|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Petrus Olausson?
(a) The town mayor.
(b) Karl's uncle.
(c) Another man who is cutting wood.
(d) Karl's brother-in-law.
2. Why does Kristina like Erland Torner?
(a) He likes children.
(b) He laughs a lot.
(c) He gives a kinder interpretation to the scriptures.
(d) He is tolerant.
3. What is one of the inventions the newspaper writes about?
(a) Steam powered automobile.
4. With whom does Kristina know she will not be close friends?
5. What does Karl say about their food supply?
(a) They usually have a surfeit to sell at market.
(b) They are always short and the children are often hungry.
(c) The sometimes are short, but not too often.
(d) They have sufficient food to feed their family.
6. When does Kristina give birth to her girl?
7. What does Petrus admonish Karl and Kristina about as he is leaving?
(a) To remember about the corn.
(b) To try to get Robert back home.
(c) To watch the depth of the ditch.
(d) To not forget their spiritual needs.
8. What does Karl continue to track over the years?
(a) His brother's whereabouts.
(b) His yearly harvests.
(c) His yearly taxes.
(d) His children's growth.
9. What has Kristina obtained with Ulrika's help?
(a) A spinning wheel.
(b) A sewing machine.
(c) A mule.
(d) A horse.
10. What does Petrus call foolish?
(a) Trying to grow fruit trees.
(b) Robert's quest.
(c) Hans' quest.
(d) Growing wheat in that soil.
11. What does Karl Nilson hear as he is working in the forest?
(a) A strange bird call.
(b) A wolf howling.
(c) The sound of another axe in the forest.
(d) A wild boar grunting.
12. What does Petrus do before eating?
(c) Washes up.
(d) Offers to let one of the children sit on his lap.
13. Why is Karl going to Taylor Falls?
(a) To purchase a new plow.
(b) To have his millet ground.
(c) To buy spring seeds.
(d) To have his grain milled.
14. About what is Kristina self conscious?
(a) Her shoes are so worn.
(b) Her hair is coming loose from its bun.
(c) Her homemade dress.
(d) Speaking English.
15. Who does Kristina talk to who is as homesick as she is?
(a) Paul Nyord.
(b) Anders Mansson.
(c) Nathaniel Guissom.
(d) Stephen Nisslson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives in the middle of the night?
2. What has Karl built for the second time for his family?
3. Where is Karl's house located?
4. How old is Karl in Chapter 8?
5. What does Ulrika tell Kristina about an American husband?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)