|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was his father building in St. Antonin?
2. Why does Merton say he was "truly happy" in England?
3. Where does Merton attend his first Mass?
4. What medical problem plagued Merton on a backpacking trip in the Rhine Valley?
5. What did Merton discover about his father on the way to a cricket match?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Merton describe his visions of monastery cloisters?
2. What does Merton view as a cure for his sinfulness?
3. How does Merton describe his relationships with women in his book?
4. What does the image of John Paul waving from the car suggest to Merton?
5. How does Merton feel about living with his father's friends after his mother's death?
6. What important event takes place after Merton's acceptance into the monastery?
7. What does his teaching job at St. Bonaventure mean to Merton?
8. What worries does Merton have about his desire to write?
9. How does the death of Merton's mother affect him?
10. What are some of the errors Merton finds in the religion of Protestants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merton initially decides to join the Franciscans because Dan Walsh recommended the Order, believing it had an "easier" Rule than other religious Orders. Using what you know of Merton's personality from his book, discuss the influence other people have on his decisions. Support your answer with examples.
Essay Topic 2
Early on in his spiritual quest Merton believes Catholicism to be mysterious and secretive, and he also believes that Protestants commit many "errors" in their religious observance. Compare and contrast these beliefs and discuss the ways Merton's criticism of these two major religions moves him further on the path toward becoming a monk.
Essay Topic 3
Merton was admitted to Cambridge University in England, but he never attends classes there, choosing instead to go the Columbia University in New York. What does this decision and the events surrounding it show about Merton's character and personality?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)