|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who writes to the narrator from Messrs. Coyle, Innes and Black in Chapter 2?
(a) Rebecca Anderson.
(b) Eleanor Marriott.
(c) Janet Williams.
(d) Anne Collier.
2. Of his personal solicitor, the narrator says in Chapter 2, "He told me that going to the police and trying to persuade them to lay a charge of theft against a woman of mature years who had recently lost her mother would, in his view, be" what (132-133)?
(b) "A terrible idea."
3. From whom is the first letter to Adrian and Veronica that is in the envelope given to the narrator from Veronica in Chapter 2?
(a) From Mrs. Ford.
(b) From the narrator.
(c) From Mr. Ford.
(d) From Alex.
4. What does the narrator describe Mr. Ford trying to get him to drink after dinner on the weekend he visited in Chapter 2?
5. What kind of ring does the narrator describe Veronica wearing on her wedding finger in Chapter 2?
(a) A blue glass ring.
(b) A red glass ring.
(c) A gold ring.
(d) A diamond ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago does the solicitor say Mrs. Ford's will was drawn up in Chapter 2?
2. What apparently led to Adrian's suicide, as revealed in the end of the novel?
3. What word from Chapter 2 refers to resembling a satirical poem that often ends with a turn of thought?
4. What does the narrator switch to drinking while reading the first letter from the envelope from Veronica in Chapter 2?
5. What is one of the main themes/motifs in The Sense of an Ending?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two types of women that the protagonist recalls Margaret discussing with him in Chapter 2? Which characters fall into these categories?
2. What exchange takes place between the protagonist and Veronica during their second meeting at the brasserie in Chapter 2?
3. How does the narrator go about dealing with Veronica during their early exchanges on email? Is he successful using this tactic?
4. Where does the protagonist meet Veronica for their third meeting in Chapter 2? How is this setting described?
5. How does the protagonist perceive his past with Veronica when he first receives the letter regarding Mrs. Ford's inheritance?
6. Why does the protagonist surmise that Veronica gave him the letter and met him in person (for their first meeting) in Chapter 2?
7. What does the protagonist discover about Chislehurst when he googles the setting in Chapter 2?
8. How does Veronica describe her parents' deaths in Chapter 2?
9. What commentary does the narrator provide regarding the building of character in Chapter 2?
10. Who does Veronica point out to the protagonist during their third meeting in Chapter 2? What information does she reveal to the protagonist during this meeting?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)