|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poet does the narrator describe in Chapter 2 as having not ever run out of animals?
(a) Ted Hughes.
(b) Robert Frost.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Edgar Allan Poe.
2. What did Veronica's mother take up after the death of her husband?
3. What does the narrator do in the pub while he drinks and awaits the man with the badges in Chapter 2?
(a) Talks to his bartender.
(b) Chats with fellow patrons.
(c) Writes a letter.
(d) A crossword puzzle.
4. What does the narrator describe sending a photocopy of to Mrs. Coyle, Innes and Black in Chapter 2?
(a) His tax returns.
(b) His drivers license.
(c) His passport.
(d) His social security card.
5. What is put under the chicken skin in France to make the dish Chicken in Half-Mourning?
(c) Black truffles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from Chapter 2 means having a tendency to become liquid?
2. The narrator states in Chapter 2 that "the brain does not like being" what (210)?
3. What church does the narrator discover there had never been in Chislehurst in Chapter 2?
4. Where is the brasserie on the third floor of John Lewis located that Veronica chooses to meet the narrator at in Chapter 2?
5. When does the narrator say a person's character peaks in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed in the letter from Sarah Ford to the protagonist in the first document he receives?
2. How does the protagonist express his remorse to Veronica regarding the letter in Chapter 2? How does she respond?
3. How is Adrian's suicide compared to Robson's in the novel?
4. How does Veronica describe her parents' deaths in Chapter 2?
5. Why does Margaret eventually tell the protagonist that he is on his own in Chapter 2?
6. Why does the protagonist surmise that Veronica gave him the letter and met him in person (for their first meeting) in Chapter 2?
7. How does the protagonist perceive his past with Veronica when he first receives the letter regarding Mrs. Ford's inheritance?
8. What are the two types of women that the protagonist recalls Margaret discussing with him in Chapter 2? Which characters fall into these categories?
9. What does the protagonist recall about the Severn Bore as he returns from his second meeting with Veronica in Chapter 2?
10. What memory comes back to the protagonist as he takes the train to meet Veronica at the brasserie for their second meeting in Chapter 2?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)