|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert do after Arvid dies?
2. What does Karl tell Kristina he will not do?
3. What kind of work is Robert thinking about doing?
4. What does Robert do with Kristina when Karl goes to Stillwater?
5. Where do Mario and Robert go from the desert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Children of God is the sequel to Sparrow.
1. What are two advantages of writing two novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing two novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a stand-alone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a stand-alone book versus a sequel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book is more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not?
5. What type of plot do you think The Settlers is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
The Settlers is written in the genre of historical fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What sets historical fiction apart from other genres? Discuss several characteristics of historical fiction that are absent in other genres and vice verse.
2. Some people might say that historical fiction is merely for entertainment? Do you agree? Explain.
3. Discuss why The Settlers falls under the genre of historical fiction.
4. Why do you think literary criticism breaks down fiction into genres? Do you think the labeling of genre to a work is useful to a reader? Why or why not.
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)