|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word in Chapter 19 refers to a thick stick of blackthorn or oak used in Ireland as a weapon?
2. What word from the novel refers to the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, particularly by giving them jobs?
3. In the narrator's fantasy in Chapter 17, who does he describe telling Marpessa, "When you see Bonbon, the Cosmic Sellout and your one true love, cast down your panties where you are" (209)?
(a) Rosa Parks.
(b) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(c) Booker T. Washington.
(d) Malcolm X.
4. What did Foy Cheshire retitle The Great Gatsby as?
(a) The Great Blacksby.
(b) The Great Contraption.
(c) The Great Emancipation.
(d) The Great Gary.
5. What latest public-access show of Foy Cheshire's had just been cancelled in Chapter 19?
(a) Black Checker.
(b) Black Republic.
(c) Black Talk.
(d) Black Stand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the long-lost city of Dollersheim located?
2. What did Foy Cheshire reassign as the name of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
3. Who is the only white teacher at the middle school where the narrator demonstrated castrating a calf?
4. When did the Northridge quake occur that collapsed the roof of the school auditorium where the narrator demonstrated castrating a calf?
5. What is described as the sister city to Algiers in "City Lites, An Interlude"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator demonstrate on Career Day at the Chaff Middle School?
2. Why does the narrator say he was reluctant to segregate the hospital in Chapter 20?
3. Why do the neighborhood children gather in the narrator's yard in Chapter 15?
4. What is burned at the ending of Career Day at Chaff Middle School? Why?
5. How does the narrator define sister cities in "City Lites: An Interlude"?
6. How does the narrator respond to the autographed book he receives in Chapter 19? What is the book?
7. Whom did Marpessa marry after leaving the narrator? How has her life changed?
8. Why does the narrator slip out of the meeting in Chapter 19?
9. Who is Jon McJones and where does the narrator encounter him?
10. What actions does the narrator describe taking with Hominy in order to restore segregation in Dickens in Chapter 20?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)