|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Finrod killed?
2. What characters spoke out against Feanor in the last section of Chapter 1?
(a) The Gnomes and the Elves.
(b) Feanor's father and the gnomes.
(c) Turgon and Finweg.
(d) Fingolfin and Finweg.
3. What two adjectives were used to describe the road from the Outer Earth to Valinor?
(a) Fun and easy.
(b) Beautiful and scenic.
(c) Hard and evil.
(d) Dangerous and dark.
4. What published work does The Quenta most resemble?
(a) The Annals.
(b) The Ambarkanta.
(c) The Simarillion.
(d) The Fall of Gondolin.
5. Who were the Noldoli?
(a) The Eldalie.
(b) Melian and Thingol.
(d) Gnomes or Deep-elves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon were the Elves very good with?
2. What texts were explained in the first chapter?
3. Who made a ladder for Morgoth?
4. What was Turgon's harp strung with?
5. Whom did Morgoth give jewels?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did Morgoth cause trouble?
2. Did Morgoth get away unscathed when he stole the Silmarils?
3. What two conflicts did the Gnomes face?
4. Who was the chief of the Dark-Elves and what was he enchanted by?
5. How did Fingolin die?
6. Why did Christopher Tolkien add commentary to the prose fragments?
7. What is prose, what are prose fragments, and why were they used throughout Chapter 1?
8. How did Chapter 2 differ from Chapter 1?
9. Based on what you have read in Chapter 1, what do you predict about Morgoth throughout the story?
10. What other name could the Gnomes be called, and how did they come to be known as Gnomes?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)