|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times a day is Kit fed?
2. What type of farmer offers to transport Kit and Port to the city of Sba?
3. What is the only object in the tiny room where Belqassim locks Kit?
4. As the bus pulls into El Ga'a, what does the landscape outside the windows look like?
5. How does Kit react when she hears she must leave Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kit respond to the news that Port is dead?
2. How is Kit cared for while she is staying under Belqassim's roof?
3. What does Kit attempt to buy on her first day out of Belqassim's house?
4. How does the American embassy propose getting Kit back home to America?
5. What clothes does Belqassim force Kit to wear, and why?
6. How do Kit and Amar meet?
7. Why does Belqassim decide to marry Kit?
8. How do the merchants treat Kit when she is sleeping on the rug next to them?
9. How does Port react to the news that his passport has been found?
10. How does Port treat Kit when she returns home after visiting with Daoud Zozeph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Kit has sexual relationships with many men who randomly enter her life. Choose one of the men that Kit has a relationship with and explain what Kit gained from this encounter. Then, compare/contrast that to another relationship Kit has in the novel. What does she gain from this encounter? At the end of the novel, does Kit feel empowered by her sexual dalliances or broken by them? Explain how you can tell citing examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Lieutenant D'Armagnac is a man with a very shadowed past. First, describe why the Lieutenant fell from grace in his command. Do you agree with the public's opinion of the Lieutenant? Why or why not? Then, explain how the Lieutenant's shadowed past affects the way he treats the tourists when they are in a time of need.
Essay Topic 3
At the opening of the novel, Kit is practically housebound, refusing to leave the hotel in Africa. First, describe what led Kit to live a life consumed with such fear. Then, explain how over the course of the novel, Kit began to own her life again. Choose at least two scenes in the novel that you think demonstrate Kit's character growth and explain how these scenes let to her ultimate transformation at the end of the novel.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)