|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who organizes Port's funeral?
2. How did Daoud Zozeph's baby die?
3. Where does Kit send all her belongings before she runs away from the military camp?
4. What size is Belqassim's house?
5. How does Kit react when she hears she must leave Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the merchants treat Kit when they reach the end of their travels?
2. How does Port react to the news that his passport has been found?
3. How does Kit respond to the news that Port is dead?
4. How is Kit cared for while she is staying under Belqassim's roof?
5. What does Kit attempt to buy on her first day out of Belqassim's house?
6. Why are Kit and Port turned away from their hotel in El Ga'a?
7. Why does Belqassim decide to marry Kit?
8. What accusations does Captain Broussard make regarding Kit's relationship with Port?
9. How do Kit and Amar meet?
10. How does Port weasel his way onto the only train departing to El Ga'a?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the novel, Kit is practically housebound, refusing to leave the hotel in Africa. First, describe what led Kit to live a life consumed with such fear. Then, explain how over the course of the novel, Kit began to own her life again. Choose at least two scenes in the novel that you think demonstrate Kit's character growth and explain how these scenes let to her ultimate transformation at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Port Moresby and George Tunner have two diametrically opposed views of travel. First, describe Port Moresby's personal view of travel and compare/contrast that to George Tunner's personal view of travel. Then, explain how these opposing views of travel lend themselves to an interesting partnership between the two travelers, citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Kit has sexual relationships with many men who randomly enter her life. Choose one of the men that Kit has a relationship with and explain what Kit gained from this encounter. Then, compare/contrast that to another relationship Kit has in the novel. What does she gain from this encounter? At the end of the novel, does Kit feel empowered by her sexual dalliances or broken by them? Explain how you can tell citing examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)