|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hopper?
2. What do the Atha'an Miere believe about Rand.
3. What does Egwene intend to do?
4. Who does Rand say must accompany him to Rhiudean?
5. When Perrin searches for wolves, what does he find?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rand feel about the people of Cairhien and what is Moiraine's response to that?
2. What does Elayne learn about the Windfinders and how do they instruct Elayne?
3. Why is Dain Bornheld in the Two Rivers and how is he being manipulated?
4. What does Moiraine think should be Rand's next step after taking over the Stone of Tear and what is Rand's response?
5. How does Mat realize he understands the Old Tongue?
6. How does Jordan synchronize several of the chapters with the image of the earthquake?
7. How does what happened to Thom's nephew, Owyn, affect Thom's life and choices?
8. Why do you think the Black Ajah decides to free Taim?
9. Who are rivals for Perrin's attention and how do they demonstrate that fact?
10. How does Rand "pull" on Perrin and Mat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the fight at the Stone of Tear in chapter ten, both Rand and Mat notice trollocs fighting trollocs, and Myrddraal fighting Myrddraal. They speculate that this phenomenon could be a sign that there is dissension among the Forsaken. Discuss the following:
Who are the forsaken and what is their purpose? Give examples.
If the forsaken are on the "same side"--that of the Dark One, why would they have different agendas?
Describe and analyze what is revealed about the Dark Lord by the way his followers behave and their actions.
Essay Topic 2
Since taking the Stone of Tear, Rand has kept to himself, pouring over prophetic texts he has had brought to him from the vast library in Tear. He is tired of being told what he needs to do by Aes Sedai who cite prophecy, and he has decided to draw his own conclusions. Discuss the following:
Trace and analyze the occurrences of prophesy in THE SHADOW RISING.
Many fantasy novels include some "prophesy" in their storyline. Why do you think this is?
How do you think Rand knowing about the prophesies about him will help him in the future? How could it hinder him?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
Compare/contrast Rand and Mat.
Compare/contrast Rand and Perrin.
Compare/contrast Mat and Perrin.
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)