|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl think would increase his harvest?
2. What does Ulrika's husband do?
3. What does Ulrika tell Kristina about an American husband?
4. What is Kristina cooking for dinner?
5. What does Kristina notice when Karl is leaving for Taylor Falls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Karl get an ox and how does he get one?
2. What does Karl tell Robert about the money and what is Robert's response?
3. What do Robert and Arvid find out about heading to California from St. Louis when they arrive, and what do they do in St. Louis?
4. How does Robert die and what does Karl do about Robert's death?
5. What does Ulrika plan to do to present her baby when it is born?
6. What are two hardships that happen in 1857 and how do they affect Karl and his family?
7. What does Karl tell Petrus about Karl's brother, Robert?
8. How does Robert get money from Mario and what does he do immediately after Mario's death?
9. Why is Kristina better able to take care of her family?
10. What does Kristina ask her uncle, Danjel, about, what is his response and what does she do about his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader learns that Robert had been fleeing a life in which he was subservient to others. This seems more in keeping with his personality than do Robert's claims that he wanted to seek his fortune in California. Robert also does not seem to want to work hard.
1. How would Robert's personality possible be the type of personality of very good entrepreneurs? Discuss the character or personality traits with the types of skills an entrepreneur might need. Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
2. Discuss why a person like Robert might be called an under-achiever. Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
3. What kinds of work do you think a person like Robert might do in the present time? Why would you chose those types of work? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Children of God is the sequel to Sparrow.
1. What are two advantages of writing two novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing two novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a stand-alone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a stand-alone book versus a sequel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Karl notes that the stove he buys for Kristina is called the "queen" and that the stove has a bearing that is almost regal. However, he says that he has always taken control of all matters related to the outside while Kristina has reigned over the inside. He says that the stove may be called the "queen", but that the reality is that Kristina is the ruler.
1. Do you think Kristina really is the "ruler" in the family? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
2. Explain the irony of Karl buying a Christmas present for Kristina which is basically a work tool. What might this say about their lives? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
3. Considering that Karl is able to vote in elections but Kristina is not, that Karl is the one who decided to bring the family to America and Karl decided what house to build, and so many other issues, do you think Karl is wrong when he says he is ruler only of the outside or does it seem the power is not equal in the relationship? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own knowledge to support your answer.
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)