|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator's personal solicitor?
2. What does Veronica remark about the narrator's appearance when they meet at the Wobbly Bridge in Chapter 2?
3. What did Veronica's mother take up after the death of her husband?
4. What is the name of the song by the punk rock band led by a friend of the narrator's in Chapter 2?
5. The narrator asserts in Chapter 2 that "it ought to be obvious to us that time doesn't act as a fixative, rather as a" what (119)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization does the protagonist first come to regarding the mentally disabled man in North London?
2. How does the protagonist express his remorse to Veronica regarding the letter in Chapter 2? How does she respond?
3. What is the ultimate truth that the protagonist discovers regarding the mentally disabled man in Chapter 2?
4. Who does Veronica point out to the protagonist during their third meeting in Chapter 2? What information does she reveal to the protagonist during this meeting?
5. What exchange takes place between the protagonist and Veronica during their second meeting at the brasserie in Chapter 2?
6. What advice does Margaret give to the protagonist when she first meets him for lunch to discuss his situation in Chapter 2?
7. What memory comes back to the protagonist as he takes the train to meet Veronica at the brasserie for their second meeting in Chapter 2?
8. What is revealed in the letter from Sarah Ford to the protagonist in the first document he receives?
9. What does the protagonist recall about the Severn Bore as he returns from his second meeting with Veronica in Chapter 2?
10. Who is T. J. Gunnell and why does the protagonist meet with him in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of memory in The Sense of an Ending. How does the author evoke this theme through symbolism, imagery, and setting? How does the author explore this theme through characters and their actions and motivations? What commentary does the narrator provide regarding memory?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the Severn Born in The Sense of an Ending? Where in the novel does the author describe this phenomenon? What do you think it symbolizes? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of time in The Sense of an Ending. What commentary does the narrator make on the passage of time? How does the passage of time change in a person's life? How does the theme of time relate to the theme of memory?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)