|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose clothes does Belqassim make Kit wear to disguise her true identity?
2. What ethnicity is Amar?
3. What type of novel does Kit read to Port, hoping it will bring him comfort through his pain?
4. What is the name of the cook who prepares soup for the ailing Port?
5. How often must Port take a pill to alleviate his fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Port battle his slip into madness before he dies?
2. How does Kit respond to the news that Port is dead?
3. How do Kit and Amar meet?
4. How does Port weasel his way onto the only train departing to El Ga'a?
5. How does Zozeph react to the uninvited visit from Kit?
6. How do the merchants treat Kit when she is sleeping on the rug next to them?
7. How does Kit react when she sees a caravan of men making their way through desert?
8. Why does Belqassim decide to marry Kit?
9. How do the merchants treat Kit when they reach the end of their travels?
10. What accusations does Captain Broussard make regarding Kit's relationship with Port?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The trip to Boussif proves to be a breaking point for the travelers that were once united on their trek through Africa. Why were Port and Tunner separated on their way to Boussif? What event took place while Tunner was on the train to Boussif that irrevocably changed his relationship with Port forever? Then, explain why, after Boussif, Tunner and Port were never reunited.
Essay Topic 2
At the opening of the novel, Port meets a young prostitute named Marhnia who tells him a story about three women in the Sahara. First, describe the fable Marhnia tells Port in her tent. Then, explain which character you think the story of the prostitute most closely ties to, and why. What symbolism can be found in Marhnia's story that is also reflected in the stories of one of the characters in the novel, The Sheltering Sky?
Essay Topic 3
After Port dies, Kit descends into madness. First, describe Kit's experiences with the caravan of merchants. What led Kit to join the caravan? Then, describe the relationship Kit has with the merchants and explain how these men altered the way Kit viewed her own life and the romance in it. Finally, describe how Kit escaped her imprisonment with the caravan, both physically and emotionally, citing examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)