|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Petrus do before eating?
(b) Washes up.
(c) Offers to let one of the children sit on his lap.
2. Why do the people meeting in Petrus' barn set aside a piece of land?
(a) For building a church.
(b) For a community center.
(c) For a playground.
(d) For a cemetery.
3. When does Kristina give birth to her girl?
4. What does Karl say about their food supply?
(a) The sometimes are short, but not too often.
(b) They are always short and the children are often hungry.
(c) They have sufficient food to feed their family.
(d) They usually have a surfeit to sell at market.
5. Why does Karl have Johan run alongside the wagon?
(a) He doesn't allow Johan to run alongside the wagon.
(b) As punishment for disobeying Karl.
(c) To warm up.
(d) To get exercise.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Petrus get upset when he visits Kristina?
2. Why is Karl going to Taylor Falls?
3. What does Karl think he should have done with the turnip ditch?
4. What does Petrus admonish Karl and Kristina about as he is leaving?
5. Why does Kristina like Erland Torner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kristina find under Robert's pillow and what does Karl say when she shows him it?
2. How does Robert end up with the four thousand dollars he gave Karl?
3. What does Kristina come to realize about her life and what is her hope? What does she tell Kristina about their lives?
4. What happens to the story of Karl and Johan, how does Kristina feel about it and what does Karl do about the ox?
5. What gift from Ulrika does Kristina dislike and why? What does Karl say about it?
6. What happens when Kristina decides to plant flowers one day?
7. What did Karl's sister Lydia ask in her letter, what is Karl's fear and what is Kristina's response to his fear?
8. How did Robert and Arvid get to St. Louis and what do they find out about where they are headed?
9. For what is Jonas famous and what does he tell Karl?
10. What does Karl tell Robert about the money and what is Robert's response?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)