|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sits with Port when he dies?
2. How do Belqassim's wives feel about Kit living in their house?
3. How many of the gypsy men does Kit engage in sexual activity with?
4. Which of the following adjectives does shopkeeper Daoud Zozeph use to describe the world?
5. What is the name of the consulate who comes to pick Kit up from the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Lyles check in to the same hotel that Tunner is staying in with Port's passport?
2. What basic necessities is the military hospital missing when Port arrives there?
3. Why does Belqassim decide to marry Kit?
4. What clothes does Belqassim force Kit to wear, and why?
5. How do the merchants treat Kit when she is sleeping on the rug next to them?
6. How does Kit escape Belqassim's clutches?
7. How does Kit respond to the news that Port is dead?
8. How do Kit and Amar meet?
9. How does Port battle his slip into madness before he dies?
10. Why does Kit slip out of Zozeph's house in the middle of the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Port Moresby and George Tunner have two diametrically opposed views of travel. First, describe Port Moresby's personal view of travel and compare/contrast that to George Tunner's personal view of travel. Then, explain how these opposing views of travel lend themselves to an interesting partnership between the two travelers, citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
While Kit and Port are struggling through their travels in Africa, they meet many locals who are willing to help them find their way. Choose one of these helpful locals and describe how they risked their lives to help the foreign travelers. Why was this type of aid unusual given the political energy in the air during the war?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Kit has sexual relationships with many men who randomly enter her life. Choose one of the men that Kit has a relationship with and explain what Kit gained from this encounter. Then, compare/contrast that to another relationship Kit has in the novel. What does she gain from this encounter? At the end of the novel, does Kit feel empowered by her sexual dalliances or broken by them? Explain how you can tell citing examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)