|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kit wish she and Port were traveling to instead of El Ga'a?
2. Who organizes Port's funeral?
3. Who discovers Port's missing passport?
4. How many cots does the military hospital have at their disposal?
5. What size is Belqassim's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What basic necessities is the military hospital missing when Port arrives there?
2. How does the American embassy propose getting Kit back home to America?
3. How does Port treat Kit when she returns home after visiting with Daoud Zozeph?
4. How does Kit know that Port's heath is deteriorating during the train ride to El Ga'a?
5. How do the merchants treat Kit when they reach the end of their travels?
6. What happens when the Lyles check in to the same hotel that Tunner is staying in with Port's passport?
7. What accusations does Captain Broussard make regarding Kit's relationship with Port?
8. What happens when Tunner arrives in El Ga'a with Port's passport
9. How do the merchants treat Kit when she is sleeping on the rug next to them?
10. Why are Kit and Port turned away from their hotel in El Ga'a?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Port has two very disturbing reoccurring dreams. First, describe the dream Port has at the opening of the novel. Then, compare/contrast this dream to the dream Port has right before he passes away. What is the same about these dreams? What is different? Explain how these two dreams foreshadowed events of Port's life citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
While Port is at a brothel with Muhammad, he sees a dancer that he feels instantly connected to. First, describe the dancer that Port is infatuation with and explain what Port finds so alluring about the woman. Then, describe the woman's handicap. What do you think this handicap symbolizes in Port's lust? Finally, explain why Port never consummated his relationship with the woman. How did this fact affect Port's psychology?
Essay Topic 3
At the opening of the novel, Kit claims to not trust Tunner. What is it about Tunner's character that Kit finds so unsettling? Then, describing at least two scenes from the novel, explain how Kit's attitude toward Tunner changed as the novel progressed. How does Kit feel about Tunner at the end of the novel? How can you tell?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)