|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Kristina obtained with Ulrika's help?
(a) A sewing machine.
(b) A horse.
(c) A spinning wheel.
(d) A mule.
2. Who decided to try to make a fortune on gold in California?
3. Who moved to America with Karl and his family?
(a) Karl's oldest brother Peter.
(b) Kristina's older brother Hans.
(c) No one.
(d) Karl's younger brother Robert.
4. Why was Petrus punished in Sweden?
(a) For his religious beliefs.
(b) For stealing food.
(c) For not paying his taxes.
(d) For defacing public property.
5. What does Karl think he should have done with the turnip ditch?
(a) Dug it deeper.
(b) Provided ventilation.
(c) Dug several layers.
(d) Dug it in the eastern side of the field.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thomassen ask of Kristina?
2. When does Kristina think Robert will return to their farm?
3. Why do the people meeting in Petrus' barn set aside a piece of land?
4. For what was Danjel Andreasson exiled from Sweden?
5. Who arrives in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Karl's sister Lydia ask in her letter, what is Karl's fear and what is Kristina's response to his fear?
2. What dream does Kristina have about a baby and how does she feel about the dream?
3. What does Karl tell Petrus about Karl's brother, Robert?
4. What does Ulrika plan to do to present her baby when it is born?
5. Why is Kristina better able to take care of her family?
6. Who arrives in Center City to open a general store and how does it go for him? How do the women feel about him?
7. What happens to the story of Karl and Johan, how does Kristina feel about it and what does Karl do about the ox?
8. Why does Kristina go to Robert's room in Chapter 18?
9. What happens with Johan and why when a storm hits when Karl and Johan are on the road?
10. What does Ulrika say to Kristina about the way she works and how does Kristina respond?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)