|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of which place in St. Antonin does Merton have unpleasant memories?
2. What, in Part 1, Chapter 4, is noticeably lacking the Merton's autobiography?
3. Who is Bramachari?
4. What language is Merton required to learn in England?
5. How does Merton describe his athletic endeavors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Merton's participation with student publications so satisfying to him?
2. What prompts Merton to attend his first Mass?
3. How does Merton describe his relationships with women in his book?
4. Why does Merton introduce characters like Andrew into his story?
5. How does Merton handle his spiritual condition upon returning from Cuba?
6. What worries does Merton have about his desire to write?
7. What are some of the internal struggles Merton faces in Part 1, Chapter 3?
8. How does the reader know in Part 1, Chapter 2, that Merton was thinking about religion while he was at school in England?
9. Describe some of the things that Merton loves about France.
10. What is the significance of a book Merton purchased at Scribner's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Literature and reading were always important to Merton throughout his life. Was Merton's choice of William Blake as the subject of his thesis indicative of his search for God? How does Merton use literature as a guide in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Merton had spoken with his Aunt Maude about becoming a journalist or writing novels, but changes his mind at Columbia and decides to teach. What was Merton's motivation for making this decision and what did he hope to accomplish? Does he succeed in meeting these goals? Please support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Merton was admitted to Cambridge University in England, but he never attends classes there, choosing instead to go the Columbia University in New York. What does this decision and the events surrounding it show about Merton's character and personality?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)