|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states in Chapter 7 that "One of the many sad ironies of African-American life is that every banal dysfunctional social gathering is called" what (93-94)?
2. What is the name of the social psychology bible that the narrator's father took with him to talk down folks in his town?
3. Who does the narrator refer to as the "Mother of the Modern-Day Civil Rights Movement" in Chapter 10 (127)?
4. What does the narrator lay out the three basic laws of in the opening of Chapter 3?
5. The narrator describes the black Justice as looking at him with "that crazy, red-eyed penetrating look that back home we call" what (22)?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of King Cuz described?
2. How does the narrator describe Hominy's birthday celebration?
3. How does the narrator encounter Marpessa in Chapter 9? What emerges in their meeting?
4. What happened on the occasions where the narrator attempted to emancipate Hominy?
5. How did the community respond when the narrator began his process of marking the boundaries of Dickens?
6. How is the narrative related in The Sellout? From what perspective is the story told?
7. When and where do the Dum Dum Donut Intellectuals meet?
8. How did the narrator's father die?
9. What happened when the narrator's father attempted an experiment on bystander syndrome when the narrator was a child?
10. How is Hominy Jenkins described by the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Hominy Jenkins in the novel. How old is Hominy? What aspects of Hominy's past is demonstrated through his behavior? What are Hominy's actions, objectives, and obstacles in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Foy Cheshire in The Sellout. How would you describe Foy's relationship with the protagonist? What are Foy's actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story? What becomes of Foy in the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the death of the narrator's father and its impact on the narrator. How did the narrator's father die? Where did he die? How did the narrator discover him? How did he react?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)