|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the City Match Consultant that called the narrator about his application with Dickens?
2. When was the movie set for The Ten Commandments buried under the Nipomo Dunes?
3. Who was the founder of Portland, Oregon?
4. Where is Charisma Molina an assistant principal?
5. What is the name of Marpessa's younger brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marpessa demonstrate on Career Day at the Chaff Middle School?
2. Where does the narrator describe his father taking him in order to show him that racism still exists?
3. What is "Whitey Week" and how is it defined in Chapter 20?
4. What actions does the narrator describe taking with Hominy in order to restore segregation in Dickens in Chapter 20?
5. How does the narrator respond to the autographed book he receives in Chapter 19? What is the book?
6. What emotional disorder does the narrator tell the court he likely has?
7. How does the narrator respond to Hominy's suggestions for new class systems in Dickens in Chapter 18?
8. Why do the neighborhood children gather in the narrator's yard in Chapter 15?
9. Why have the three cities that Dickens matched with refused to be sister cities?
10. Who is Jon McJones and where does the narrator encounter him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of community as an essential component of identity in The Sellout. In what ways do the inhabitants of Dickens come together in the course of the story? What brings them together? How are their identities shaped by the re-establishment of Dickens?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Charisma Molina in the novel. How does Charisma know the narrator? What is her profession? How is Charisma involved in the central plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events on Career Day at the Chaff Middle School. What does Marpessa demonstrate for the students? What does the narrator's demonstration consist of? How does the day conclude?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)