|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from Chapter 2 means having a tendency to become liquid?
2. In comparing himself to Adrian, the narrator notes in Chapter 2 that Adrian used logic whereas the narrator used what?
(a) Common sense.
3. About how many years has it been since the narrator visited the Ford family when the narrator receives the notice of Mrs. Ford's will in Chapter 2?
(a) 40 years.
(b) 30 years.
(c) 45 years.
(d) 50 years.
4. What apparently led to Adrian's suicide, as revealed in the end of the novel?
(a) He got Veronica Ford pregnant.
(b) He killed his father.
(c) His parents disowned him.
(d) He got Sarah Ford pregnant.
5. The narrator says in Chapter 2, "Like most people, I have superstitions attached to" what (202)?
(a) "Walking across bridges."
(b) "Walking under ladders."
(c) "The taking of a journey."
(d) "Going to cemeteries."
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Chapter 2, "I don't envy Adrian his death, but I do envy him" what (197)?
2. Which of the "two sorts of women" does the narrator assert Margaret to be in Chapter 2 (124)?
3. What does Margaret refer to Veronica as when she meets the narrator for lunch to discuss the matter in Chapter 2?
4. Where is the brasserie on the third floor of John Lewis located that Veronica chooses to meet the narrator at in Chapter 2?
5. How much money did Mrs. Ford leave to the narrator in her will?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the protagonist express his remorse to Veronica regarding the letter in Chapter 2? How does she respond?
2. What is revealed in the envelope that Veronica gives to the protagonist at the Wobbly Bridge?
3. What realization does the protagonist first come to regarding the mentally disabled man in North London?
4. Who is T. J. Gunnell and why does the protagonist meet with him in Chapter 2?
5. What is the second document bequeathed to the protagonist? Why does he seek its ownership?
6. What has Sarah Ford bequeathed to the protagonist in her will?
7. What exchange takes place between the protagonist and Veronica during their second meeting at the brasserie in Chapter 2?
8. What does the protagonist recall about the Severn Bore as he returns from his second meeting with Veronica in Chapter 2?
9. How does the protagonist describe his relationship with Susie in Chapter 2?
10. What commentary does the narrator provide regarding the building of character in Chapter 2?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)