|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man that Olivia met on the 1979 trip?
2. Who was Ambrose?
3. What is the name of the magazine on which Olivia works?
4. Who tells Penelope about the atrocities happening to Jews in Germany?
5. What is Hank's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which sister--Olivia or Nancy--is the one who is able to get things accomplished?
2. Who is Danus Muirfield?
3. What is Nancy's relationship with Penelope?
4. Why do the Lawrence Stern paintings have such an impact on Noel and Nancy?
5. What is life like for Penelope's daughter, Nancy?
6. Who is Doris Potter and how does she enter into the lives of Penelope's family?
7. What is Ambrose's real interest in Penelope?
8. How does the author reveal which one of Penelope's children is closest to her?
9. How does the author use foreshadowing by introducing Antonia into Olivia and Penelope's lives?
10. Why is Antonia's stay with Penelope mutually beneficial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pilcher uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)