|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stopped Maidros and Maglor from stealing the Silmarils?
2. Where was Finrod killed?
3. Who was Turgon?
4. What published work does The Quenta most resemble?
5. Whom did Ulmo speak to about the need of the Elves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did J.R.R. Tolkien describe the Gnomes in Chapter 1?
2. Who created the World, what was his name, which beings did he create first, and which beings did he create second?
3. Who was Gelmir, who were his people, and why was he important to the story?
4. Who was the chief of the Dark-Elves and what was he enchanted by?
5. Based on what you have read in Chapter 1, what do you predict about Morgoth throughout the story?
6. What is prose, what are prose fragments, and why were they used throughout Chapter 1?
7. Who was to inherit the Earth, and what would become of the Elves?
8. Why did Christopher Tolkien add commentary to the prose fragments?
9. Who was the king of the Eagles, and how was he important after Fingolin's death?
10. How did the Men and Elves behave with each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Morgoth's skill with manipulation. Give examples of ways Morgoth tricked the Gods.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Elves particular type of immortality. Can Elves be killed?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Morgoth's fortress. Where was Morgoth's fortress built?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)