|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lieutenant D'Armagnac's wife live?
2. What article of clothing does Smail order Port to remove before entering his home?
3. What rumor spreads throughout town about Lieutenant D'Armagnac and Yamina?
4. Why doesn't Kit want Port to tell Tunner about his recurring dream?
5. What beverage does Smail offer to Port after his walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Port feel when he wakes up from his nap in the opening scene of the novel?
2. What story does Marhnia tell Port about the three prostitutes?
3. What disturbing dream does Port have while napping in Oman?
4. How does Kit react the morning after she wakes up next to Tunner?
5. What small fight do Port and Kit get into while enjoying dinner at their hotel restaurant near the Lyle's?
6. When does Port's enjoyment of Mrs. Lyle's bickering finally begin to fade?
7. What is the travelers' first impressions of the town of Ain Krofra?
8. How does Port describe Oran?
9. What realization does Port have while riding on the train with Kit to Ain Krofra?
10. What does Kit see when she runs, panicked, through the train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Port has two very disturbing reoccurring dreams. First, describe the dream Port has at the opening of the novel. Then, compare/contrast this dream to the dream Port has right before he passes away. What is the same about these dreams? What is different? Explain how these two dreams foreshadowed events of Port's life citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
While Kit is on the train to Boussif, she witnesses some very disturbing scenes. First, describe what images Kit saw while on the train to Boussif and how these images affected her. Then, explain when these images resurfaced in Kit's mind, and describe what these images symbolize to Kit in both scenes.
Essay Topic 3
While Port is at a brothel with Muhammad, he sees a dancer that he feels instantly connected to. First, describe the dancer that Port is infatuation with and explain what Port finds so alluring about the woman. Then, describe the woman's handicap. What do you think this handicap symbolizes in Port's lust? Finally, explain why Port never consummated his relationship with the woman. How did this fact affect Port's psychology?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)