|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the bus pulls into El Ga'a, what does the landscape outside the windows look like?
2. How often must Port take a pill to alleviate his fever?
3. Where does Port sleep while Kit and the tall Arab man search for a hotel?
4. What gift does Daoud Zozeph give to Kit with the hopes it will help cure Port?
5. What meal does Lieutenant D'Armagnac enjoy with Tunner when he arrives in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clothes does Belqassim force Kit to wear, and why?
2. How does Kit react when she sees a caravan of men making their way through desert?
3. What basic necessities is the military hospital missing when Port arrives there?
4. How does Port battle his slip into madness before he dies?
5. What happens when the Lyles check in to the same hotel that Tunner is staying in with Port's passport?
6. How do the merchants treat Kit when they reach the end of their travels?
7. What does Kit attempt to buy on her first day out of Belqassim's house?
8. Why are Kit and Port turned away from their hotel in El Ga'a?
9. How does Port weasel his way onto the only train departing to El Ga'a?
10. How does Kit know that Port's heath is deteriorating during the train ride to El Ga'a?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Kit and Port are struggling through their travels in Africa, they meet many locals who are willing to help them find their way. Choose one of these helpful locals and describe how they risked their lives to help the foreign travelers. Why was this type of aid unusual given the political energy in the air during the war?
Essay Topic 2
Port Moresby and George Tunner have two diametrically opposed views of travel. First, describe Port Moresby's personal view of travel and compare/contrast that to George Tunner's personal view of travel. Then, explain how these opposing views of travel lend themselves to an interesting partnership between the two travelers, citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
When Port is in Bou Noura, his passport is stolen. First, create a list of characters Port accuses of this theft. Then, describe how at least two of these suspects are cleared of their charges. Finally, state who truly stole Port's passport and describe how this information came to light. How does this realization affect Port's relationship with the rest of the travelers?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)