|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man running admittances in the military hospital of Sba?
2. What African country does Kit find herself in after escaping from Belqassim's house?
3. How do Belqassim's wives feel about Kit living in their house?
4. Who sits with Port when he dies?
5. Where does Kit wish she and Port were traveling to instead of El Ga'a?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kit attempt to buy on her first day out of Belqassim's house?
2. How do the merchants treat Kit when they reach the end of their travels?
3. How does the American embassy propose getting Kit back home to America?
4. Who is Daoud Zozeph?
5. How do the merchants treat Kit when she is sleeping on the rug next to them?
6. How does Zozeph react to the uninvited visit from Kit?
7. How does Port weasel his way onto the only train departing to El Ga'a?
8. How do Kit and Tunner reunite?
9. How does Kit escape Belqassim's clutches?
10. How does Captain Broussard react when he sees Port's poor medical condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All throughout her life, Kit has been obsessed with omens - both good and bad. First, explain where Kit learned to follow the signs of the universe. Then, choose at least two omens Kit saw in the novel and explain what these omens signified. Did the predictions come to pass? How did these events help to shape Kit's relationship with the supernatural world?
Essay Topic 2
At the opening of the novel, Kit claims to not trust Tunner. What is it about Tunner's character that Kit finds so unsettling? Then, describing at least two scenes from the novel, explain how Kit's attitude toward Tunner changed as the novel progressed. How does Kit feel about Tunner at the end of the novel? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Kit has sexual relationships with many men who randomly enter her life. Choose one of the men that Kit has a relationship with and explain what Kit gained from this encounter. Then, compare/contrast that to another relationship Kit has in the novel. What does she gain from this encounter? At the end of the novel, does Kit feel empowered by her sexual dalliances or broken by them? Explain how you can tell citing examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)