|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator switch to drinking while reading the first letter from the envelope from Veronica in Chapter 2?
2. What is one of the main themes/motifs in The Sense of an Ending?
3. Which of the "two sorts of women" does the narrator assert Margaret to be in Chapter 2 (124)?
4. How long ago does the solicitor say Mrs. Ford's will was drawn up in Chapter 2?
(a) Five years ago.
(b) Six years ago.
(c) Twenty years ago.
(d) Two years ago.
5. For how long does Veronica say her father has been dead when she responds to the narrator's query about him in Chapter 2?
(a) Over 35 years.
(b) About 20 years.
(c) About 10 years.
(d) Over 40 years.
6. What does Veronica remark about the narrator's appearance when they meet at the Wobbly Bridge in Chapter 2?
(a) He has gone bald.
(b) He still looks young.
(c) He has lost weight.
(d) He has gotten fat.
7. On what day of the week does the narrator go to the pub in North London to try to find the man with the badges in Chapter 2?
8. The narrator compares character to what in Chapter 2, saying that the difference is that character peaks a little later?
9. What word from Chapter 2 means having a tendency to become liquid?
10. For about how long does the narrator say he dated Veronica in Chapter 2?
(a) Three years.
(b) Four years.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
11. What word from Chapter 2 means sulky or bad-tempered?
12. What is the name of the pub in North London that the narrator begins frequenting in Chapter 2?
(a) The William IV.
(b) The Elizabeth I.
(c) The White Horse.
(d) The Henry VIII.
13. To what band does the narrator recall dancing with Veronica in his room in Chapter 2?
(a) The Moody Blues.
(b) The Who.
(d) The Beatles.
14. Who sang the song "Elusive Butterfly"?
(a) Peter Gabriel.
(c) John Lennon.
(d) Bob Lind.
15. What does the narrator order for dinner on the second night that he goes to the pub in North London in Chapter 2?
(a) A burger and french fries.
(b) Penne with gorgonzola and walnut sauce.
(c) A slice of pizza.
(d) Chargilled hake with chips.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Veronica tell the narrator she cannot give him Adrian's diary when they meet at the Wobbly Bridge in Chapter 2?
2. When the narrator had said to Joe Hunt that "history was the lies of the victors," he had replied by saying, "As long as you remember that it is also the self-delusions of" whom (230)?
3. What river does the Wobbly Bridge cross?
4. Of his personal solicitor, the narrator says in Chapter 2, "He told me that going to the police and trying to persuade them to lay a charge of theft against a woman of mature years who had recently lost her mother would, in his view, be" what (132-133)?
5. Terry tells the narrator at the pub in Chapter 2 that "Mary" is not Adrian's mother but what?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)