|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times does the narrator say he has experienced direct discrimination based on race in Chapter 13?
(a) Five times.
(b) Three times.
2. What did Marpessa throw at Foy Cheshire, according to the narrator in Chapter 17?
(a) An apple.
(b) A knife.
(c) An orange.
(d) A rock.
3. What was the latest of Foy Cheshire's novel adaptations that he passed around at the Dum Dum Donut Intellectuals meeting in Chapter 19?
(a) The Mob Gang.
(b) The Dopeman Cometh.
(c) The Adventures of Tom Soarer.
(d) The Cat and the Cancer.
4. What word from Chapter 15 means cheerful and full of energy?
5. What latest public-access show of Foy Cheshire's had just been cancelled in Chapter 19?
(a) Black Stand.
(b) Black Talk.
(c) Black Checker.
(d) Black Republic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word in Chapter 18 is a chiefly South African word that is an insulting and contemptuous term for a black African?
2. Because of Marpessa's schedule and her kids, she and the narrator could only date on what nights of the week when they rekindled their flame in Chapter 17?
3. Why did the narrator's father flee to Canada?
4. What month was it that the narrator was trying to grow potatoes in Chapter 18?
5. What day was it that the narrator set out to go to Dum Dum's in the end of Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Foy Cheshire respond to the signs announcing the establishment of Wheaton Academy?
2. How does the narrator respond to the autographed book he receives in Chapter 19? What is the book?
3. What is "Whitey Week" and how is it defined in Chapter 20?
4. Who is Charisma Molina and what is her profession?
5. Why have the three cities that Dickens matched with refused to be sister cities?
6. What actions does the narrator describe taking with Hominy in order to restore segregation in Dickens in Chapter 20?
7. What is Wheaton Academy and what role does it play in the plot of The Sellout?
8. How is the narrator's satsuma tree employed as a symbol in the novel?
9. Why does the narrator say he was reluctant to segregate the hospital in Chapter 20?
10. Who is Jon McJones and where does the narrator encounter him?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)