|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Adrian commit suicide?
2. What does the narrator say he does now at the local hospital in the conclusion of Chapter 1?
3. The narrator states in Chapter 1, "If Alex had read Russell and Wittgenstein, Adrian had read" whom (23)?
4. Into what field did the narrator begin training after he left college?
5. What did Veronica tell the narrator that the only purpose of a woman's period was?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter from Adrian say regarding Veronica in Chapter 1?
2. How is Veronica's visit to London described when she goes to meet the protagonist's friends?
3. How does the dynamic of the narrator's group of friend's change with the introduction of Adrian?
4. How is Veronica described when the narrator first meets her?
5. What philosophical arguments are made regarding the act of suicide among the protagonist and his friends during high school?
6. Whom did the protagonist marry? How does he describe the early years of their marriage?
7. Where does the protagonist go after completing college? How does he describe his experiences there?
8. Who is Old Joe Hunt and what role does he play in the narrative?
9. What is the protagonist's response to Adrian's letter regarding Veronica in Chapter 1?
10. Why does the protagonist feel that Veronica may be partly to blame for Adrian's suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the protagonist unable to obtain the second document that was left to him by Mrs. Ford in her will? How does he attempt to obtain this document? What information do you think is/was revealed in this document? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the letter from Mrs. Eleanor Marriott in The Sense of an Ending? How does the protagonist respond to the letter? In what ways does the receipt of this letter alter the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the Severn Born in The Sense of an Ending? Where in the novel does the author describe this phenomenon? What do you think it symbolizes? Why?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)