|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Karl feel when he sees Robert?
2. Why does Robert throw two bundles of money at Karl?
3. What does Robert say is the only way to achieve peace?
4. Why does Kristina ask Robert if his ear is bothering him?
5. What is wrong with Mario?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Karl and Robert. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ulrika and Kristina. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Settlers help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
The reader learns that Robert had been fleeing a life in which he was subservient to others. This seems more in keeping with his personality than do Robert's claims that he wanted to seek his fortune in California. Robert also does not seem to want to work hard.
1. How would Robert's personality possible be the type of personality of very good entrepreneurs? Discuss the character or personality traits with the types of skills an entrepreneur might need. Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
2. Discuss why a person like Robert might be called an under-achiever. Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
3. What kinds of work do you think a person like Robert might do in the present time? Why would you chose those types of work? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The Settlers is written in the genre of historical fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What sets historical fiction apart from other genres? Discuss several characteristics of historical fiction that are absent in other genres and vice verse.
2. Some people might say that historical fiction is merely for entertainment? Do you agree? Explain.
3. Discuss why The Settlers falls under the genre of historical fiction.
4. Why do you think literary criticism breaks down fiction into genres? Do you think the labeling of genre to a work is useful to a reader? Why or why not.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)