|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Merton from athletic participation?
2. What did Merton discover about his father on the way to a cricket match?
3. Where was Merton's father born?
4. What class does Merton say is the best he ever took at college?
5. Where does Merton meet Bob Lax?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Merton downgrade his ability to play sports?
2. Describe Merton's reaction to his brother's baptism.
3. What important event takes place after Merton's acceptance into the monastery?
4. What characterizes the life of Merton's parents?
5. After the death of his father, why does Merton consider himself to be a rebel in New York?
6. In Part 3, Chapter 1, how does the reader know that God is the main focus of Merton's thoughts?
7. What is the significance of a book Merton purchased at Scribner's?
8. How is it shown in Part 1, Chapter 3, that literature was important in Merton's life?
9. What is the purpose of the essay in the Epilogue?
10. Describe some of the things that Merton loves about France.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As an adult, Merton continues to feel guilty about the way he treated his younger brother when they were children. Describe how this guilt is illustrated in the book. In your opinion, was Merton right to feel guilty?
Essay Topic 2
Merton was admitted to Cambridge University in England, but he never attends classes there, choosing instead to go the Columbia University in New York. What does this decision and the events surrounding it show about Merton's character and personality?
Essay Topic 3
Merton becomes involved with the student publications at Columbia University. Discuss in detail how working on these publications affects Merton's writing career and his spiritual quest.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)