and Tuesday afternoons.
13. How old is Jack Buggit?
14. What condition does Wavey's son suffer from?
(b) Down's Syndrome.
(d) Huntington's chorea.
15. What complicates the family's stay at the motel?
(a) They become locked in their room.
(b) The aunt gets drunk.
(c) Quoyle accidentally locks himself in the bathroom.
(d) People complain about the dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Identify the type of figurative language used in: 'sunset like a flock of birds on fire'.
2. How much did the Melvilles pay Agnis for the boat upholstery?
3. Which animal are Newfoundlanders fond of?
4. Why does Bunny need to bring a box of tissues to school?
5. What happens when Quoyle slows his boat down quickly?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)