|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karl tell Kristina he will not do?
(a) Demand Robert tell them where Arvid is.
(b) Allow the children to be around Robert alone.
(c) Ask Robert about his luck in the gold fields.
(d) Let Robert stay with them.
2. What does Robert tell Kristina about death?
(a) He will be dying soon.
(b) He thinks it is a cruel joke of God's.
(c) It has no power over him.
(d) He is afraid of it.
3. What does Arvid tell Robert about Minnesota one night?
(a) He wants to return there.
(b) He never wants to go back.
(c) It is warmer in St. Louis than Minnesota.
(d) He is worried about his wife and child left there.
4. Where does Robert soak his feet?
(a) In the lake.
(b) In a washbasin.
(c) In a river.
(d) In a stream.
5. How does Robert feel when he gets back to Mario's camp?
(b) Enthusiastic about going to California.
(c) Empty, with no desire for life.
(d) Very lucky.
6. What does Robert decide to do when two mules have escaped?
(a) Tell Mario.
(b) Go back to sleep.
(c) Send Arvid after them.
(d) Go after them.
7. What does Karl believe when he examines the bills that Robert gave him?
(a) He believes they are stolen.
(b) He believes they are real.
(c) He believes he should turn in Robert to the law.
(d) He believes they are fake.
8. How did Arvid and Robert pay for their steamship passage?
(a) Washing dishes and helping in the kitchen.
(b) Working in the broiler room.
(c) Working as cabin stewards.
(d) Working as deck hands.
9. What does Robert do when he leaves the house after he and Karl fight?
(a) Goes to talk.
(b) Goes hunting.
(c) Goes and plays with the children.
(d) Takes a walk.
10. What do Robert and Arvid realize when morning comes?
(a) The mules are dead by the water.
(b) They are lost.
(c) The mules have returned.
(d) Mario has been looking for them.
11. How does Karl feel when he sees Robert?
(d) Relieved he is home.
12. What does Robert's face look like?
(a) Sunken and scabby.
(b) It has really bad burn scars on it.
(c) The same as when he left.
(d) Clean shaven and handsome.
13. What does Kristina notice when Robert returns to the house?
(a) He no longer has Arvid's watch.
(b) He is having a difficult time hearing.
(c) He seens very depressed.
(d) He is limping.
14. What did the building in Grand City used to be?
(a) A vegetable market.
(b) A potato cellar and a jail.
(c) A wagoneer owned it.
(d) A hotel and a bank.
15. How did Robert get to Grand City?
(a) He went with Fredrik Mattsson.
(b) He took a locomotive.
(c) He went with Johan Lasslasson.
(d) He joined another mule train.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Robert dressed when Karl sees him?
2. What do they hire on to help with in Mario's train?
3. Where is Karl when Robert walks up to him when Robert first comes home?
4. Why does Robert leave Grand City?
5. What does Kristina discover under Robert's pillow?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)