|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karl say not longer rejuvenates him?
(a) Taking his wife to bed.
(b) Playing with his children.
(c) Eating a large breakfast.
(d) A night's sleep.
2. Why do the people meeting in Petrus' barn set aside a piece of land?
(a) For a community center.
(b) For a cemetery.
(c) For building a church.
(d) For a playground.
3. What does Ulrika tell Kristina she is going to do?
(a) Divorce Henry.
(b) Send her children to public schools.
(c) Name her son Karl.
(d) Have a party at her house.
4. What stops Karl on his way to Danjel's house?
(a) His wagon gets stuck in the mud.
(b) A tree falls across the road.
(c) Part of the road becomes a sinkhole.
(d) A man is lying on the roadside.
5. Who is Arvid?
(a) Kristina's brother.
(b) Karl's brother.
(c) Petrus' brother.
(d) The boyhood friend of Robert's.
6. What does Petrus call foolish?
(a) Robert's quest.
(b) Trying to grow fruit trees.
(c) Growing wheat in that soil.
(d) Hans' quest.
7. What quickly spread throughout the region?
(a) How the mill is cheating the settlers.
(b) That Karl refuses to eat his ox meat.
(c) How Karl saves his son's life.
(d) That there is going to be a revival.
8. Whose scriptural interpretations does Kristina sometimes question?
9. About what is Petrus embarrassed when he goes home with Karl?
(a) That Karl's wife looks him right in the eye.
(b) That one of Karl's sons is not wearing pants.
(c) That Kristena is wearing slacks.
(d) That Karl's baby girl is naked.
10. What does Lydia ask about in her letter to Karl?
(a) Their brother Robert.
(b) His children.
(c) If she can join him in America.
(d) What to do with their elderly parents.
11. Who moved to America with Karl and his family?
(a) Kristina's older brother Hans.
(b) No one.
(c) Karl's younger brother Robert.
(d) Karl's oldest brother Peter.
12. What does Kristina sometimes feel disappointed about when she wakes in the morning?
(a) She has to get up and start the day.
(b) She is in America.
(c) She is not able to cook the big breakfasts like they had in the old country.
(d) She is not pregnant.
13. How old is Karl in Chapter 8?
14. Why does Karl write the letter in question #70?
(a) He is lonely.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He wants some answers.
(d) He does it every year.
15. Who is Petrus Olausson?
(a) The town mayor.
(b) Karl's uncle.
(c) Karl's brother-in-law.
(d) Another man who is cutting wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Kristina know she will not be close friends?
2. What does the person in question #54 do about being homesick?
3. What does Karl discover about the turnips that he goes to get?
4. What does Petrus tell Kristina about Ulrika?
5. What does Kristina wonder about the Swedes who continue to settle the land around them?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)