|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What or whom did Elwing cast into the sea?
2. What two adjectives were used to describe the road from the Outer Earth to Valinor?
3. How many sons did Feanor have?
4. Who lead Turin to Nargothrond?
5. Who named Dor-Lomin "Hisilome?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What other name could the Gnomes be called, and how did they come to be known as Gnomes?
2. Who was Melko, what was his alternate name, and why was he given this alternate name?
3. What were the Walls of the World and what was their purpose?
4. Who is Pengolod and why was he important in Chapter 6?
5. When did the Sun and the Moon appear and who created them?
6. Why did Turgon spend so much time away from his people, and where did he go when he wanted to be alone?
7. Why do you think the maps in Chapter 4 were included in the book?
8. Who made two lamps to light the world and what happened to them?
9. Where was the Land of the Sun and how much was known about this place?
10. Name some major ways in which the Elves were different from the Men.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the days and nights in Valinor. How do the days in Valinor differ from the days in Middle-earth?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Sun and the Moon. How are the different from the non-fictitious sun and moon?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the Silmarils and their importance in Morgoth's eyes.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)