|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In discussing modern dating, the narrator says in Chapter 1, "This made me feel like a survivor from some antique, bypassed culture whose members were still using" what "as a form of monetary exchange" (45)?
2. What is the river that runs upstream lit by, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
3. The narrator questions in Chapter 1 whether there is "anything more plausible than" what (11)?
(a) "A raised voice."
(b) "A second hand."
(c) "A memory."
(d) "A philosophical query."
4. The narrator says in Chapter 1 after Adrian's death that "in the law's view, if you killed yourself you were by definition" what (97)?
(c) "A lawbreaker."
(d) "An outlaw."
5. During what decade did the narrator attend college?
(a) The 1950s.
(b) The 1960s.
(c) The 1980s.
(d) The 1970s.
6. What word in Chapter 1 means behaving in an obsequious way to gain advantage?
7. Of Adrian, the narrator states in Chapter 1, "We would remember him all our lives, of course. But his death was exemplary rather than" what (105)?
(b) "An act of desperation."
8. The narrator states in Chapter 1, "Adrian might attract people, but he never behaved as if he wanted" what?
9. The narrator suggests in Chapter 1 that "it takes only the smallest pleasure or pain to teach us" what (11)?
(a) "How to love."
(b) "Time's maleability."
(c) "What life is about."
10. What word from Chapter 1 refers to the action of clearing blame of someone?
11. The narrator told Alex that he wondered if who felt any responsibility for Adrian's suicide in Chapter 1?
(a) His philosophy tutors.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
12. The narrator says in Chapter 1 that he and his friends assured one another that the imagination's first duty was to be what?
13. What word from Chapter 1 means unsophisticated and socially awkward?
14. How much older is Veronica than the narrator?
(a) 1 year older.
(b) 8 months older.
(c) 5 months older.
(d) 2 years older.
15. How long after the narrator's marriage to Margaret did she take up with a fellow who ran a restaurant?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 12 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phil Dixon related to his class that T. S. Eliot claimed it is all about what, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
2. Where did Veronica depart to when she left after visiting the narrator and his friends in London in Chapter 1?
3. How many siblings does the narrator describe Adrian as having in Chapter 1?
4. What does the narrator describe having for Sunday lunch at Veronica's parents' home in Chapter 1?
5. Where does the narrator say that Phil Dixon came down from in order to teach his English class in Chapter 1?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)