|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who feeds Kit during the day?
2. What is the name of the man running admittances in the military hospital of Sba?
3. Who sends word to Lieutenant D'Armagnac that the Moresbys have left town?
4. Which of the parts of his room does Port NOT focus on when he feels reality slipping from him?
5. What language does Amar speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Kit and Amar meet?
2. How does Kit respond to the news that Port is dead?
3. Why are Kit and Port turned away from their hotel in El Ga'a?
4. What does Kit attempt to buy on her first day out of Belqassim's house?
5. How does the American embassy propose getting Kit back home to America?
6. What happens when the Lyles check in to the same hotel that Tunner is staying in with Port's passport?
7. How does Kit escape Belqassim's clutches?
8. Who is Daoud Zozeph?
9. How do the merchants treat Kit when they reach the end of their travels?
10. How do Kit and Tunner reunite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Port Moresby and George Tunner have two diametrically opposed views of travel. First, describe Port Moresby's personal view of travel and compare/contrast that to George Tunner's personal view of travel. Then, explain how these opposing views of travel lend themselves to an interesting partnership between the two travelers, citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
The trip to Boussif proves to be a breaking point for the travelers that were once united on their trek through Africa. Why were Port and Tunner separated on their way to Boussif? What event took place while Tunner was on the train to Boussif that irrevocably changed his relationship with Port forever? Then, explain why, after Boussif, Tunner and Port were never reunited.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Kit has sexual relationships with many men who randomly enter her life. Choose one of the men that Kit has a relationship with and explain what Kit gained from this encounter. Then, compare/contrast that to another relationship Kit has in the novel. What does she gain from this encounter? At the end of the novel, does Kit feel empowered by her sexual dalliances or broken by them? Explain how you can tell citing examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)