|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did the Gnomes meet at Angband?
2. Who were the Noldoli?
3. Who was the mother of Turin?
4. What was the alternate name for the encampment of Mithrim?
5. Whom did Morgoth give jewels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to many of the messengers that attempted to take the road from Outer-Earth to Valinor?
2. What major mistake did the Valar make with Morgoth?
3. Based on what you have read in Chapter 1, what do you predict about Morgoth throughout the story?
4. Who created the World, what was his name, which beings did he create first, and which beings did he create second?
5. Why did Christopher Tolkien add commentary to the prose fragments?
6. What is prose, what are prose fragments, and why were they used throughout Chapter 1?
7. What other name could the Gnomes be called, and how did they come to be known as Gnomes?
8. What did Ulmo want the Valinor to do and why?
9. Who was to inherit the Earth, and what would become of the Elves?
10. What two conflicts did the Gnomes face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Morgoth's fortress. Where was Morgoth's fortress built?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the judgment of the Gods. When does it occur and whom does it affect?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the Gnomes. Who were they? Where did they live?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)