|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was above the Earth?
2. Where did the Land of the Sun?
3. Where was Nargothrond now located?
4. Who caused the God's lamps to fall?
5. What was the alternate name for Vista?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the maps in Chapter 4 were included in the book?
2. How long was Morgoth imprisoned in Mandos and how long was that in Valian years?
3. Which map depicts where Angband was located during the period of Hurin's children, and which battle was placed on this map?
4. What was Vaiya and how did it differ above the Earth and below it?
5. What happened when the First Design was annihilated and who assaulted the land of the Gods?
6. Who is Pengolod and why was he important in Chapter 6?
7. Why were the Westward and Eastward Extension maps drawn, and how much did they overlap the main map?
8. Which rivers were placed on the Westward Extension Map, and did their names change later?
9. What components does the main map have?
10. Where was the Land of the Sun and how much was known about this place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Morgoth's conflict with the Gods and his imprisonment.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Morgoth's skill with manipulation. Give examples of ways Morgoth tricked the Gods.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Balrogs and analyze their role in The Terrible Last Battle. For whom did they fight and why did they fight?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)