|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young slave boy who gropes Kit in the night?
2. How many wives does Belqassim have?
3. What does Zozeph serve to Kit for dinner the night after Port dies?
4. Which religious building do Tunner and Kit visit while Port is dying?
5. What is the last sound Kit hears before falling to sleep on her first night in captivity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Tunner arrives in El Ga'a with Port's passport
2. How does Kit respond to the news that Port is dead?
3. How do Kit and Tunner reunite?
4. How does Port treat Kit when she returns home after visiting with Daoud Zozeph?
5. Why does Belqassim decide to marry Kit?
6. How does Captain Broussard react when he sees Port's poor medical condition?
7. What does Kit attempt to buy on her first day out of Belqassim's house?
8. What accusations does Captain Broussard make regarding Kit's relationship with Port?
9. Why does Kit slip out of Zozeph's house in the middle of the night?
10. How do the merchants treat Kit when she is sleeping on the rug next to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Kit and Port are struggling through their travels in Africa, they meet many locals who are willing to help them find their way. Choose one of these helpful locals and describe how they risked their lives to help the foreign travelers. Why was this type of aid unusual given the political energy in the air during the war?
Essay Topic 2
While Kit is on the train to Boussif, she witnesses some very disturbing scenes. First, describe what images Kit saw while on the train to Boussif and how these images affected her. Then, explain when these images resurfaced in Kit's mind, and describe what these images symbolize to Kit in both scenes.
Essay Topic 3
All throughout her life, Kit has been obsessed with omens - both good and bad. First, explain where Kit learned to follow the signs of the universe. Then, choose at least two omens Kit saw in the novel and explain what these omens signified. Did the predictions come to pass? How did these events help to shape Kit's relationship with the supernatural world?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)