|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the long-lost city of Dollersheim located?
2. What city is described as "the City That Never Stops Bleeding" by the narrator in "City Lites, An Interlude"?
3. Who is the student that volunteered to help the narrator castrate a calf on Career Day?
4. At what time each day on Monday through Friday would Hominy appear by the narrator's truck to segregate Dickens in Chapter 20?
5. What adjective from Chapter 16 means wicked or criminal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Wheaton Academy and what role does it play in the plot of The Sellout?
2. Who are the three famous living African Americans that attend the meeting in Chapter 19? How are their identities revealed?
3. Why does the narrator say he was reluctant to segregate the hospital in Chapter 20?
4. Why have the three cities that Dickens matched with refused to be sister cities?
5. Where does the narrator describe his father taking him in order to show him that racism still exists?
6. Whom did Marpessa marry after leaving the narrator? How has her life changed?
7. How does the narrator respond to the autographed book he receives in Chapter 19? What is the book?
8. What does the narrator demonstrate on Career Day at the Chaff Middle School?
9. What emotional disorder does the narrator tell the court he likely has?
10. How is the narrator's satsuma tree employed as a symbol in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Foy Cheshire in The Sellout. How would you describe Foy's relationship with the protagonist? What are Foy's actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story? What becomes of Foy in the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of symbolism and imagery in The Sellout. What are predominant symbols that reappear in the narrative? What does each represent? How does the author employ similes and metaphors? What are the effects of these examples?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Hominy Jenkins in the novel. How old is Hominy? What aspects of Hominy's past is demonstrated through his behavior? What are Hominy's actions, objectives, and obstacles in the novel?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)