|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Kristina think Robert will return to their farm?
2. How old is Karl in Chapter 8?
3. What is Kristina cooking for dinner?
4. What does Ulrika tell Kristina about an American husband?
5. Who does Kristina talk to who is as homesick as she is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Johan and why when a storm hits when Karl and Johan are on the road?
2. How did Robert get out of the desert and where do he and Mario go after the desert incident? What happens to Mario there?
3. What does Karl tell Petrus about Karl's brother, Robert?
4. Why does Karl get an ox and how does he get one?
5. Where does Robert go when he leaves the house and what does he imagine for a while?
6. What does Kristina name her new baby girl and why?
7. What does Kristina's best friend give her and what does she tell her to do with it on the way home?
8. What does Karl get Kristina for Christmas, where did he find it and how did he get it set up on Christmas morning?
9. How does Kristina feel when she realizes she is pregnant again, how many children has she had and what has happened to the two who died?
10. Why does Kristina take note of Njord at Ulrika's party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Settlers is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Children of God is the sequel to Sparrow.
1. What are two advantages of writing two novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing two novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a stand-alone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a stand-alone book versus a sequel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of isolation in The Settlers. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters seem most isolated? Why? What are some symbols of isolation? What characters seem to enjoy isolation? Which characters feel the most isolated? Which characters seem the least isolated?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of religion in The Settlers. How important is religion to the settlers? What do you think would have happened to Kristina if they had not had religion? Would her life have been better or worse?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of family. Compare/contrast how the people of The Settlers view family with your own culture. Which is most like your own view of family ties?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)