|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Quoyle's jobs are listed on the first page of the novel?
(a) Bell-hop at a hotel, third-rate journalist, traveling salesman.
(b) Distributer of vending machine candy, all-night clerk in a convenience store, third-rate journalist.
(c) Rope-maker and knot-tester, cab driver, third-rate journalist.
(d) Greeting card writer, bell-hop at a hotel, all-night clerk at a convenience store.
2. When is the library open?
(b) Friday and Tuesday afternoons.
(c) Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
(d) Friday and Saturday afternoons.
3. How old is Jack Buggit?
4. Who was Quoyle's favorite child?
5. Why does Sunshine exclaim that it is 'a ladder house'?
(a) The external fire escape looks like a ladder.
(b) In the poor light, the widow panes look like ladders.
(c) There is a ladder to the attic.
(d) She sees the scaffolding all over it.
6. Petal tells Mrs Moosup she will leave the little girls in . . .
(d) Moose Lake
7. What is the meaning of the word 'atavistic'?
(a) Being unable to speak.
(c) Primitive and ignorant.
(d) Reversion to an earlier type.
8. What is a clove hitch?
(a) A spice used in French-Canadian cooking.
(b) An old-fashioned way of pulling teeth.
(c) A type of knot.
(d) A Canadian hitch-hiker.
9. What is the man in the dory doing?
(a) Diving for abolone.
(b) Inspecting lobster pots.
(d) Inspecting whelk pots.
10. How does Quoyle get the list of ships?
(a) He asks people at the seafront.
(b) He visits the harbormaster's office.
(c) He phones the shipping companies.
(d) He phones the harbormaster.
11. What group does Reverend Stain belong to?
(a) The Freemasons.
(b) Opus Dei.
(c) Dignified Exit.
(d) Dignified Burial Society.
12. The shag is an alternative word for which bird?
(a) The Mother Carey's chicken.
(b) The albatross.
(c) The puffin.
(d) The cormorant.
13. How old was the harbor-master when he first went to sea?
14. Why did Carl's hair turn white?
(a) He had a close encounter with a giant squid or octopus.
(b) He was terrified by the ghosts of nineteenth century sealers.
(c) All his family went white in their thirties.
(d) He was frightened by a moose.
15. What condition does Wavey's son suffer from?
(a) Down's Syndrome.
(c) Huntington's chorea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Quoyle slows his boat down quickly?
2. After whom did the aunt name her dog?
3. What maritime connections does Quoyle have?
4. Why is Dawn keen to use the electric typewriter?
5. Which people are described as wild, inbred half-wits and murderers?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)