|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose old coat does the girlfriend wear?
(a) Seth Sloane's.
(b) Edward Tracey's.
(c) Lawrence Stern's.
(d) Philip Madison's.
2. What news does Olivia share with Noel?
(a) She is moving to New York.
(b) Cosmo is dead.
(c) Penelope has a brain tumor.
(d) Nancy is divorcing George.
3. What name does Ambrose's mother want Penelope to call her after the wedding?
(a) Mrs. Keeling.
(d) Mother Keeling.
4. What is most important to Nancy?
(a) Spiritual pursuits.
(b) Philanthropic work.
(c) Keeping up appearances.
5. Who was Ambrose?
(a) Penelope's husband.
(b) Penelope's father.
(c) Penelope's professor.
(d) Penelope's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pastime does Penelope enjoy?
2. Which child does Penelope call when she arrives home?
3. What type of car does the man in #25 drive?
4. Who is the daughter of the man in #17?
5. Why can Penelope's parents not attend her wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Penelope to volunteer during the war?
2. How does the author show the respectful relationship between Olivia and Penelope?
3. What is the tone of the relationship between Ambrose and Penelope?
4. What is Noel's real purpose for visiting his mother's house?
5. Why does Noel exhibit such callous behavior toward his mother?
6. Why is Antonia's stay with Penelope mutually beneficial?
7. How does the author reveal which one of Penelope's children is closest to her?
8. What is the flashback Penelope has to when she was nineteen?
9. What is the story of Penelope's parents' relationship?
10. Who is Doris Potter and how does she enter into the lives of Penelope's family?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)