|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the "two sorts of women" does the narrator assert Margaret to be in Chapter 2 (124)?
2. The narrator states in Chapter 2 that "the brain does not like being" what (210)?
3. Who sang the song "Elusive Butterfly"?
(a) Peter Gabriel.
(b) Bob Lind.
(d) John Lennon.
4. Where does John Ford claim to be located when he contacts the narrator in Chapter 2?
(a) The United States.
5. What kind of car does the narrator drive in Chapter 2?
(a) A Nissan Altima.
(b) A Ford Prius.
(c) A Volkswagen Polo.
(d) A Jeep Wrangler.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was featured on the postcard that the narrator recalls having sent Adrian in Chapter 2?
2. Terry tells the narrator at the pub in Chapter 2 that "Mary" is not Adrian's mother but what?
3. When the narrator meets Margaret for lunch to discuss the letter, he says of her, "Margaret doesn't do" what (192)?
4. The narrator says in Chapter 2, "Like most people, I have superstitions attached to" what (202)?
5. What does the narrator describe Mr. Ford trying to get him to drink after dinner on the weekend he visited in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does T. J. Gunnell give to the protagonist regarding his situation when the protagonist first meets with him in Chapter 2?
2. What does the protagonist conclude about his journey and life in the conclusion of the novel?
3. How does the protagonist describe his relationship with Susie in Chapter 2?
4. What exchange takes place between the protagonist and Veronica during their second meeting at the brasserie in Chapter 2?
5. What is the ultimate truth that the protagonist discovers regarding the mentally disabled man in Chapter 2?
6. What advice does Margaret give to the protagonist when she first meets him for lunch to discuss his situation in Chapter 2?
7. What does the protagonist learn during his first meeting with Veronica at the Wobbly Bridge?
8. What commentary does the narrator provide regarding the building of character in Chapter 2?
9. Why does the protagonist surmise that Veronica gave him the letter and met him in person (for their first meeting) in Chapter 2?
10. Where does the protagonist meet Veronica for their third meeting in Chapter 2? How is this setting described?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)