|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contact information does the narrator receive for John Ford from Mrs. Marriott in Chapter 2?
2. Who is the author of the book that Veronica is reading at the brasserie when the narrator meets her in Chapter 2?
3. From whom is the first letter to Adrian and Veronica that is in the envelope given to the narrator from Veronica in Chapter 2?
4. The narrator asserts in Chapter 2 that "it ought to be obvious to us that time doesn't act as a fixative, rather as a" what (119)?
5. What did Veronica's mother take up after the death of her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the protagonist perceive his past with Veronica when he first receives the letter regarding Mrs. Ford's inheritance?
2. How does the narrator go about dealing with Veronica during their early exchanges on email? Is he successful using this tactic?
3. What does the protagonist recall about the Severn Bore as he returns from his second meeting with Veronica in Chapter 2?
4. What are the two types of women that the protagonist recalls Margaret discussing with him in Chapter 2? Which characters fall into these categories?
5. How does the protagonist describe his relationship with Susie in Chapter 2?
6. Who does Veronica point out to the protagonist during their third meeting in Chapter 2? What information does she reveal to the protagonist during this meeting?
7. What does the protagonist conclude about his journey and life in the conclusion of the novel?
8. What is revealed in the letter from Sarah Ford to the protagonist in the first document he receives?
9. How does the protagonist respond to the letter he reads from Veronica's envelope in Chapter 2?
10. Who has possession of the second document bequeathed to the protagonist from Mrs. Ford? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Veronica Ford in the novel. When and where does the narrator meet Veronica? How is her demeanor described? How does the narrator's relationship develop with Veronica?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator/protagonist's experiences when he visits the Ford family home. How does the narrator regard Mr. Ford? What are his impressions of Jack? Why is the narrator taken aback by his exchange with Mrs. Ford?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of time in The Sense of an Ending. What commentary does the narrator make on the passage of time? How does the passage of time change in a person's life? How does the theme of time relate to the theme of memory?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)