|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are part of the caravan Kit witnessed?
2. How often must Port take a pill to alleviate his fever?
3. What beverage does Kit attempt to buy in the market after escaping from Belqassim's house?
4. What is the name of the cook who prepares soup for the ailing Port?
5. As the bus pulls into El Ga'a, what does the landscape outside the windows look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kit know that Port's heath is deteriorating during the train ride to El Ga'a?
2. How does Port battle his slip into madness before he dies?
3. Why does Belqassim decide to marry Kit?
4. Why does Kit slip out of Zozeph's house in the middle of the night?
5. What clothes does Belqassim force Kit to wear, and why?
6. How does Port weasel his way onto the only train departing to El Ga'a?
7. How does Kit escape Belqassim's clutches?
8. Who is Othman?
9. How do Kit and Amar meet?
10. Who is Miss Ferry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Port claims to want to repair his relationship with Kit, he continually acts otherwise. Describe one scene in which Port acts unfaithfully to his wife, Kit. Then, compare/contrast that to another scene of Port's infidelity. What is the same about these acts of unfaithfulness? What is different? Do you believe Port was every truly committed to his relationship with Kit? Explain why or why not citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
While Kit is on the train to Boussif, she witnesses some very disturbing scenes. First, describe what images Kit saw while on the train to Boussif and how these images affected her. Then, explain when these images resurfaced in Kit's mind, and describe what these images symbolize to Kit in both scenes.
Essay Topic 3
While Port is at a brothel with Muhammad, he sees a dancer that he feels instantly connected to. First, describe the dancer that Port is infatuation with and explain what Port finds so alluring about the woman. Then, describe the woman's handicap. What do you think this handicap symbolizes in Port's lust? Finally, explain why Port never consummated his relationship with the woman. How did this fact affect Port's psychology?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)