|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Egwene tell Rand?
2. Where does Rand intend to go?
3. What does Faile tell Berelain?
4. What does Mat enter in Rhiudean?
5. What does Mat want to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jordan synchronize several of the chapters with the image of the earthquake?
2. How does what happened to Thom's nephew, Owyn, affect Thom's life and choices?
3. How does the ter'angreal doorway in Rhuidean differ from the one in Tear?
4. What does Mat wonder about the doorway ter'angreal in Rhuidean and what is Rand's response?
5. Do you think Lanfear's concern for Rand is genuine?
6. How do Thom and Moiraine both try to outmaneuver each other?
7. How does Rand feel about the people of Cairhien and what is Moiraine's response to that?
8. Who are rivals for Perrin's attention and how do they demonstrate that fact?
9. What do Mat and Rand think is a reason that trollocs and Myrddraal are fighting each other?
10. What symbols that seem to be "attached" to Mat and Perrin seem to suggest their relationship to Rand's purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Since taking the Stone of Tear, Rand has kept to himself, pouring over prophetic texts he has had brought to him from the vast library in Tear. He is tired of being told what he needs to do by Aes Sedai who cite prophecy, and he has decided to draw his own conclusions. Discuss the following:
Trace and analyze the occurrences of prophesy in THE SHADOW RISING.
Many fantasy novels include some "prophesy" in their storyline. Why do you think this is?
How do you think Rand knowing about the prophesies about him will help him in the future? How could it hinder him?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
Compare/contrast Rand and Mat.
Compare/contrast Rand and Perrin.
Compare/contrast Mat and Perrin.
Essay Topic 3
Dain Bornheld of the Whitecloaks believes he is in the Two Rivers to drive Perrin into the open, but it is Padan Fain who has manipulated Pedron Niall into the act, hoping to lure Rand back to his home by stirring up trouble in the Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
Who are the Whitecloaks and how do they impact the action/characters/plot in THE SHADOW RISING?
What is the irony of a leader of the Whitecloaks being manipulated by Padan Fain?
How are the actions of the Whitecloaks similar to some actions by fanatics in "real life"?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)