|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long after the narrator's marriage to Margaret did she take up with a fellow who ran a restaurant?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 12 years.
2. How tall does the narrator describe Veronica as in Chapter 1?
3. What color eyes does the narrator describe Veronica having in Chapter 1?
(c) Deep brown.
4. What is the name of the two-disc boxed set by Donovan that the narrator describes having owned in college in Chapter 1?
(a) What's Bin Di and What's Bin Hid.
(b) Cosmic Wheels.
(d) A Gift from a Flower to a Garden.
5. What composers did Veronica hate?
(a) Chopin and Pachelbel.
(b) Tchaikovsky and Dvorak.
(c) Bach and Chopin.
(d) Bach and Beethoven.
6. Why did Adrian write to the narrator during his senior year of college?
(a) To ask for permission to date Veronica.
(b) To tell him he was committing suicide.
(c) To tell him he was quitting school.
(d) To ask him to come on vacation wih him.
7. What are Veronica's two middle names?
(a) Mary Anderson.
(b) Anne Elizabeth.
(c) Sarah Michelle.
(d) Mary Elizabeth.
8. What is Susan's husband's profession?
(a) He is a doctor.
(b) He is a teacher.
(c) He is a baker.
(d) He is a banker.
9. Who does the narrator describe as making "philosophical objections to the perceived nature of reality" in Chapter 1 (18)?
10. The narrator says in Chapter 1 that he and his friends assured one another that the imagination's first duty was to be what?
11. Who does the narrator describe as the one who mocked the political system in Chapter 1?
12. Who did the narrator's father blame when he found the narrator reading The Communist Manifesto?
13. When did Alex say he had seen Adrian when meeting with the narrator to discuss his suicide in Chapter 1?
(a) Two months ago.
(b) Three weeks ago.
(c) One month ago.
(d) Three months ago.
14. Into what field did the narrator begin training after he left college?
(a) Stock brokerage.
(b) International trade.
(c) Arts administration.
15. Phil Dixon related to his class that T. S. Eliot claimed it is all about what, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
(a) The decision to commit suicide or not.
(b) What one leaves as a legacy.
(c) Life and death.
(d) Birth, copulation, and death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the narrator go to meet his friend to discuss Adrian's suicide after he arrived home?
2. Where did Colin attend college?
3. From what material does the narrator describe Veronica's parents home constructed?
4. What does the narrator say he does now at the local hospital in the conclusion of Chapter 1?
5. Who among his group of friends does the narrator say everyone wrote the most to during college and wanted his approval?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)