|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long are the man in #25 and his girlfriend going away in Chapter 4?
2. What is Hank's nationality?
3. Who is Ambrose's mother?
4. Why can Penelope's parents not attend her wedding?
5. Noel tells his mother that he wants to look for ________________ so he can look for sketches.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is life like for Penelope's daughter, Nancy?
2. What importance do Noel and Nancy place on the Lawrence Stern paintings?
3. Who is Hank Spotswood?
4. What is the flashback Penelope has to when she was nineteen?
5. How does the author reveal which one of Penelope's children is closest to her?
6. Why does Noel exhibit such callous behavior toward his mother?
7. What is Noel's real purpose for visiting his mother's house?
8. Which sister--Olivia or Nancy--is the one who is able to get things accomplished?
9. Who is Danus Muirfield?
10. How is Noel like his sister, Nancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in THE SHELL SEEKERS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support or disregard of each other? How typical is this family to most British families living during the mid- to late-20th century?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in England in the mid- to late-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Noel and Nancy and their mother. What are the main sources of the conflict? Why does it perpetuate? What does Penelope learn about the reality of her life with her children as opposed to the perceptions she has held for so long?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)