|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective was used to describe Maidros?
2. Whom did Ulmo speak to about the need of the Elves?
3. What were the colors of the Gnomes?
4. What were the alternate names for orcs?
5. What was the ship that Tuor built called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ulmo want the Valinor to do and why?
2. Who was Gelmir, who were his people, and why was he important to the story?
3. Name some major ways in which the Elves were different from the Men.
4. Based on what you have read in Chapter 1, what do you predict about Morgoth throughout the story?
5. Who was the chief of the Dark-Elves and what was he enchanted by?
6. Who created the World, what was his name, which beings did he create first, and which beings did he create second?
7. Who made the Silmarils, what were they, and how were they kept safe?
8. Who was to inherit the Earth, and what would become of the Elves?
9. Who was Melko, what was his alternate name, and why was he given this alternate name?
10. Did J.R.R. Tolkien describe the Gnomes in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the days and nights in Valinor. How do the days in Valinor differ from the days in Middle-earth?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the Battle of Unnumbered Tears. Who fought in this battle? Who was victorious?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Balrogs and analyze their role in The Terrible Last Battle. For whom did they fight and why did they fight?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)