|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Noel get up early while visiting his mother?
2. Who greets Penelope and Antonia when they return from Porthkerris?
3. Where will Danus be going when he leaves Porthkerris today?
4. What are Danus' intentions toward Antonia?
5. What advice does Penelope give Antonia regarding Danus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Penelope do on her last day in Porthkerris?
2. What reason does Danus give Penelope for why he is returning to Edinburgh?
3. What is the nature of the letter Olivia finds in her mother's room and what does Olivia do with it?
4. How do Nancy and Noel react to news of Penelope's death?
5. What are the unhappy implications of Penelope's marriage to Ambrose?
6. Why does Penelope's dream of marrying Richard not come true?
7. Why does Penelope have such a fitful night after her appointment in London?
8. Why does Penelope feel compelled to contact Boothby's without notifying her children?
9. How does Penelope meet Richard Lomax?
10. Describe Penelope's last few moments in her beloved garden.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ambrose and Robert. Both men want influence over Penelope but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in literature? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Greed seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of greed? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of Noel and Nancy? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Olivia's life. Will her career still be such a powerful presence in her life? Does she have a significant other in her life? What role does Olivia play in Antonia and Danus' lives?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)