|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rand shock the Aiel?
2. Who tells Rand about two powerful sa'angreal?
3. What does Rand do with lightning from Callandor?
4. What could the two sa'angreal do?
5. What is the doorway that will answer three questions with truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Perrin and Loial differ in their opinion about what to do to the key to the Manethren Waygate?
2. Who are rivals for Perrin's attention and how do they demonstrate that fact?
3. How is Rand learning to use the One Power?
4. How does the rift between Faile and Perrin mirror the one with Gaul to Bain and Chiad?
5. How does Rand feel about the people of Cairhien and what is Moiraine's response to that?
6. What does Mat gain from his harrowing experience in the ter'angreal in Rhuidean?
7. What symbols that seem to be "attached" to Mat and Perrin seem to suggest their relationship to Rand's purpose?
8. How does Mat realize he understands the Old Tongue?
9. What does Rand learn about the history of the Aiel in Rhuidean?
10. How do Thom and Moiraine both try to outmaneuver each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though it is not a part of THE SHADOW RISING, the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand A'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in Shadow Rising?
Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince?
How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
Essay Topic 2
There is a "coup" in the White Tower and Siuan is deposed and stilled as the Amyrlin Seat. Discuss the following:
Why is Siuan deposed?
What happens as a result of the coup?
What does Min save Siuan and Leanne? Do you think she is wise to do so?
What does it mean to be stilled? How does it affect Siuan and Leanne?
What do you think about Elaida, the new Amyrlin Seat? Is she a capable replacement for Siuan?
Essay Topic 3
Since taking the Stone of Tear, Rand has kept to himself, pouring over prophetic texts he has had brought to him from the vast library in Tear. He is tired of being told what he needs to do by Aes Sedai who cite prophecy, and he has decided to draw his own conclusions. Discuss the following:
Trace and analyze the occurrences of prophesy in THE SHADOW RISING.
Many fantasy novels include some "prophesy" in their storyline. Why do you think this is?
How do you think Rand knowing about the prophesies about him will help him in the future? How could it hinder him?
This section contains 1,547 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)