|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Chapter 1 that he and his friends assured one another that the imagination's first duty was to be what?
2. The narrator states in Chapter 1, "Adrian might attract people, but he never behaved as if he wanted" what?
3. How does the narrator say he and his friends wore their watches in Chapter 1?
4. Where did Colin, Alex, and the narrator meet for drinks a year after Adrian's death?
5. What set Adrian Finn apart from the other boys, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the protagonist's response to Adrian's letter regarding Veronica in Chapter 1?
2. What philosophical arguments are made regarding the act of suicide among the protagonist and his friends during high school?
3. How does the dynamic of the narrator's group of friend's change with the introduction of Adrian?
4. Why do the protagonist and his friends urge Adrian to investigate his parents' divorce in Chapter 1?
5. What differences can be seen between Veronica and the protagonist during their courtship?
6. What exchange takes place between the protagonist and Mrs. Ford when they are alone during breakfast when he visits?
7. What information is revealed regarding the contents of Adrian's suicide letter?
8. Who informs the protagonist of Adrian's death? How has Adrian died?
9. What do the protagonist and Alex conclude regarding Adrian's suicide?
10. Where do the protagonist and his friends go to college after high school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the Severn Born in The Sense of an Ending? Where in the novel does the author describe this phenomenon? What do you think it symbolizes? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the protagonist and narrator of The Sense of an Ending. What is the protagonist's name? What aspects of his character stand out? How old is the narrator in Chapters 1 and 2? How does his character develop over the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the protagonist unable to obtain the second document that was left to him by Mrs. Ford in her will? How does he attempt to obtain this document? What information do you think is/was revealed in this document? Why?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)