|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long ago does the solicitor say Mrs. Ford's will was drawn up in Chapter 2?
(a) Five years ago.
(b) Twenty years ago.
(c) Six years ago.
(d) Two years ago.
2. What church does the narrator discover there had never been in Chislehurst in Chapter 2?
(a) St. Jude's.
(b) St. Mary's.
(c) St. Michael's.
(d) St. Andrew's.
3. What does Veronica remark about the narrator's appearance when they meet at the Wobbly Bridge in Chapter 2?
(a) He has gotten fat.
(b) He has lost weight.
(c) He still looks young.
(d) He has gone bald.
4. Of the letter, the narrator says in Chapter 2, "And no, it wasn't shame I now felt, or guilt, but something rarer in my life and stronger than both" (187). What does the narrator describe feeling?
5. Who is the author of the book that Veronica is reading at the brasserie when the narrator meets her in Chapter 2?
(a) Peter Dixon.
(b) Samuel Beckett.
(c) Stefan Zweig.
(d) James Joyce.
6. In comparing himself to Adrian, the narrator notes in Chapter 2 that Adrian used logic whereas the narrator used what?
(a) Common sense.
7. What was featured on the postcard that the narrator recalls having sent Adrian in Chapter 2?
(a) The Empire State Building.
(b) The Alps.
(c) The Wobbly Bridge.
(d) The Clifton Suspension Bridge.
8. On what day of the week does the narrator go to the pub in North London to try to find the man with the badges in Chapter 2?
9. Of England, the narrator says in Chapter 2, "...in this country shadings of class resist time longer than" what (138)?
(a) "Differentials in age."
(b) "Popular culture."
(c) "Decades of reason."
(d) "Political agendas."
10. What word from Chapter 2 refers to the act of writing in an unrestrained and heartfelt way?
11. What contact information does the narrator receive for John Ford from Mrs. Marriott in Chapter 2?
(a) His P.O. Box.
(b) His email address.
(c) His street address.
(d) His phone number.
12. What is put under the chicken skin in France to make the dish Chicken in Half-Mourning?
(d) Black truffles.
13. What does Mrs. Marriott tell the narrator his other document is when he calls in Chapter 2?
(a) A diary.
(b) A tax return.
(c) A book of poetry.
(d) A novel.
14. How long after the narrator writes to him does John Ford respond in Chapter 2?
(a) 5 days later.
(b) 12 days later.
(c) 10 days later.
(d) 2 weeks later.
15. Which of the "two sorts of women" does the narrator assert Margaret to be in Chapter 2 (124)?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator asserts in Chapter 2 that "it ought to be obvious to us that time doesn't act as a fixative, rather as a" what (119)?
2. Who writes to the narrator from Messrs. Coyle, Innes and Black in Chapter 2?
3. To what band does the narrator recall dancing with Veronica in his room in Chapter 2?
4. In the conclusion of the novel, the narrator says, "There is accumulation. There is responsibility. And beyond these, there is" what (281)?
5. What is the name of the narrator's personal solicitor?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)