|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the chief of the folk of the Harp?
2. Who was Turgon's sister?
3. Where did Turgon wander alone?
4. Who desired to posses Idril?
5. Who formed a league against Morgoth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Chapter 2 differ from Chapter 1?
2. Did Morgoth get away unscathed when he stole the Silmarils?
3. Who was the king of the Eagles, and how was he important after Fingolin's death?
4. Based on what you have read in Chapter 1, what do you predict about Morgoth throughout the story?
5. What is prose, what are prose fragments, and why were they used throughout Chapter 1?
6. How did Fingolin die?
7. Who created the World, what was his name, which beings did he create first, and which beings did he create second?
8. Why did Turgon spend so much time away from his people, and where did he go when he wanted to be alone?
9. Who was the chief of the Dark-Elves and what was he enchanted by?
10. Why did Christopher Tolkien add commentary to the prose fragments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Elves particular type of immortality. Can Elves be killed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the days and nights in Valinor. How do the days in Valinor differ from the days in Middle-earth?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the ways Morgoth disrupted the peace in Valinor.
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)