|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took Maidros captive?
2. What were the people called who began to dwell around the lake of Mithrim?
3. What was Turgon's harp strung with?
4. Who led Turin to Nargothrond?
5. Whom did Morgoth give jewels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two conflicts did the Gnomes face?
2. Why did Christopher Tolkien add commentary to the prose fragments?
3. What is prose, what are prose fragments, and why were they used throughout Chapter 1?
4. Who was Gelmir, who were his people, and why was he important to the story?
5. Who was Feanor and why was he important in the story?
6. Did Morgoth get away unscathed when he stole the Silmarils?
7. Who was the king of the Eagles, and how was he important after Fingolin's death?
8. Why were the Elves immortal?
9. Who was Melko, what was his alternate name, and why was he given this alternate name?
10. Who made two lamps to light the world and what happened to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Feanor and analyze his character.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the Gnomes. Who were they? Where did they live?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the ways Morgoth disrupted the peace in Valinor.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)