|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator describes a survey of British drivers in which what percent of those polled thought they were better than average drivers?
2. What consisted of Robson's suicide letter (265)?
(a) "Sorry, Mum."
(b) "I love you."
(c) "I can't go on."
(d) "Please forgive me."
3. What does the narrator switch to drinking while reading the first letter from the envelope from Veronica in Chapter 2?
4. Who has the second document left to the narrator by Mrs. Ford, according to Mrs. Marriott in Chapter 2?
5. Why does Veronica tell the narrator she cannot give him Adrian's diary when they meet at the Wobbly Bridge in Chapter 2?
(a) Because she can't bear to part with it.
(b) Because she burned it.
(c) Because she threw it in the river.
(d) Because she gave it away.
6. What is Veronica's response when the narrator says, "Well, your turn next" during their meeting at the brasserie in Chapter 2 (219)?
(a) "Okay I'll go."
(b) "Go home, Tony."
(c) "I'm not telling you anything."
(d) "Turn for what?"
7. Who is the author of the book that Veronica is reading at the brasserie when the narrator meets her in Chapter 2?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Stefan Zweig.
(c) Samuel Beckett.
(d) Peter Dixon.
8. What word from Chapter 2 refers to meditations or pedantic writings?
9. What is the name of the pub in North London that the narrator begins frequenting in Chapter 2?
(a) The White Horse.
(b) The Henry VIII.
(c) The Elizabeth I.
(d) The William IV.
10. For how long does Veronica say her father has been dead when she responds to the narrator's query about him in Chapter 2?
(a) About 20 years.
(b) Over 35 years.
(c) About 10 years.
(d) Over 40 years.
11. From whom is the first letter to Adrian and Veronica that is in the envelope given to the narrator from Veronica in Chapter 2?
(a) From Mr. Ford.
(b) From Mrs. Ford.
(c) From Alex.
(d) From the narrator.
12. How old does the narrator say Susie is in Chapter 2?
13. What was Mrs. Ford's first name?
14. What word from Chapter 2 refers to resembling a satirical poem that often ends with a turn of thought?
15. What word from Chapter 2 means having a tendency to become liquid?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 2, the narrator describes a line that Adrian used to quote. "History is that certainty produced at the point where the imperfections of memory meet the inadequacies of" what (113)?
2. What kind of car does the narrator drive in Chapter 2?
3. About how many years has it been since the narrator visited the Ford family when the narrator receives the notice of Mrs. Ford's will in Chapter 2?
4. What does the narrator describe sending a photocopy of to Mrs. Coyle, Innes and Black in Chapter 2?
5. What word from Chapter 2 refers to an inscription on a tomb in memory of the one buried there?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)