|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator's personal solicitor?
2. How long ago does the solicitor say Mrs. Ford's will was drawn up in Chapter 2?
3. Where does John Ford claim to be located when he contacts the narrator in Chapter 2?
4. What word from Chapter 2 means having a tendency to become liquid?
5. The narrator asserts in Chapter 2 that "it ought to be obvious to us that time doesn't act as a fixative, rather as a" what (119)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ultimate truth that the protagonist discovers regarding the mentally disabled man in Chapter 2?
2. How does the protagonist perceive his past with Veronica when he first receives the letter regarding Mrs. Ford's inheritance?
3. What is the second document bequeathed to the protagonist? Why does he seek its ownership?
4. What is revealed in the letter from Sarah Ford to the protagonist in the first document he receives?
5. What are the two types of women that the protagonist recalls Margaret discussing with him in Chapter 2? Which characters fall into these categories?
6. What does the protagonist recall about the Severn Bore as he returns from his second meeting with Veronica in Chapter 2?
7. How does the narrator go about dealing with Veronica during their early exchanges on email? Is he successful using this tactic?
8. What does the protagonist learn during his first meeting with Veronica at the Wobbly Bridge?
9. How does Veronica describe her parents' deaths in Chapter 2?
10. Where does the protagonist meet Veronica for their third meeting in Chapter 2? How is this setting described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the various settings that are presented in The Sense of an Ending. Where does the novel begin? Where does it end? How does the author use imagery in describing these settings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of suicide in The Sense of an Ending. How is the act of suicide regarded by the protagonist and his friends? What characters commit suicide and why? What does suicide represent thematically in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the revelations that the narrator discovers at the end of Chapter 2. What does the narrator discern to be the real reason behind Adrian's suicide? How does this revelation explain Veronica's behavior? What does the revelation signify to the protagonist?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)