|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the alternate name for Ungoliant?
2. Where did the Elves live?
3. Who formed a league against Morgoth?
4. Whom did Tuor take with him to sail on his ship?
5. What was beyond Artanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who made two lamps to light the world and what happened to them?
2. Why did Christopher Tolkien add commentary to the prose fragments?
3. Why did Morgoth want to destroy the Eldar?
4. Based on what you have read in Chapter 1, what do you predict about Morgoth throughout the story?
5. Who created the World, what was his name, which beings did he create first, and which beings did he create second?
6. Did J.R.R. Tolkien describe the Gnomes in Chapter 1?
7. What qualities did Morgoth possess, and were any of them good?
8. Why did Turgon spend so much time away from his people, and where did he go when he wanted to be alone?
9. What is prose, what are prose fragments, and why were they used throughout Chapter 1?
10. Who was the king of the Eagles, and how was he important after Fingolin's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the Silmarils and their importance in Morgoth's eyes.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Sun and the Moon. How are the different from the non-fictitious sun and moon?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what happened during the first and second Battle of the Gods. What effect did the first Battle of the Gods have on the ancient Earth? What happened to the Earth in the second Battle of the Gods?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)