|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of his friends does the narrator describe as denouncing his family in Chapter 1?
2. How long after the narrator's marriage to Margaret did they have their first child?
(a) Two years later.
(b) Three years later.
(c) One year later.
(d) Four years later.
3. Of what poet did Phil Dixon say "Of course, we're all wondering what will happen when he runs out of animals" (16)?
(a) Robert Frost.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Ted Hughes.
4. How tall does the narrator describe Veronica as in Chapter 1?
5. What monarch's reign did Old Joe Hunt ask his students about on the third day of class, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
(a) Charles II.
(b) Margaret I.
(c) Henry VIII.
(d) Elizabeth I.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Veronica tell the narrator that the only purpose of a woman's period was?
2. Where does the narrator describe walking along and looking at shops with Veronica and his friends in London in Chapter 1?
3. What word in Chapter 1 means behaving in an obsequious way to gain advantage?
4. How does the narrator say he and his friends wore their watches in Chapter 1?
5. What word from Chapter 1 refers to failing to act as a result of moral weakness?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the present tense narrative, what are the protagonist's circumstances as described in the conclusion of Chapter 1?
2. How is Veronica's visit to London described when she goes to meet the protagonist's friends?
3. What is the protagonist's mother's theory regarding Adrian's suicide? How does the protagonist respond to this theory?
4. How is the narrative related in The Sense of an Ending? From whose perspective is the story told? Why?
5. Who informs the protagonist of Adrian's death? How has Adrian died?
6. What led to the protagonist's divorce?
7. Why is the protagonist angered by the fact that Adrian is labeled as mentally disturbed regarding his suicide?
8. Who is the protagonist in The Sense of an Ending? How would you describe this character?
9. How does the narrator describe the meeting with his friends one year after Adrian's suicide?
10. How is Veronica described when the narrator first meets her?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)