|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the notice say that Adrian pinned to the bathroom door before committing suicide (96-97)?
(a) "Do not enter - Call police - Adrian."
(b) "Call for help."
(d) "Call my parents and tell them I am sorry."
2. What does the narrator describe being tossed into a wet sink, causing it to steam in the opening of Chapter 1?
(a) A hot
(b) A hot knife.
(c) A hot frying pan.
(d) A hot iron.
3. The narrator points out in Chapter 1 that "what you end up remembering isn't always" what (10)?
(a) "The truth."
(b) "What happened."
(c) "The same as what you have witnessed."
(d) "What others end up remembering."
4. How does the narrator describe Old Joe Hunt in Chapter 1?
(a) Wryly affable.
(c) Hateful and mean.
5. What is the river that runs upstream lit by, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attended Adrian's funeral?
2. The narrator suggests in Chapter 1 that "it takes only the smallest pleasure or pain to teach us" what (11)?
3. Of what poet did Phil Dixon say "Of course, we're all wondering what will happen when he runs out of animals" (16)?
4. The narrator questions in Chapter 1 whether there is "anything more plausible than" what (11)?
5. Why did Adrian write to the narrator during his senior year of college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the "original three" among the narrator's group of friends? How are they described?
2. Who is the protagonist in The Sense of an Ending? How would you describe this character?
3. How does the narrator describe the meeting with his friends one year after Adrian's suicide?
4. Whom did the protagonist marry? How does he describe the early years of their marriage?
5. How is Veronica described when the narrator first meets her?
6. Who commits suicide during the ptrotagonist's high school years? Why?
7. Who is Old Joe Hunt and what role does he play in the narrative?
8. How does the dynamic of the narrator's group of friend's change with the introduction of Adrian?
9. Where does the protagonist go after completing college? How does he describe his experiences there?
10. What is the protagonist's response to Adrian's letter regarding Veronica in Chapter 1?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)