|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the hairstyles of the Justices when they enter the courtroom in the Prologue (19)?
2. What does the narrator claim is the "calling card of the Chickasaw nation" (10)?
3. Whom does the narrator describe in Chapter 1 as "the bitch next door and my only true love" during his childhood?
4. Where does the narrator say his car is parked in the Prologue?
5. For what musician does the narrator claim to have a strange affinity in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Hominy's work on the farm in Chapter 6?
2. How does the narrator encounter Marpessa in Chapter 9? What emerges in their meeting?
3. How did the narrator's father die?
4. What does the narrator remark about mottos in the Prologue?
5. How is the narrative related in The Sellout? From what perspective is the story told?
6. How is the character of King Cuz described?
7. When and where do the Dum Dum Donut Intellectuals meet?
8. What is the definition of satire and how does satire apply to The Sellout?
9. How is Hominy Jenkins described by the narrator?
10. What happened when the narrator's father attempted an experiment on bystander syndrome when the narrator was a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the death of the narrator's father and its impact on the narrator. How did the narrator's father die? Where did he die? How did the narrator discover him? How did he react?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the narrator seek out a "sister city" for Dickens? What are the results he receives? What three lost cities does the narrator resort to using as sister cities to Dickens?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of F. K. Me in The Sellout. What is this character's profession? How is his relationship with his son depicted? Do you think this character is portrayed as a protagonist or antagonist? Why?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)