|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator asserts in Chapter 18 that "the university apple orchards in Geneva, New York, are to the black market apple trade what Medellin, Columbia, is to" what (212)?
2. Who directed the film The Ten Commandments?
3. What is referred to by the narrator as "a presigious oceanfront private 'learning fulcrum'" in Chapter 12 (170)?
4. The narrator describes his "usual postcoital position" as "rolled up into a ball like" what, in Chapter 17 (202)?
5. What is described as the sister city to Tel Aviv in "City Lites, An Interlude"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "Whitey Week" and how is it defined in Chapter 20?
2. How is the narrator's satsuma tree employed as a symbol in the novel?
3. What does the narrator demonstrate on Career Day at the Chaff Middle School?
4. What is Wheaton Academy and what role does it play in the plot of The Sellout?
5. How did the narrator's father attempt to demonstrate racism to him backfire in Chapter 13?
6. What are the three lost cities that the narrator dictates to be sister cities to Dickens?
7. How does the narrator define sister cities in "City Lites: An Interlude"?
8. What does Marpessa demonstrate on Career Day at the Chaff Middle School?
9. Why have the three cities that Dickens matched with refused to be sister cities?
10. What actions does the narrator describe taking with Hominy in order to restore segregation in Dickens in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss depictions of racism in popular entertainment in The Sellout. What television shows, films, commercials, etc. are referenced or alluded to by the narrator? What racism or racist attitudes are described in these examples?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Dickens, California. Where is the long-lost City of Dickens located? Why was the city "deleted"? Where are the boundaries of the city and what is its proximity to other locations described in the greater Los Angeles area?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events on Career Day at the Chaff Middle School. What does Marpessa demonstrate for the students? What does the narrator's demonstration consist of? How does the day conclude?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)