|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following diseases is Port diagnosed with upon entering the military hospital?
2. How many passengers are bumped from the evening bus when Port lies and says his wife is very sick?
3. How many men are part of the caravan Kit witnessed?
4. At what time of day does Belqassim usually visit Kit in the basement?
5. How does Kit react when Port tells her they are leaving for El Ga'a that evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Kit cared for while she is staying under Belqassim's roof?
2. Who is Daoud Zozeph?
3. How do Kit and Amar meet?
4. What accusations does Captain Broussard make regarding Kit's relationship with Port?
5. How does Port react to the news that his passport has been found?
6. How does Zozeph react to the uninvited visit from Kit?
7. Why does Kit slip out of Zozeph's house in the middle of the night?
8. How does Port treat Kit when she returns home after visiting with Daoud Zozeph?
9. What does Kit attempt to buy on her first day out of Belqassim's house?
10. Why are Kit and Port turned away from their hotel in El Ga'a?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eric Lyle and his mother prove to be important catalysts propelling change in the characters of the novel. First, describe Eric Lyle and his mother. What aspects of their characters are called into question as the novel progresses? What is the true identity of Eric and Mrs. Lyle? How does the truth about their characters come to light?
Essay Topic 2
Although Port claims to want to repair his relationship with Kit, he continually acts otherwise. Describe one scene in which Port acts unfaithfully to his wife, Kit. Then, compare/contrast that to another scene of Port's infidelity. What is the same about these acts of unfaithfulness? What is different? Do you believe Port was every truly committed to his relationship with Kit? Explain why or why not citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Lieutenant D'Armagnac is a man with a very shadowed past. First, describe why the Lieutenant fell from grace in his command. Do you agree with the public's opinion of the Lieutenant? Why or why not? Then, explain how the Lieutenant's shadowed past affects the way he treats the tourists when they are in a time of need.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)