|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Margaret refer to Veronica as when she meets the narrator for lunch to discuss the matter in Chapter 2?
(a) "The Debacle."
(b) "The Debutante."
(c) "The Fruitcake."
(d) "The Witch."
2. What does Veronica remark about the narrator's appearance when they meet at the Wobbly Bridge in Chapter 2?
(a) He still looks young.
(b) He has lost weight.
(c) He has gone bald.
(d) He has gotten fat.
3. Who sang the song "Elusive Butterfly"?
(a) Peter Gabriel.
(c) Bob Lind.
(d) John Lennon.
4. What is the narrator's last name?
5. Where does John Ford claim to be located when he contacts the narrator in Chapter 2?
(d) The United States.
6. Terry tells the narrator at the pub in Chapter 2 that "Mary" is not Adrian's mother but what?
(a) His friend.
(b) His sister.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His grandmother.
7. Where did Veronica's mother move after her husband died?
(a) To Paris.
(b) To London.
(c) To the United States.
(d) To Newbury.
8. What two locations are linked by the Wobbly Bridge?
(a) Hyde Park and Oxford Square.
(b) Chislehurst and London.
(c) Whitecastle and Newbury.
(d) St. Paul's and Tate Modern.
9. What is the name of the song by the punk rock band led by a friend of the narrator's in Chapter 2?
(a) "Down with Society."
(c) "Every Day is Sunday."
(d) "Tomorrow Never Comes."
10. Where does the narrator describe going in quest of the Severn Bore in Chapter 2?
(b) The Thames.
11. What composer does the narrator say "has gone the way of those geniuses who fascinate in youth, retain a residual power in middle age, but later seem, if not embarrassing, somehow less relevant" in Chapter 2 (115)?
12. What word from Chapter 2 means sulky or bad-tempered?
13. What does the narrator wish Veronica had done with the letter he reads from the envelope she has given him in Chapter 2?
(a) Burned it.
(b) Given it to Mrs. Ford.
(c) Kept it.
(d) Given it to Adrian.
14. The narrator says in Chapter 2 that "all the time [he] was going out with Veronica, [he] found her many things--alluring, mysterious, disapproving--but never" what (260)?
15. Of England, the narrator says in Chapter 2, "...in this country shadings of class resist time longer than" what (138)?
(a) "Decades of reason."
(b) "Popular culture."
(c) "Political agendas."
(d) "Differentials in age."
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Veronica's father die from?
2. Of what quality does the narrator say he did not normally believe he had suffered, but had clearly been more afflicted than he realized after his third meeting with Veronica?
3. What was Mrs. Ford's first name?
4. The narrator says in Chapter 2, "Like most people, I have superstitions attached to" what (202)?
5. What river does the Wobbly Bridge cross?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)