|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kit interrupt the music at M. Chaoui's dinner party?
(a) To go to the bathroom.
(b) To compliment the music.
(c) To pour some wine.
(d) To fan her face.
2. What is Eric Lyle's drink of choice?
3. What animal does Port hear screaming while he is having a conversation with Smail?
(a) A lamb.
(b) A goat.
(c) A cat.
(d) A bird.
4. How many prostitutes travel to the desert in Marhnia's story?
5. What nationality is Smail?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the opening scene of the novel, how does Port feel when he awakens from a dream?
2. Which of the following instruments does the musician at M. Chaoui's dinner party play to entertain the guests?
3. At the opening of the novel, which war is taking place?
4. What country is Eric Lyle from?
5. Which American city is M. Chaoui's favorite city in the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Port's enjoyment of Mrs. Lyle's bickering finally begin to fade?
2. What awkward moment ensues with Kit enjoys a cup of tea with M. Chaoui?
3. What information does Port learn about Eric while having breakfast with Mrs. Lyle in Boussif?
4. How does Kit react the morning after she wakes up next to Tunner?
5. How do Port and Smail meet?
6. What small fight do Port and Kit get into while enjoying dinner at their hotel restaurant near the Lyle's?
7. What startling event changes Lieutenant D'Armagnac's career forever?
8. How does Port describe Oran?
9. Why does Port believe that Eric Lyle stole his passport?
10. How does Port feel when he wakes up from his nap in the opening scene of the novel?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)