|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From which of the following diseases is the beggar who assaults Kit suffering?
2. What ethnicity is Amar?
3. Who does Tunner discover rummaging through his bags with a flashlight?
4. What gifts does Belqassim force his wives to give to Kit?
5. Which of the following diseases is Port diagnosed with upon entering the military hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Kit and Port turned away from their hotel in El Ga'a?
2. How does Port treat Kit when she returns home after visiting with Daoud Zozeph?
3. What does Kit attempt to buy on her first day out of Belqassim's house?
4. Why does Belqassim decide to marry Kit?
5. What accusations does Captain Broussard make regarding Kit's relationship with Port?
6. What happens when the Lyles check in to the same hotel that Tunner is staying in with Port's passport?
7. How do the merchants treat Kit when she is sleeping on the rug next to them?
8. How does Kit know that Port's heath is deteriorating during the train ride to El Ga'a?
9. How does Kit escape Belqassim's clutches?
10. How do Kit and Tunner reunite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Port dies, Kit descends into madness. First, describe Kit's experiences with the caravan of merchants. What led Kit to join the caravan? Then, describe the relationship Kit has with the merchants and explain how these men altered the way Kit viewed her own life and the romance in it. Finally, describe how Kit escaped her imprisonment with the caravan, both physically and emotionally, citing examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
While Port is at a brothel with Muhammad, he sees a dancer that he feels instantly connected to. First, describe the dancer that Port is infatuation with and explain what Port finds so alluring about the woman. Then, describe the woman's handicap. What do you think this handicap symbolizes in Port's lust? Finally, explain why Port never consummated his relationship with the woman. How did this fact affect Port's psychology?
Essay Topic 3
At the opening of the novel, Kit claims to not trust Tunner. What is it about Tunner's character that Kit finds so unsettling? Then, describing at least two scenes from the novel, explain how Kit's attitude toward Tunner changed as the novel progressed. How does Kit feel about Tunner at the end of the novel? How can you tell?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)