|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of which place in St. Antonin does Merton have unpleasant memories?
2. Where does Merton attend his first Mass?
3. When was Thomas Merton born?
4. Who are M. and Mme. Privat?
5. What book leads Merton to review his opinion of Catholicism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Merton to attend his first Mass?
2. Why does Merton believe that going to church is not enough to fulfill his need for God?
3. How does the Baroness help Merton find his calling?
4. What criticisms can be made of the way Merton ended his book?
5. What are some of the internal struggles Merton faces in Part 1, Chapter 3?
6. After the death of his father, why does Merton consider himself to be a rebel in New York?
7. Why does Merton want to enter the monastery early?
8. How does the reader know in Part 1, Chapter 2, that Merton was thinking about religion while he was at school in England?
9. Why does Merton downgrade his ability to play sports?
10. Who does Merton credit with providing his only real religious training in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merton spends considerable time feeling guilty about his visits to bars in New York and what he does there. Why does Merton continue to do things he considers to be sinful, and how do Merton's repeated adventures in New York bars impact his desire to be a priest?
Essay Topic 2
Merton experienced times of unhappiness during his childhood. What experiences described in the book show that Merton was sometimes unhappy as a child? Discuss the impact of these childhood experiences on Merton's later life.
Essay Topic 3
Merton's university thesis was called "Nature and Art in William Blake."
1)How does his choice of thesis topic reflect his early childhood experiences?
2) What elements in Blake does Merton find relevant to his spiritual search?
3) How does writing this thesis prepare Merton for his life as a monk?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)