|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Petrus Olausson?
(a) Karl's uncle.
(b) The town mayor.
(c) Another man who is cutting wood.
(d) Karl's brother-in-law.
2. Who does Kristina talk to who is as homesick as she is?
(a) Paul Nyord.
(b) Nathaniel Guissom.
(c) Stephen Nisslson.
(d) Anders Mansson.
3. Why was Petrus punished in Sweden?
(a) For not paying his taxes.
(b) For defacing public property.
(c) For his religious beliefs.
(d) For stealing food.
4. What fruit does Kristina have for dinner?
5. When does Kristina think Robert will return to their farm?
(a) When he has made his fortune.
(b) When he is completely destitute.
(c) When he is married.
(d) When his first child arrives.
6. What does Petrus do before eating?
(a) Offers to let one of the children sit on his lap.
(c) Washes up.
7. What does Kristina notice when Karl is leaving for Taylor Falls?
(a) The red sun.
(b) Karl is limping.
(c) Her son is flushed.
(d) The horse is limping slightly.
8. What does Ulrika tell Kristina about an American husband?
(a) An American husband would have to go to the army.
(b) An American husband would make more money.
(c) He would do some of her chores.
(d) He would not help her with woman's work.
9. What does Karl discover about the turnips that he goes to get?
(a) They are fine.
(b) They are rotten.
(c) They are gone.
(d) They have sprouted.
10. What does Karl Nilson hear as he is working in the forest?
(a) The sound of another axe in the forest.
(b) A strange bird call.
(c) A wolf howling.
(d) A wild boar grunting.
11. What does Thomassen ask of Kristina?
(a) That she cook a Swedish dish for him.
(b) That she sew his torn work clothes.
(c) That she come to visit him sometime.
(d) That she have an affair with him.
12. What gift does Ulrika give Kristina?
(a) A smoked ham.
(b) A purse.
(c) A chicken with chicks.
(d) A new dress.
13. Where is Karl's house located?
(a) On the shores of Lake Osaegen.
(b) On the shores of Lake Ki-Chi-Saga.
(c) Halfway up a mountain.
(d) On the coast of a harbor that goes out to the sea.
14. What has Karl planted for use in the future for clothing?
15. Why does Karl write the letter in question #70?
(a) He is lonely.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He does it every year.
(d) He wants some answers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Kristina give birth to her girl?
2. Why does Kristina cry out when she sees Johan?
3. What does Kristina wonder about the Swedes who continue to settle the land around them?
4. What quickly spread throughout the region?
5. What is Kristina cooking for dinner?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)