|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where did the Orcs retreat?
2. What was the alternate name of the Balrog chief?
3. What man did the prophecy speak of?
4. What was the sign of Golfin?
5. Who were the Eldalie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other name could the Gnomes be called, and how did they come to be known as Gnomes?
2. Who created the World, what was his name, which beings did he create first, and which beings did he create second?
3. Why did Morgoth want to destroy the Eldar?
4. Who was the king of the Eagles, and how was he important after Fingolin's death?
5. What is prose, what are prose fragments, and why were they used throughout Chapter 1?
6. Who made the Silmarils, what were they, and how were they kept safe?
7. What did Ulmo want the Valinor to do and why?
8. Who was Feanor and why was he important in the story?
9. In what ways did Morgoth cause trouble?
10. Who was Melko, what was his alternate name, and why was he given this alternate name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Melko and explain why the Gnomes named him Morgoth Bauglir.
Essay Topic 2
How does Morgoth assert and build on his power? Name several ways.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the Silmarils and their importance in Morgoth's eyes.
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)