|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robert throw two bundles of money at Karl?
2. What does Kristina think about the money?
3. What does Karl believe about Robert and the money?
4. What are Robert and Arvid told about the road to California when they arrive in St. Louis?
5. Where is Karl when Robert walks up to him when Robert first comes home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Settlers based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Settlers is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that The Settlers is primarily for entertainment changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Karl notes that the stove he buys for Kristina is called the "queen" and that the stove has a bearing that is almost regal. However, he says that he has always taken control of all matters related to the outside while Kristina has reigned over the inside. He says that the stove may be called the "queen", but that the reality is that Kristina is the ruler.
1. Do you think Kristina really is the "ruler" in the family? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
2. Explain the irony of Karl buying a Christmas present for Kristina which is basically a work tool. What might this say about their lives? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
3. Considering that Karl is able to vote in elections but Kristina is not, that Karl is the one who decided to bring the family to America and Karl decided what house to build, and so many other issues, do you think Karl is wrong when he says he is ruler only of the outside or does it seem the power is not equal in the relationship? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of isolation in The Settlers. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters seem most isolated? Why? What are some symbols of isolation? What characters seem to enjoy isolation? Which characters feel the most isolated? Which characters seem the least isolated?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of religion in The Settlers. How important is religion to the settlers? What do you think would have happened to Kristina if they had not had religion? Would her life have been better or worse?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of family. Compare/contrast how the people of The Settlers view family with your own culture. Which is most like your own view of family ties?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)