|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What beverage does Amar serve Kit to try to calm her nerves?
2. Which of the parts of his room does Port NOT focus on when he feels reality slipping from him?
3. How is the caravan of men traveling from city to city?
4. What religious ceremony does Port receive when he is buried?
5. From which of the following diseases is the beggar who assaults Kit suffering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clothes does Belqassim force Kit to wear, and why?
2. How does Zozeph react to the uninvited visit from Kit?
3. What happens when the Lyles check in to the same hotel that Tunner is staying in with Port's passport?
4. Why does Belqassim decide to marry Kit?
5. How do Kit and Tunner reunite?
6. How does Kit escape Belqassim's clutches?
7. How does Kit react when she sees a caravan of men making their way through desert?
8. Who is Daoud Zozeph?
9. How do the merchants treat Kit when she is sleeping on the rug next to them?
10. How does Port react to the news that his passport has been found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Port claims to want to repair his relationship with Kit, he continually acts otherwise. Describe one scene in which Port acts unfaithfully to his wife, Kit. Then, compare/contrast that to another scene of Port's infidelity. What is the same about these acts of unfaithfulness? What is different? Do you believe Port was every truly committed to his relationship with Kit? Explain why or why not citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
While Port is at a brothel with Muhammad, he sees a dancer that he feels instantly connected to. First, describe the dancer that Port is infatuation with and explain what Port finds so alluring about the woman. Then, describe the woman's handicap. What do you think this handicap symbolizes in Port's lust? Finally, explain why Port never consummated his relationship with the woman. How did this fact affect Port's psychology?
Essay Topic 3
Both Kit and Tunner have very personal, romantic relationships with the sky. First, describe Tunner's relationship with the sky and what he feels the sky symbolizes. Then, compare/contrast his views with Kit's views and what Kit feels the sky symbolizes. Finally, explain the title of the novel. Which character's view of the sky do you think is represented in the title? How can you tell?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)