|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What musical instrument did Adrian play, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
2. What word from Chapter 1 refers to failing to act as a result of moral weakness?
3. How old was Adrian when he committed suicide?
4. What did Adrian request in his suicide letter that the coroner do with his remains?
(a) Have him cremated and scattered.
(b) Have his remains shot to the moon.
(c) Have him buried in his parents' cemetary plot.
(d) Have his body cast into the sea.
5. What color eyes does the narrator describe Veronica having in Chapter 1?
(c) Deep brown.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Colin attend college?
2. What word from Chapter 1 means unsophisticated and socially awkward?
3. The narrator notes in Chapter 1, "I'd read somewhere that if you want to make people pay attention to what you're saying, you" do what (64)?
4. How does the narrator say he and his friends wore their watches in Chapter 1?
5. Phil Dixon once compared a Shakespearean to what actor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe his high school? Where is the school located?
2. Why is the protagonist angered by the fact that Adrian is labeled as mentally disturbed regarding his suicide?
3. What is the protagonist's response to Adrian's letter regarding Veronica in Chapter 1?
4. What is the protagonist's mother's theory regarding Adrian's suicide? How does the protagonist respond to this theory?
5. What philosophical arguments are made regarding the act of suicide among the protagonist and his friends during high school?
6. Who are the "original three" among the narrator's group of friends? How are they described?
7. What differences can be seen between Veronica and the protagonist during their courtship?
8. How is the narrative related in The Sense of an Ending? From whose perspective is the story told? Why?
9. Who informs the protagonist of Adrian's death? How has Adrian died?
10. What is the significance of the memory fragments that are presented by the narrator in the opening of Chapter 1?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)