|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Penelope remembers what life was like when she was ______________.
2. How does the person in #61 arrive at Penelope's house?
3. For how long are the man in #25 and his girlfriend going away in Chapter 4?
4. What does Hank want to see while he is in town?
5. What make of car does Penelope's father own which Ambrose is enamored with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Noel exhibit such callous behavior toward his mother?
2. Who is Danus Muirfield?
3. How does the author reveal which one of Penelope's children is closest to her?
4. How does Penelope meet Ambrose Keeling?
5. What is life like for Penelope's daughter, Nancy?
6. Why is volunteer work during the war not a good choice for Penelope?
7. How does the author show the respectful relationship between Olivia and Penelope?
8. How is Noel like his sister, Nancy?
9. What are some of the major differences between Olivia and Nancy?
10. Why do the Lawrence Stern paintings have such an impact on Noel and Nancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Noel and Nancy and their mother. What are the main sources of the conflict? Why does it perpetuate? What does Penelope learn about the reality of her life with her children as opposed to the perceptions she has held for so long?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Pilcher is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)