|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only white teacher at the middle school where the narrator demonstrated castrating a calf?
(a) Mr. Wililams.
(b) Mr. Jenkins.
(c) Miss Smart.
(d) Mr. Edmunds.
2. What is the name of the fake school that the narrator has "erected" in Dickens?
(a) The Wilson Academy.
(b) The Roosevelt Academy.
(c) The Carlton Academy.
(d) The Wheaton Academy.
3. What does the narrator say brought all the children of the neighborhood to his yard in Chapter 15?
(a) The police.
(b) The smell.
(c) The newspaper headline.
(d) Rumors of money.
4. Why did the narrator's father flee to Canada?
(a) To dodge the draft.
(b) To attain free healthcare.
(c) To marry a white woman.
(d) To escape slavery.
5. What is the area of Harlem paired with by City Match?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator describes himself in Chapter 18 as the Afrikaner parliamentarian in Johannesburg in what year?
2. What does the narrator describe in Chapter 20 as "a thirty-minute celebration of the wonders and contributions of the mysterious Caucasian race to the world of leisure" (226)?
3. What magazine was King Cuz flipping through when the narrator sat next to him at the meeting of the Dum Dum Donut Intellectuals in Chapter 19?
4. What does the narrator say the best apples taste like in Chapter 18?
5. What word from Chapter 18 refers to a tomblike monument to someone buried elsewhere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the three famous living African Americans that attend the meeting in Chapter 19? How are their identities revealed?
2. How does the narrator define sister cities in "City Lites: An Interlude"?
3. Why have the three cities that Dickens matched with refused to be sister cities?
4. Why does the narrator say he was reluctant to segregate the hospital in Chapter 20?
5. Why does the narrator slip out of the meeting in Chapter 19?
6. What is "Whitey Week" and how is it defined in Chapter 20?
7. Why do the neighborhood children gather in the narrator's yard in Chapter 15?
8. What is burned at the ending of Career Day at Chaff Middle School? Why?
9. What emotional disorder does the narrator tell the court he likely has?
10. Who is Charisma Molina and what is her profession?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)