|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Morgoth give jewels?
2. What texts were explained in the first chapter?
3. Who was Gelmir king of?
4. Who told Feanor that Finnweg and Fingolfin planned to take away his leadership of the Gnomes?
5. What or whom did Elwing cast into the sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Fingolin die?
2. Did Morgoth get away unscathed when he stole the Silmarils?
3. What major mistake did the Valar make with Morgoth?
4. Why did Morgoth want to destroy the Eldar?
5. Who was Feanor and why was he important in the story?
6. Did J.R.R. Tolkien describe the Gnomes in Chapter 1?
7. What is prose, what are prose fragments, and why were they used throughout Chapter 1?
8. What other name could the Gnomes be called, and how did they come to be known as Gnomes?
9. In what ways did Morgoth cause trouble?
10. What two conflicts did the Gnomes face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the Gnomes. Who were they? Where did they live?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Sun and the Moon. How are the different from the non-fictitious sun and moon?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Balrogs and analyze their role in The Terrible Last Battle. For whom did they fight and why did they fight?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)