|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kit react when she hears she must leave Africa?
2. What is the only object in the tiny room where Belqassim locks Kit?
3. How does Broussard know that Kit has abandoned Port?
4. Why won't the woman at the market take Kit's money to pay for the beverage?
5. What is the name of the cook who prepares soup for the ailing Port?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kit escape Belqassim's clutches?
2. Why are Kit and Port turned away from their hotel in El Ga'a?
3. What happens when Tunner arrives in El Ga'a with Port's passport
4. How does Port weasel his way onto the only train departing to El Ga'a?
5. What does Kit attempt to buy on her first day out of Belqassim's house?
6. Why does Kit slip out of Zozeph's house in the middle of the night?
7. Who is Othman?
8. Who is Daoud Zozeph?
9. What accusations does Captain Broussard make regarding Kit's relationship with Port?
10. Who is Miss Ferry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eric Lyle and his mother prove to be important catalysts propelling change in the characters of the novel. First, describe Eric Lyle and his mother. What aspects of their characters are called into question as the novel progresses? What is the true identity of Eric and Mrs. Lyle? How does the truth about their characters come to light?
Essay Topic 2
After Port dies, Kit descends into madness. First, describe Kit's experiences with the caravan of merchants. What led Kit to join the caravan? Then, describe the relationship Kit has with the merchants and explain how these men altered the way Kit viewed her own life and the romance in it. Finally, describe how Kit escaped her imprisonment with the caravan, both physically and emotionally, citing examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Once Port reaches Bou Noura he falls terribly ill. First, describe Port's descent into madness. What does Port see when he looks around the room on his deathbed? How does Port's marriage to Kit change while he is sick and dying? What realizations about love does Port make through his madness?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)