|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What creature does Quoyle see when he is clearing trash?
(a) A Southern Right whale.
(b) A Minke whale.
(c) A moose.
(d) An albatross.
2. Why did Carl's hair turn white?
(a) He was terrified by the ghosts of nineteenth century sealers.
(b) All his family went white in their thirties.
(c) He had a close encounter with a giant squid or octopus.
(d) He was frightened by a moose.
3. What is a synonym for 'mortification'?
(c) Locking in with a mortice.
4. What gives Quoyle a headache?
(a) Rinsing calamari.
(b) The steam in the kitchen.
(c) The smell of turned earth.
(d) The smell of paint.
5. What injuries did Dennis sustain during the storm crisis on The Polar Grinder?
(a) Both legs were broken.
(b) He fractured his skull and right arm.
(c) His right arm and left leg were broken.
(d) Both arms were broken.
6. What is part of the managing editor's job?
(a) Doing the advertisements.
(b) Installing heating for the building.
(d) Doing the police rounds.
7. How old is Jack Buggit?
8. How does the reader know Aunt Agnis doesn't like vinyl cladding?
(a) She says she wouldn't cross the road to buy it.
(b) She makes a Bronx cheer when it is mentioned.
(c) She abuses the salesman.
(d) She says she wouldn't have it on her coffin.
9. What are the Tea Buns?
(a) A local word for migrating gannets.
(b) Submerged rocks.
(c) A special cake served in England.
(d) Aunt Agnis's rock cakes.
10. What is the Back Buddy for?
(a) To keep a lookout at the back door.
(b) To self-massage an aching back.
(c) To give comfort and support to the spinal column.
(d) To supply drinks on long boat trips.
11. What is the meaning of the word 'atavistic'?
(b) Primitive and ignorant.
(c) Reversion to an earlier type.
(d) Being unable to speak.
12. What visual effect does fog have, according to Billy?
(a) It makes things look larger.
(b) It makes everything look yellow.
(c) It makes things look smaller.
(d) It makes evrything look florid.
13. After whom did the aunt name her dog?
(a) Beatrice Warren.
(b) Irene Warren.
(c) Warren hastigs.
(d) Warren Beatty.
14. What inspires Quoyle to cook interesting food?
(a) Gordon Ramsay's latest recipe book.
(b) His determination to show that economical meals can be gourmet meals.
(c) His thoughts of Partridge.
(d) His love for his family.
15. Why does Quoyle think he might have to take Wavey to the prairies?
(a) He'd like to try farming.
(b) So that Herry can go to a special school.
(c) So she will be far from memories of her husband's death.
(d) The climate might be better for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other strange occurrence is mentioned?
2. How can the reader tell that Quoyle is self-conscious when he meets Mavis and Dawn?
3. What is the subject of the story Quoyle tells his daughters?
4. What was unusual about the Net-Man?
5. About what does Quoyle not believe a word?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)