|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city is described as "the City That Never Stops Bleeding" by the narrator in "City Lites, An Interlude"?
2. What is described as the sister city to Algiers in "City Lites, An Interlude"?
3. When was the movie set for The Ten Commandments buried under the Nipomo Dunes?
4. Where did the narrator's father take him in order to expose him to racism in Chapter 13?
5. Why did the narrator's father flee to Canada?
(a) To marry a white woman.
(b) To escape slavery.
(c) To dodge the draft.
(d) To attain free healthcare.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the student that volunteered to help the narrator castrate a calf on Career Day?
2. Who is the City Match Consultant that called the narrator about his application with Dickens?
3. What verb in Chapter 19 means to dispute the truth, validity, or honesty of a statement or thing?
4. What did Marpessa throw at Foy Cheshire, according to the narrator in Chapter 17?
5. What is referred to by the narrator as "a presigious oceanfront private 'learning fulcrum'" in Chapter 12 (170)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions does the narrator describe taking with Hominy in order to restore segregation in Dickens in Chapter 20?
2. How does Foy Cheshire respond to the signs announcing the establishment of Wheaton Academy?
3. Who are the three famous living African Americans that attend the meeting in Chapter 19? How are their identities revealed?
4. What is Wheaton Academy and what role does it play in the plot of The Sellout?
5. What does the apple tree symbolize in Chapter 18?
6. How did the narrator's father attempt to demonstrate racism to him backfire in Chapter 13?
7. What emotional disorder does the narrator tell the court he likely has?
8. Where does the narrator describe his father taking him in order to show him that racism still exists?
9. What does the narrator demonstrate on Career Day at the Chaff Middle School?
10. Why does the narrator say he was reluctant to segregate the hospital in Chapter 20?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)