|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man that Olivia met on the 1979 trip?
2. Who is Penelope's father?
3. To what group is Penelope assigned as a volunteer during the war?
4. What does Olivia learn about Cosmo?
5. Who is Penelope's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Antonia's stay with Penelope mutually beneficial?
2. Who is Hank Spotswood?
3. What is Noel's real purpose for visiting his mother's house?
4. What is the irony of Olivia's life as opposed to those of her brother and sister?
5. What is the flashback Penelope has to when she was nineteen?
6. What is Nancy's relationship with Penelope?
7. Why do the Lawrence Stern paintings have such an impact on Noel and Nancy?
8. How does Penelope meet Ambrose Keeling?
9. How is Noel like his sister, Nancy?
10. What importance do Noel and Nancy place on the Lawrence Stern paintings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in England in the mid- to late-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Noel. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Noel?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)