|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the narrator attend college?
2. To what university did Adrian win a scholarship?
3. How did Alex say Adrian appeared the last time he saw him when he met with the narrator to discuss Adrian's suicide?
4. How many siblings does the narrator describe Adrian as having in Chapter 1?
5. What does the narrator say he and his friends regarded as "a crypto-fascist plan for repressing our sex drive" (18)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the protagonist's mother's theory regarding Adrian's suicide? How does the protagonist respond to this theory?
2. How does the dynamic of the narrator's group of friend's change with the introduction of Adrian?
3. Who is Old Joe Hunt and what role does he play in the narrative?
4. What are the protagonist's impressions of the Ford family when he meets them?
5. In the present tense narrative, what are the protagonist's circumstances as described in the conclusion of Chapter 1?
6. How is the narrative related in The Sense of an Ending? From whose perspective is the story told? Why?
7. How is Veronica described when the narrator first meets her?
8. Who commits suicide during the ptrotagonist's high school years? Why?
9. How does the narrator describe the meeting with his friends one year after Adrian's suicide?
10. What is the protagonist's response to Adrian's letter regarding Veronica in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the author's use of philosophical and literary allusions in The Sense of an Ending. What are some examples of these allusions? How do the philosophical theories discussed relate to the themes and/or plot of the novel? How do the literary allusions relate to The Sense of an Ending?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator/protagonist's experiences when he visits the Ford family home. How does the narrator regard Mr. Ford? What are his impressions of Jack? Why is the narrator taken aback by his exchange with Mrs. Ford?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Veronica Ford in the novel. When and where does the narrator meet Veronica? How is her demeanor described? How does the narrator's relationship develop with Veronica?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)