|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After fighting trollocs, who do Perrin and Faile encounter?
2. Who is outraged at Perrin's plan?
3. What does Perrin think about the initial attack by the trollocs?
4. What is the object that Nynaeve sees in a display case?
5. What news does Thom bring to Elayne and Nynaeve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excuse does Elaida use to depose Siuan, and how is Elaida being unwittingly manipulated?
2. What does Rand think about the peddler caravan?
3. What does Perrin suspect about Lord Luc's defiance of the Whitecloaks?
4. What does the discrepancy in orders about Rand indicate?
5. Why is Aviendha assigned by the Wise Ones to stay close to Rand?
6. How is Rand adjusting to his new status as the Aiel Car'a'carn?
7. How is Gaul's relationship to Bain and Chiad changing?
8. Who is Bayle Domon and why does he owe Nynaeve a favor?
9. Discuss the duel between Nynaeve and Moghedien.
10. How do Faile and Perrin reconcile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout THE SHADOW RISING.
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout THE SHADOW RISING.
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout THE SHADOW RISING.
Essay Topic 2
Mat and Rand ask the Wise Ones permission to enter Rhuidean. Discuss the following:
What is Rhuidean and why do you think potential Wise Ones and Clan Chiefs must go there before assuming their duties as Wise Ones and Clan Chiefs?
Why do the Wise Ones give Rand and Mat permission to enter Rhuidean? What does this break from tradition perhaps foreshadow?
Describe and analyze Mat's experience in Rhuidean. How much impact do you think his experience in Rhuidean will have on Mat in the future?
Essay Topic 3
Jordan synchronizes the action in four chapters by inserting the earthquake that Rand causes into each separate part of the story. Discuss the following:
Does Jordan's technique of showing the impact of the earthquake which Rand causes in four places help tie the story together? Why or why not?
Discuss the impact of the earthquake in each of the four settings in which it is experienced.
Do you think this earthquake is a foreshadowing of something in the future? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)