|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Feanor's father?
2. Who named Dor-Lomin "Hisilome?"
3. What were the alternate names for orcs?
4. To whom were the Outer Lands given?
5. What was the alternate name for Idril?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who made two lamps to light the world and what happened to them?
2. Why did Christopher Tolkien add commentary to the prose fragments?
3. In what ways did Morgoth cause trouble?
4. What happened to many of the messengers that attempted to take the road from Outer-Earth to Valinor?
5. What is prose, what are prose fragments, and why were they used throughout Chapter 1?
6. What other name could the Gnomes be called, and how did they come to be known as Gnomes?
7. Who made the Silmarils, what were they, and how were they kept safe?
8. Did J.R.R. Tolkien describe the Gnomes in Chapter 1?
9. How did Chapter 2 differ from Chapter 1?
10. What two conflicts did the Gnomes face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Elves particular type of immortality. Can Elves be killed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Morgoth's skill with manipulation. Give examples of ways Morgoth tricked the Gods.
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the oath Maidros took.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)