|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the narrator's father flee to Canada?
2. What does the narrator say the best apples taste like in Chapter 18?
3. In the narrator's fantasy in Chapter 17, who does he describe telling Marpessa, "When you see Bonbon, the Cosmic Sellout and your one true love, cast down your panties where you are" (209)?
4. What adjective from Chapter 16 means wicked or criminal?
5. At what time each day on Monday through Friday would Hominy appear by the narrator's truck to segregate Dickens in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the apple tree symbolize in Chapter 18?
2. How is the narrator's satsuma tree employed as a symbol in the novel?
3. What actions does the narrator describe taking with Hominy in order to restore segregation in Dickens in Chapter 20?
4. How does the narrator respond to Hominy's suggestions for new class systems in Dickens in Chapter 18?
5. Why does the narrator say he was reluctant to segregate the hospital in Chapter 20?
6. Who is Charisma Molina and what is her profession?
7. What emotional disorder does the narrator tell the court he likely has?
8. How does Foy Cheshire respond to the signs announcing the establishment of Wheaton Academy?
9. How does the narrator respond to the autographed book he receives in Chapter 19? What is the book?
10. What does the narrator demonstrate on Career Day at the Chaff Middle School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of F. K. Me in The Sellout. What is this character's profession? How is his relationship with his son depicted? Do you think this character is portrayed as a protagonist or antagonist? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Dickens, California. Where is the long-lost City of Dickens located? Why was the city "deleted"? Where are the boundaries of the city and what is its proximity to other locations described in the greater Los Angeles area?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depictions of white Americans in The Sellout. How are whites perceived by the inhabitants of Dickens? In what ways do the actions of the narrator and Hominy satirize white American history and culture?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)