|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert hint about his wealth?
2. How does Robert feel when he gets back to Mario's camp?
3. What kind of warnings have them been in the paper about money?
4. Why does Robert throw two bundles of money at Karl?
5. Why does Robert leave Grand City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Settlers, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of isolation in The Settlers. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters seem most isolated? Why? What are some symbols of isolation? What characters seem to enjoy isolation? Which characters feel the most isolated? Which characters seem the least isolated?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of religion in The Settlers. How important is religion to the settlers? What do you think would have happened to Kristina if they had not had religion? Would her life have been better or worse?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of family. Compare/contrast how the people of The Settlers view family with your own culture. Which is most like your own view of family ties?
Essay Topic 3
When Kristina's attempts at planting a flower garden fail she thinks she may as well give up on trying. Kristina wasn't looking for flowers for the sake of their beauty as much as she was seeking to plant some flowers that would be the same as she had in Sweden. She takes her inability to make it happen as a sign that she cannot move the things she loved from Sweden to America. This is a continuation Kristina's effort to cling to the life she had in Sweden.
1. How do you think always looking to the past affects one's enjoyment of the present? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
2. Discuss the symbolism in Kristina attempting to plant the flower garden and it not working. Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
3. In what ways do you think Kristina feels like giving up and not trying? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)