|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medical epidemic has swept through El Ga's?
2. How does Kit react to the news that Port is dead?
3. What does Kit attempt to serve Port on the bumpy bus ride, hoping it will help cure his cramps?
4. What is Kit's overwhelming emotion on the day she marries Belqassim?
5. What type of farmer offers to transport Kit and Port to the city of Sba?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Kit cared for while she is staying under Belqassim's roof?
2. Why does Kit slip out of Zozeph's house in the middle of the night?
3. How does Port treat Kit when she returns home after visiting with Daoud Zozeph?
4. How does Kit react when she sees a caravan of men making their way through desert?
5. What accusations does Captain Broussard make regarding Kit's relationship with Port?
6. What does Kit attempt to buy on her first day out of Belqassim's house?
7. Who is Othman?
8. What basic necessities is the military hospital missing when Port arrives there?
9. What happens when the Lyles check in to the same hotel that Tunner is staying in with Port's passport?
10. How do the merchants treat Kit when they reach the end of their travels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Port has two very disturbing reoccurring dreams. First, describe the dream Port has at the opening of the novel. Then, compare/contrast this dream to the dream Port has right before he passes away. What is the same about these dreams? What is different? Explain how these two dreams foreshadowed events of Port's life citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
At the opening of the novel, Kit claims to not trust Tunner. What is it about Tunner's character that Kit finds so unsettling? Then, describing at least two scenes from the novel, explain how Kit's attitude toward Tunner changed as the novel progressed. How does Kit feel about Tunner at the end of the novel? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 3
Once Port reaches Bou Noura he falls terribly ill. First, describe Port's descent into madness. What does Port see when he looks around the room on his deathbed? How does Port's marriage to Kit change while he is sick and dying? What realizations about love does Port make through his madness?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)