Chapters 1 through 5
• Karl Oskar Nilson is working in the forest when he hears an axe. This is strange to him because there are few people in the area.
• Karl finds a man named Petrus Olausson cutting timber for his house and Karl invites him home to meet his wife.
• Karl lives on the shores of Lake Chisaga and three of his children run to meet him as he comes home with Petrus.
• The youngest son embarrasses Petrus because he has no pants. His pants are being sewn.
• Karl explains to Petrus that it is difficult keeping the children in clothing as they grow so quickly.
• Kristina, Karl's wife, is happy to have neighbors and is cooking fish stew as she was not expecting guests.
• Petrus immediately begins to give advice to Karl and Karl knows that all the advice is not good.
• Kristina begins to cook pancakes, and...
This section contains 2,503 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)