|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Penelope call about Lawrence's paintings?
2. Who is killed in the D-Day invasion?
3. Why has Danus never told his parents about his disease?
4. How do Richard and Penelope register when they go away for a week together?
5. What does Sophie feel about life in Porthkerris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the letter Olivia finds in her mother's room and what does Olivia do with it?
2. What does Penelope decide to do with the unfinished Lawrence Stern paintings?
3. Who is Roy Brookner?
4. Why does Danus feel that he must have his medical exams at this point in his life?
5. What impact does Sophie's death have on her family?
6. How does the relationship between Antonia and Danus mirror that of Penelope and Richard's?
7. How do Nancy and Noel react to news of Penelope's death?
8. Why is the relationship between Nancy and Penelope so difficult?
9. What reason does Danus give Penelope for why he is returning to Edinburgh?
10. Why does Penelope's dream of marrying Richard not come true?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Noel. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Noel?
Essay Topic 2
Greed is an important theme in THE SHELL SEEKERS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ambrose and Robert. Both men want influence over Penelope but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in literature? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)