|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did the Melvilles pay Agnis for the boat upholstery?
(a) Nothing. They left during the night without settling their account.
(b) Half of what was owing, then left during the night.
(c) One thousand dollars.
(d) Two thousand dollars and twenty-nine cents.
2. Identify the type of figurative language used in: 'sunset like a flock of birds on fire'.
(a) This is metonymy.
(b) This is a simile.
(c) This is personification.
(d) This is a metaphor.
3. Which of Quoyle's jobs are listed on the first page of the novel?
(a) Rope-maker and knot-tester, cab driver, third-rate journalist.
(b) Bell-hop at a hotel, third-rate journalist, traveling salesman.
(c) Distributer of vending machine candy, all-night clerk in a convenience store, third-rate journalist.
(d) Greeting card writer, bell-hop at a hotel, all-night clerk at a convenience store.
4. What inspires Quoyle to cook interesting food?
(a) His love for his family.
(b) His determination to show that economical meals can be gourmet meals.
(c) Gordon Ramsay's latest recipe book.
(d) His thoughts of Partridge.
5. How big is the iceberg Quoyle sees?
(a) As big as a bowling alley.
(b) As big as a ship.
(c) As big as a bingo hall.
(d) As big as a house.
6. What other strange occurrence is mentioned?
(a) The return of the Flying Dutchman.
(b) A ghost ship in the bay.
(c) Frogs raining down in Misky Bay.
(d) A fall of frozen ducks.
7. The bay's appearance on the map is shown as . . .
(a) A dog's leg.
(b) A blue Chinese vase.
(c) A chemist's pale blue flask.
(d) A bent thumb
8. Why did Carl's hair turn white?
(a) All his family went white in their thirties.
(b) He was frightened by a moose.
(c) He was terrified by the ghosts of nineteenth century sealers.
(d) He had a close encounter with a giant squid or octopus.
9. What is the subject of the story Quoyle tells his daughters?
(a) A moose.
(b) A sad dog.
(c) Baby penguins.
10. What is part of the managing editor's job?
(b) Doing the police rounds.
(c) Doing the advertisements.
(d) Installing heating for the building.
11. Which character works in the school library twice a week?
12. What complicates the family's stay at the motel?
(a) People complain about the dog.
(b) The aunt gets drunk.
(c) They become locked in their room.
(d) Quoyle accidentally locks himself in the bathroom.
13. Why does Sunshine exclaim that it is 'a ladder house'?
(a) There is a ladder to the attic.
(b) The external fire escape looks like a ladder.
(c) In the poor light, the widow panes look like ladders.
(d) She sees the scaffolding all over it.
14. How is Agnis Hamm related to Quoyle's father?
(a) She is his ex-wife.
(b) She is his brother's wife.
(c) She is his sister.
(d) She is his second cousin.
15. How old is Jack Buggit?
Short Answer Questions
1. What creature does Quoyle see when he is clearing trash?
2. Whose ancestor resorted to cannibalism?
3. Who was Quoyle's favorite child?
4. What is the meaning of the word 'atavistic'?
5. Who introduces Quoyle and Wavey?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)