|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert tell Kristina about death?
2. What does Robert's face look like?
3. What kind of warnings have them been in the paper about money?
4. What does Kristina think about the money?
5. What are Robert and Arvid told about the road to California when they arrive in St. Louis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert was running from his problems by leaving for the gold fields. He realized very quickly that no matter how far he ran his character flaws were always there.
1. Running from problems by going somewhere else is called a "geographic cure." Discuss what do you think this means.
2. Do you believe taking the geographic cure is a good idea or a bad idea? Why or why not? Could it be different depending on the circumstance?
3. Discuss two situations that might respond well to a geographic cure and two that wouldn't be helped with on.
Essay Topic 2
Children of God is the sequel to Sparrow.
1. What are two advantages of writing two novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing two novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a stand-alone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a stand-alone book versus a sequel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of isolation in The Settlers. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters seem most isolated? Why? What are some symbols of isolation? What characters seem to enjoy isolation? Which characters feel the most isolated? Which characters seem the least isolated?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of religion in The Settlers. How important is religion to the settlers? What do you think would have happened to Kristina if they had not had religion? Would her life have been better or worse?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of family. Compare/contrast how the people of The Settlers view family with your own culture. Which is most like your own view of family ties?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)