|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl do in the newspaper?
2. What does Karl say in the letter about Christmas?
3. About what does Petrus start talking?
4. What does Petrus do before eating?
5. With whom does Kristina know she will not be close friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Robert and Arvid find out about heading to California from St. Louis when they arrive, and what do they do in St. Louis?
2. How do Robert and Arvid set off for California from St. Louis?
3. How did Robert and Arvid get to St. Louis and what do they find out about where they are headed?
4. How does Ulrika feel about having a baby girl?
5. When did Karl get back from Stillwater in Wildcat Riches and what does he tell Kristina when he gets home?
6. What happens with Johan and why when a storm hits when Karl and Johan are on the road?
7. What gift from Ulrika does Kristina dislike and why? What does Karl say about it?
8. Why does Kristina go to Robert's room in Chapter 18?
9. Where does Robert go when he leaves the house and what does he imagine for a while?
10. What does Karl realize about Jonas and what is Karl's silent pledge to Jonas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Karl and Robert. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ulrika and Kristina. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Settlers help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of isolation in The Settlers. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters seem most isolated? Why? What are some symbols of isolation? What characters seem to enjoy isolation? Which characters feel the most isolated? Which characters seem the least isolated?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of religion in The Settlers. How important is religion to the settlers? What do you think would have happened to Kristina if they had not had religion? Would her life have been better or worse?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of family. Compare/contrast how the people of The Settlers view family with your own culture. Which is most like your own view of family ties?
Essay Topic 3
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Kristina is no exception.
1. Trace and analyze situations where Kristina demonstrates her fear and hopelessness. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Kristina's character flaws and explain how they create a more complex and believable character. How do you think Kristina's character flaws make some situations more difficult for her?
3. After analyzing Kristina's strengths and weaknesses, decide if Kristina is the "hero" of the story. Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)