|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator describe going in quest of the Severn Bore in Chapter 2?
(b) The Thames.
2. Which of the "two sorts of women" does the narrator assert Margaret to be in Chapter 2 (124)?
3. How long ago does the solicitor say Mrs. Ford's will was drawn up in Chapter 2?
(a) Two years ago.
(b) Twenty years ago.
(c) Five years ago.
(d) Six years ago.
4. What does the narrator say he had been "ever since [he] left school" in Chapter 2 (188)?
5. In the conclusion of the novel, the narrator says, "There is accumulation. There is responsibility. And beyond these, there is" what (281)?
6. Of England, the narrator says in Chapter 2, "...in this country shadings of class resist time longer than" what (138)?
(a) "Political agendas."
(b) "Popular culture."
(c) "Decades of reason."
(d) "Differentials in age."
7. Who writes to the narrator from Messrs. Coyle, Innes and Black in Chapter 2?
(a) Rebecca Anderson.
(b) Anne Collier.
(c) Eleanor Marriott.
(d) Janet Williams.
8. For about how long does the narrator say he dated Veronica in Chapter 2?
(a) One year.
(b) Four years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Two years.
9. The author says in Chapter 2 that "there's no fool like" what (246)?
(a) "A fool in love."
(b) "A fool headed to slaughter."
(c) "An old fool."
(d) "A young fool."
10. The narrator compares character to what in Chapter 2, saying that the difference is that character peaks a little later?
11. How much money did Mrs. Ford leave to the narrator in her will?
(a) 1,000 pounds.
(b) 100 pounds.
(c) 200 pounds.
(d) 500 pounds.
12. What poet is the author alluding to in Chapter 2 when he refers to "the road less travelled" (246)?
(a) Robert Frost.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Samuel Beckett.
(d) William Winston.
13. When the narrator had said to Joe Hunt that "history was the lies of the victors," he had replied by saying, "As long as you remember that it is also the self-delusions of" whom (230)?
(a) "The narcissists."
(b) "The wary."
(c) "The history recorders."
(d) "The defeated."
14. About how many years has it been since the narrator visited the Ford family when the narrator receives the notice of Mrs. Ford's will in Chapter 2?
(a) 50 years.
(b) 40 years.
(c) 45 years.
(d) 30 years.
15. What is one of the main themes/motifs in The Sense of an Ending?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Chapter 2 that "all the time [he] was going out with Veronica, [he] found her many things--alluring, mysterious, disapproving--but never" what (260)?
2. When the narrator meets Margaret for lunch to discuss the letter, he says of her, "Margaret doesn't do" what (192)?
3. What does Mrs. Marriott tell the narrator his other document is when he calls in Chapter 2?
4. What does the narrator order for dinner on the second night that he goes to the pub in North London in Chapter 2?
5. What river does the Wobbly Bridge cross?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)