|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert tell Kristina about his life?
2. Why does Robert throw two bundles of money at Karl?
3. What are Robert and Arvid told about the road to California when they arrive in St. Louis?
4. What surprises Robert when he wakes while soaking his feet?
5. What does Robert do about Mario?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Petrus and his wife insist that Kristina break off her friendship with Ulrika, Kristina and Karl and both angry. Karl's anger is at least in part because he does not like the fact that Petrus is bossy and domineering. While Karl has been willing to listen to Petrus's advice, he doesn't like the fact that every comment from Petrus seems like an order.
1. Why do you think Kristina and Karl are angry and do you think they should be angry? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
2. There are many bossy and domineering people in life. What do you think are the character traits that might make a person bossy and domineering? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
3. There is a saying to never give advice unless you are asked for it, and sometimes even then, don't give it. Do you think this is a wise saying? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Settlers.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Settlers. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Settlers. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Settlers based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Settlers is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that The Settlers is primarily for entertainment changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)