|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which religious building do Tunner and Kit visit while Port is dying?
2. Who discovers Port's missing passport?
3. Which of Kit's muscles is most uncomfortable in her locked surroundings?
4. How many cots does the military hospital have at their disposal?
5. Where does Port sleep while Kit and the tall Arab man search for a hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the merchants treat Kit when she is sleeping on the rug next to them?
2. How does Zozeph react to the uninvited visit from Kit?
3. What clothes does Belqassim force Kit to wear, and why?
4. Who is Miss Ferry?
5. How does Kit know that Port's heath is deteriorating during the train ride to El Ga'a?
6. How do Kit and Amar meet?
7. How does Kit escape Belqassim's clutches?
8. What basic necessities is the military hospital missing when Port arrives there?
9. Why are Kit and Port turned away from their hotel in El Ga'a?
10. How does Port treat Kit when she returns home after visiting with Daoud Zozeph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Port is at a brothel with Muhammad, he sees a dancer that he feels instantly connected to. First, describe the dancer that Port is infatuation with and explain what Port finds so alluring about the woman. Then, describe the woman's handicap. What do you think this handicap symbolizes in Port's lust? Finally, explain why Port never consummated his relationship with the woman. How did this fact affect Port's psychology?
Essay Topic 2
Eric Lyle and his mother prove to be important catalysts propelling change in the characters of the novel. First, describe Eric Lyle and his mother. What aspects of their characters are called into question as the novel progresses? What is the true identity of Eric and Mrs. Lyle? How does the truth about their characters come to light?
Essay Topic 3
The trip to Boussif proves to be a breaking point for the travelers that were once united on their trek through Africa. Why were Port and Tunner separated on their way to Boussif? What event took place while Tunner was on the train to Boussif that irrevocably changed his relationship with Port forever? Then, explain why, after Boussif, Tunner and Port were never reunited.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)