|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states in Chapter 1, "If Alex had read Russell and Wittgenstein, Adrian had read" whom (23)?
2. What did the notice say that Adrian pinned to the bathroom door before committing suicide (96-97)?
3. Which of his friends does the narrator describe as denouncing his family in Chapter 1?
4. The narrator questions in Chapter 1 whether there is "anything more plausible than" what (11)?
5. What word in Chapter 1 means behaving in an obsequious way to gain advantage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the protagonist and Alex conclude regarding Adrian's suicide?
2. Where does the protagonist go after completing college? How does he describe his experiences there?
3. What are the protagonist's impressions of the Ford family when he meets them?
4. What exchange takes place between the protagonist and Mrs. Ford when they are alone during breakfast when he visits?
5. How does the dynamic of the narrator's group of friend's change with the introduction of Adrian?
6. Why does the protagonist feel that Veronica may be partly to blame for Adrian's suicide?
7. How is Veronica's visit to London described when she goes to meet the protagonist's friends?
8. How does the narrator describe his high school? Where is the school located?
9. How does the narrator describe the meeting with his friends one year after Adrian's suicide?
10. Where do the protagonist and his friends go to college after high school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the protagonist unable to obtain the second document that was left to him by Mrs. Ford in her will? How does he attempt to obtain this document? What information do you think is/was revealed in this document? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the letter from Mrs. Eleanor Marriott in The Sense of an Ending? How does the protagonist respond to the letter? In what ways does the receipt of this letter alter the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Margaret in The Sense of an Ending. When and where did the narrator meet Margaret? How does he characterize their marriage? What led to their divorce?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)