|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who led Turin to Nargothrond?
2. Who stopped Maidros and Maglor from stealing the Silmarils?
3. Who desired to posses Idril?
4. Who took the unbreakable oath by Timbrenting?
5. What element was Ulmo lord of?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Morgoth begin to grow in power and when did he begin the Orc-raids?
2. Why did Morgoth want to destroy the Eldar?
3. Why do you think the maps in Chapter 4 were included in the book?
4. Who was the king of the Eagles, and how was he important after Fingolin's death?
5. What were the Walls of the World and what was their purpose?
6. Who created the World, what was his name, which beings did he create first, and which beings did he create second?
7. Why were the Westward and Eastward Extension maps drawn, and how much did they overlap the main map?
8. What are the Annals and how do they differ from other parts of the book?
9. What was Vaiya and how did it differ above the Earth and below it?
10. What is prose, what are prose fragments, and why were they used throughout Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Morgoth assert and build on his power? Name several ways.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Morgoth's skill with manipulation. Give examples of ways Morgoth tricked the Gods.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Morgoth's conflict with the Gods and his imprisonment.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)