|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In discussing modern dating, the narrator says in Chapter 1, "This made me feel like a survivor from some antique, bypassed culture whose members were still using" what "as a form of monetary exchange" (45)?
2. With whom was Adrian presumably in love when he committed suicide?
3. What does the narrator describe as Veronica's "comfort book" in Chapter 1 (49)?
(b) To Have and Have Not.
(c) I Capture the Castle.
(d) Tomorrow Never Comes.
4. How does the narrator say he and his friends wore their watches in Chapter 1?
(a) With the face on the inside of the wrist.
(b) On their right wrists.
(c) On their left wrists.
(d) With the clock facing upside down.
5. What does the narrator describe Old Joe Hunt always wearing in Chapter 1?
(a) A three-piece suit.
(b) A striped sweater and slacks.
(c) A coat jacket and jeans.
(d) A baseball cap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from Chapter 1 refers to failing to act as a result of moral weakness?
2. How did Adrian commit suicide?
3. What did the notice say that Adrian pinned to the bathroom door before committing suicide (96-97)?
4. Who attended Adrian's funeral?
5. Who does the narrator describe as making "philosophical objections to the perceived nature of reality" in Chapter 1 (18)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the protagonist's impressions of the Ford family when he meets them?
2. Who is Old Joe Hunt and what role does he play in the narrative?
3. Where does the protagonist go after completing college? How does he describe his experiences there?
4. Who is the protagonist in The Sense of an Ending? How would you describe this character?
5. What exchange takes place between the protagonist and Mrs. Ford when they are alone during breakfast when he visits?
6. What philosophical arguments are made regarding the act of suicide among the protagonist and his friends during high school?
7. What differences can be seen between Veronica and the protagonist during their courtship?
8. Whom did the protagonist marry? How does he describe the early years of their marriage?
9. What information is revealed regarding the contents of Adrian's suicide letter?
10. How does the dynamic of the narrator's group of friend's change with the introduction of Adrian?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)