|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Olivia's job at the magazine?
2. Who is Penelope's father?
3. What does Hank want to see while he is in town?
4. Who purchases the Lawrence Stern painting at the auction?
5. What type of car does the man in #25 drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Noel exhibit such callous behavior toward his mother?
2. How does the author show the respectful relationship between Olivia and Penelope?
3. Who is Doris Potter and how does she enter into the lives of Penelope's family?
4. What is the irony of Olivia's life as opposed to those of her brother and sister?
5. What is Ambrose's real interest in Penelope?
6. Why is volunteer work during the war not a good choice for Penelope?
7. What is the story of Penelope's parents' relationship?
8. What is the nature of Antonia's phone call to Olivia and how does it change Olivia's plans with Hank?
9. How does the author reveal which one of Penelope's children is closest to her?
10. What is life like for Penelope's daughter, Nancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Olivia's life. Will her career still be such a powerful presence in her life? Does she have a significant other in her life? What role does Olivia play in Antonia and Danus' lives?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Olivia. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Olivia?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Nancy. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Nancy?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)