|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert call the money he gave Karl?
(a) Pocket money.
(b) Blood money.
(c) Dirty money.
(d) Death money.
2. What did the building in Grand City used to be?
(a) A hotel and a bank.
(b) A potato cellar and a jail.
(c) A wagoneer owned it.
(d) A vegetable market.
3. What has Kristina ordered the children to do?
(a) Follow Robert.
(b) Pull the weeds in the vegetable garden.
(c) Stay away from the lake.
(d) Get the laundry hung out.
4. How does Arvid die?
(a) Drinking poison water.
(b) He fell from a cliff.
(c) A mule kicked him in the head.
(d) Sun exposure.
5. Where do Karl and Kristina put the money?
(a) In a large storage chest.
(b) In the vegetable shed.
(c) Under their mattress.
(d) Buried in the back.
6. What do they hire on to help with in Mario's train?
(a) Repairing wagons.
(b) Cooking and laundry.
(c) Helping with the mules.
(d) Hired guns.
7. Where is Karl when Robert walks up to him when Robert first comes home?
(a) Working on the school house.
(b) At the general store.
(c) In his home with Kristina.
(d) Working in the field.
8. How did Robert get to Grand City?
(a) He went with Fredrik Mattsson.
(b) He joined another mule train.
(c) He went with Johan Lasslasson.
(d) He took a locomotive.
9. Why was Karl late returning from Stillwater?
(a) He was ill.
(b) He had to wait for the bank to check on his question about the money.
(c) He ran into some friends from Sweden.
(d) He had trouble with the ox cart.
10. Where does Karl go when he leaves the house?
(a) To the north field.
(b) To find Johan.
(c) Into town.
(d) To work on the school house.
11. What does Arvid tell Robert about Minnesota one night?
(a) He never wants to go back.
(b) He wants to return there.
(c) It is warmer in St. Louis than Minnesota.
(d) He is worried about his wife and child left there.
12. What does Robert do when he leaves the house after he and Karl fight?
(a) Goes hunting.
(b) Goes to talk.
(c) Takes a walk.
(d) Goes and plays with the children.
13. What kind of warnings have them been in the paper about money?
(a) The government is printing too much money.
(b) All money issued by a bank is good.
(c) There is a lot of worthless money floating around.
(d) The only good money is gold.
14. What does Kristina discover under Robert's pillow?
(a) Arvid's watch.
(b) A stack of gold coins.
(c) Robert's diary.
(d) A wanted poster with Robert's name on it.
15. What kind of things would Karl like to use the cash to buy?
(a) Oxen and farm implements.
(b) A trip back to Sweden.
(c) Clothes for the family.
(d) A new house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the building Robert goes to in Grand City?
2. What does Robert say to Karl after their fight?
3. What did Robert's ear begin to do in St. Louis?
4. How does Karl feel when he sees Robert?
5. What does Robert's face look like?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)