|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Karl go when he leaves the house?
2. What kind of work is Robert thinking about doing?
3. What does Robert tell Karl about his fortunes?
4. What does Robert believe will happen when Karl finds out the money is good?
5. What does Kristina hear while she is working?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of isolation in The Settlers. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters seem most isolated? Why? What are some symbols of isolation? What characters seem to enjoy isolation? Which characters feel the most isolated? Which characters seem the least isolated?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of religion in The Settlers. How important is religion to the settlers? What do you think would have happened to Kristina if they had not had religion? Would her life have been better or worse?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of family. Compare/contrast how the people of The Settlers view family with your own culture. Which is most like your own view of family ties?
Essay Topic 2
Petrus says that he was exiled from Sweden for his religious beliefs and he touts the need for religious freedom. In reaction, ironically, Petrus becomes completely intolerant of anyone who believes anything other than what he teaches. He eventually tells Kristina that she must end her friendship with Ulrika because of Ulrika's faith in the Baptist denomination.
1. Discuss reasons why someone who is oppressed for beliefs would then become an oppressor. Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
2. It is often said the more a belief is oppressed the stronger that belief becomes. Do you think this is true? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
3. Discuss in depth why religious freedom might be beneficial to a nation. Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
After Petrus and his wife insist that Kristina break off her friendship with Ulrika, Kristina and Karl and both angry. Karl's anger is at least in part because he does not like the fact that Petrus is bossy and domineering. While Karl has been willing to listen to Petrus's advice, he doesn't like the fact that every comment from Petrus seems like an order.
1. Why do you think Kristina and Karl are angry and do you think they should be angry? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
2. There are many bossy and domineering people in life. What do you think are the character traits that might make a person bossy and domineering? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
3. There is a saying to never give advice unless you are asked for it, and sometimes even then, don't give it. Do you think this is a wise saying? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)