|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ethnicity is Amar?
2. What country does the American embassy decide to send Kit to in the hopes of getting her home to America?
3. How often must Port take a pill to alleviate his fever?
4. What is the name of the man running admittances in the military hospital of Sba?
5. How does Kit react when she hears she must leave Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Daoud Zozeph?
2. How does Zozeph react to the uninvited visit from Kit?
3. How does Kit escape Belqassim's clutches?
4. How does the American embassy propose getting Kit back home to America?
5. How does Captain Broussard react when he sees Port's poor medical condition?
6. What accusations does Captain Broussard make regarding Kit's relationship with Port?
7. How does Port weasel his way onto the only train departing to El Ga'a?
8. How do the merchants treat Kit when they reach the end of their travels?
9. How do the merchants treat Kit when she is sleeping on the rug next to them?
10. Why does Belqassim decide to marry Kit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lieutenant D'Armagnac and Captain Broussard are both men who have come into power during the war in Africa. First, describe Lieutenant D'Armagnac's managing style. Then, compare/contrast that to Captain Brossard's management style. How has each of these men taken full advantage of the civil unrest in Africa to promote their own political careers?
Essay Topic 2
Eric Lyle and his mother prove to be important catalysts propelling change in the characters of the novel. First, describe Eric Lyle and his mother. What aspects of their characters are called into question as the novel progresses? What is the true identity of Eric and Mrs. Lyle? How does the truth about their characters come to light?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Kit has sexual relationships with many men who randomly enter her life. Choose one of the men that Kit has a relationship with and explain what Kit gained from this encounter. Then, compare/contrast that to another relationship Kit has in the novel. What does she gain from this encounter? At the end of the novel, does Kit feel empowered by her sexual dalliances or broken by them? Explain how you can tell citing examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)