|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator's mother attribute as the reason that Adrian killed himself?
(a) He was depressive.
(b) He was struggling in school.
(c) He impregnated his girlfriend.
(d) He was too clever.
2. What does the narrator describe as Veronica's "comfort book" in Chapter 1 (49)?
(a) To Have and Have Not.
(b) I Capture the Castle.
(d) Tomorrow Never Comes.
3. What is Susan's husband's profession?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a doctor.
(c) He is a banker.
(d) He is a baker.
4. Where did the narrator attend college?
5. What periodical ran the headline after Adrian's death that was titled "Tragic Death of 'Promising' Young Man" (97)?
(a) The Oxford Evening News.
(b) The Cambridge Evening News.
(c) The London Daily Times.
(d) The London Metro.
6. Of what poet did Phil Dixon say "Of course, we're all wondering what will happen when he runs out of animals" (16)?
(a) Robert Frost.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Edgar Allan Poe.
7. What was Veronica's father's profession when the narrator met her?
(a) He was a civil servant.
(b) He was a butcher.
(c) He was an accountant.
(d) He was a teacher.
8. During what decade did the narrator attend college?
(a) The 1980s.
(b) The 1970s.
(c) The 1960s.
(d) The 1950s.
9. Where did Veronica depart to when she left after visiting the narrator and his friends in London in Chapter 1?
(b) North London.
10. The narrator says in Chapter 1 after Adrian's death that "in the law's view, if you killed yourself you were by definition" what (97)?
(b) "A lawbreaker."
(d) "An outlaw."
11. Where did the narrator go to meet his friend to discuss Adrian's suicide after he arrived home?
(a) The Charing X Hotel.
(b) The Marriott Hotel.
(c) The Four Seasons Hotel.
(d) The Windsor Hotel.
12. What is Veronica's last name?
13. What composers did Veronica hate?
(a) Bach and Chopin.
(b) Chopin and Pachelbel.
(c) Tchaikovsky and Dvorak.
(d) Bach and Beethoven.
14. What is the river that runs upstream lit by, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
15. Where does the narrator describe walking along and looking at shops with Veronica and his friends in London in Chapter 1?
(a) Laxon Street.
(b) Overford Street.
(c) Oxford Street.
(d) Kent Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator describe as making "philosophical objections to the perceived nature of reality" in Chapter 1 (18)?
2. What does QED stand for?
3. Which of his friends does the narrator describe as denouncing his family in Chapter 1?
4. What color eyes does the narrator describe Veronica having in Chapter 1?
5. In what field did Alex tell Veronica his father was in business in Chapter 1?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)