|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Daoud Zozeph's baby die?
2. What does Captain Broussard accuse Kit of while Port is sick in bed?
3. Who feeds Kit during the day?
4. What is the name of the cook who prepares soup for the ailing Port?
5. What odds does the Captain of the military hospital give for Port's likely survival?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kit escape Belqassim's clutches?
2. How do the merchants treat Kit when she is sleeping on the rug next to them?
3. What does Kit attempt to buy on her first day out of Belqassim's house?
4. How does Kit know that Port's heath is deteriorating during the train ride to El Ga'a?
5. How do Kit and Tunner reunite?
6. How does Port treat Kit when she returns home after visiting with Daoud Zozeph?
7. How does Kit respond to the news that Port is dead?
8. What clothes does Belqassim force Kit to wear, and why?
9. How is Kit cared for while she is staying under Belqassim's roof?
10. Who is Daoud Zozeph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The town of Ain Krofra has a serious effect on all the travelers. First, describe the town of Ain Krofra. Why are the travelers so eager to get out of this town? What realization about happiness does Kit make while staying in Ain Krofra? How does this realization affect Kit's marriage to Port?
Essay Topic 2
The trip to Boussif proves to be a breaking point for the travelers that were once united on their trek through Africa. Why were Port and Tunner separated on their way to Boussif? What event took place while Tunner was on the train to Boussif that irrevocably changed his relationship with Port forever? Then, explain why, after Boussif, Tunner and Port were never reunited.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Port has two very disturbing reoccurring dreams. First, describe the dream Port has at the opening of the novel. Then, compare/contrast this dream to the dream Port has right before he passes away. What is the same about these dreams? What is different? Explain how these two dreams foreshadowed events of Port's life citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)