|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the chief of the folk of the Harp?
2. Where did the Elves live?
3. What were the people called who began to dwell around the lake of Mithrim?
4. Whose axe slayed a thousand Orcs?
5. What was the name of the highest of the Iron Mountains surrounding Morgoth's fortress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Christopher Tolkien add commentary to the prose fragments?
2. Did J.R.R. Tolkien describe the Gnomes in Chapter 1?
3. Based on what you have read in Chapter 1, what do you predict about Morgoth throughout the story?
4. Why were the Elves immortal?
5. What other name could the Gnomes be called, and how did they come to be known as Gnomes?
6. Who was Gelmir, who were his people, and why was he important to the story?
7. How did Fingolin die?
8. Who made two lamps to light the world and what happened to them?
9. In what ways did Morgoth cause trouble?
10. Name some major ways in which the Elves were different from the Men.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the oath Maidros took.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the judgment of the Gods. When does it occur and whom does it affect?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Morgoth's conflict with the Gods and his imprisonment.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)