|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose clothes does Belqassim make Kit wear to disguise her true identity?
2. What country does the American embassy decide to send Kit to in the hopes of getting her home to America?
3. What beverage does Kit attempt to buy in the market after escaping from Belqassim's house?
4. What sound does Port hear in his ears that isn't really there?
5. What is the name of the consulate who comes to pick Kit up from the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Lyles check in to the same hotel that Tunner is staying in with Port's passport?
2. How does Kit escape Belqassim's clutches?
3. What happens when Tunner arrives in El Ga'a with Port's passport
4. How does Kit react when she sees a caravan of men making their way through desert?
5. How does the American embassy propose getting Kit back home to America?
6. Why does Belqassim decide to marry Kit?
7. How does Port treat Kit when she returns home after visiting with Daoud Zozeph?
8. How do the merchants treat Kit when they reach the end of their travels?
9. What clothes does Belqassim force Kit to wear, and why?
10. How does Port weasel his way onto the only train departing to El Ga'a?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eric Lyle and his mother prove to be important catalysts propelling change in the characters of the novel. First, describe Eric Lyle and his mother. What aspects of their characters are called into question as the novel progresses? What is the true identity of Eric and Mrs. Lyle? How does the truth about their characters come to light?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Kit has sexual relationships with many men who randomly enter her life. Choose one of the men that Kit has a relationship with and explain what Kit gained from this encounter. Then, compare/contrast that to another relationship Kit has in the novel. What does she gain from this encounter? At the end of the novel, does Kit feel empowered by her sexual dalliances or broken by them? Explain how you can tell citing examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
After Port dies, Kit descends into madness. First, describe Kit's experiences with the caravan of merchants. What led Kit to join the caravan? Then, describe the relationship Kit has with the merchants and explain how these men altered the way Kit viewed her own life and the romance in it. Finally, describe how Kit escaped her imprisonment with the caravan, both physically and emotionally, citing examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)