|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karl say not longer rejuvenates him?
(a) A night's sleep.
(b) Taking his wife to bed.
(c) Eating a large breakfast.
(d) Playing with his children.
2. Where does Ulrika Jackson live?
(d) Kansas City.
3. What does Thomassen ask of Kristina?
(a) That she have an affair with him.
(b) That she sew his torn work clothes.
(c) That she cook a Swedish dish for him.
(d) That she come to visit him sometime.
4. What is one of the inventions the newspaper writes about?
(a) Steam powered automobile.
5. Who is Petrus Olausson?
(a) Karl's uncle.
(b) Karl's brother-in-law.
(c) The town mayor.
(d) Another man who is cutting wood.
6. About what is Petrus embarrassed when he goes home with Karl?
(a) That Karl's baby girl is naked.
(b) That one of Karl's sons is not wearing pants.
(c) That Kristena is wearing slacks.
(d) That Karl's wife looks him right in the eye.
7. Why does Karl have Johan run alongside the wagon?
(a) As punishment for disobeying Karl.
(b) To warm up.
(c) To get exercise.
(d) He doesn't allow Johan to run alongside the wagon.
8. About what does Petrus start talking?
(a) That Petrus' wife is expecting their first child.
(b) About the crops he is planting at home.
(c) That Karl should have buried the turnips in a shallower ditch.
(d) About the death of his only child to diphtheria.
9. When does Kristina give birth to her girl?
10. What does Karl think would increase his harvest?
(a) An ox to pull the plow.
(b) Better seeds.
(d) A better way to fertilize.
11. Why does Kristina like Erland Torner?
(a) He is tolerant.
(b) He likes children.
(c) He laughs a lot.
(d) He gives a kinder interpretation to the scriptures.
12. Who does Kristina talk to who is as homesick as she is?
(a) Stephen Nisslson.
(b) Nathaniel Guissom.
(c) Anders Mansson.
(d) Paul Nyord.
13. Who is Judit?
(a) Petrus' wife.
(b) Ulrika's oldest daughter.
(c) Petrus's oldest daughter.
(d) Kristina's youngest sister.
14. Why was Petrus punished in Sweden?
(a) For not paying his taxes.
(b) For stealing food.
(c) For his religious beliefs.
(d) For defacing public property.
15. What does Petrus do before eating?
(a) Washes up.
(d) Offers to let one of the children sit on his lap.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Ulrika travel to America?
2. For what was Danjel Andreasson exiled from Sweden?
3. What gift does Ulrika give Kristina?
4. What does Karl do in the newspaper?
5. Who decided to try to make a fortune on gold in California?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)