|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will be staying with Penelope for a little while?
2. In what town was the vacation house located?
3. Who is Penelope's father?
4. Why does Noel visit Olivia?
5. What is Sophie's advice to Penelope regarding Ambrose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hank Spotswood?
2. What prompts Penelope to volunteer during the war?
3. Why does Noel exhibit such callous behavior toward his mother?
4. What is Ambrose's real interest in Penelope?
5. What is the tone of the relationship between Ambrose and Penelope?
6. Who is Doris Potter and how does she enter into the lives of Penelope's family?
7. What is the flashback Penelope has to when she was nineteen?
8. Who is Danus Muirfield?
9. How is Olivia's view of the Lawrence Stern paintings different from how Olivia views them?
10. What is Nancy's relationship with Penelope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Nancy. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Nancy?
Essay Topic 2
Pilcher uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ambrose and Robert. Both men want influence over Penelope but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in literature? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)