|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Arvid die?
(a) A mule kicked him in the head.
(b) Sun exposure.
(c) He fell from a cliff.
(d) Drinking poison water.
2. What kind of things would Karl like to use the cash to buy?
(a) Clothes for the family.
(b) A trip back to Sweden.
(c) Oxen and farm implements.
(d) A new house.
3. What did the building in Grand City used to be?
(a) A potato cellar and a jail.
(b) A vegetable market.
(c) A hotel and a bank.
(d) A wagoneer owned it.
4. Where is Karl when Robert walks up to him when Robert first comes home?
(a) In his home with Kristina.
(b) Working in the field.
(c) Working on the school house.
(d) At the general store.
5. How did Robert get out of the desert?
(a) Another mule train came along.
(b) He just walked until he found the camp.
(c) Some Apaches found him.
(d) Mario found him.
6. What does Arvid tell Robert about Minnesota one night?
(a) He never wants to go back.
(b) It is warmer in St. Louis than Minnesota.
(c) He is worried about his wife and child left there.
(d) He wants to return there.
7. What does Robert say when Karl asks him about Arvid's watch?
(a) That he accidentally killed Arvid.
(b) Arvid is in St. Louis.
(c) Robert noticed it was missing.
(d) Arvid sent it with him.
8. Where do Karl and Kristina put the money?
(a) In a large storage chest.
(b) In the vegetable shed.
(c) Buried in the back.
(d) Under their mattress.
9. What is wrong with Mario?
(a) Sun stroke.
(b) Old age.
(c) Yellow fever.
(d) Liver disease.
10. What kind of work is Robert thinking about doing?
(d) Opening a general store.
11. What does Robert tell Karl about his fortunes?
(a) He wish he was dead.
(b) He is now wealthy.
(c) He has some money, but not much.
(d) He is poor.
12. What does Robert say about his ear?
(a) It bleeds all the time.
(b) It hurts him immensely.
(c) It is fine.
(d) It talks to him at night.
13. Where does Robert soak his feet?
(a) In the lake.
(b) In a washbasin.
(c) In a river.
(d) In a stream.
14. What are Robert and Arvid told about the road to California when they arrive in St. Louis?
(a) It is a fairly easy trip.
(b) It is too close to winter to go.
(c) It is a very dangerous road due to bandits.
(d) It has been blocked off by a landslide.
15. What does Kristina think about the money?
(a) Karl should give it back to Robert.
(b) How much it could help the family.
(c) They can use it to return to Sweden.
(d) It should be burned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Karl the most about what Robert hasn't said?
2. What does Robert tell Kristina about death?
3. What does Robert say to Karl after their fight?
4. Where does Karl go when he leaves the house?
5. What does Karl tell Kristina he will not do?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)