|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say that L.A. is about in Chapter 9?
2. For what college was the narrator's father the interim dean?
(a) South Los Angeles Community College.
(b) Hollywood Hills Community College.
(c) Citrus Heights Community College.
(d) West Riverside Community College.
3. The narrator states in the Prologue, "Be it ancient Rome or modern-day America, you're either citizen or" what (5)?
4. For how long did the faked contract read that Hominy had been the narrator's slave when he was emancipated?
(a) Six years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
5. What does the narrator claim is the "calling card of the Chickasaw nation" (10)?
(a) "Above and Beyond."
(b) "In Tune with Earth and Skies."
(c) "The Water Whisperers."
(d) "Unconquered and Unconquerable."
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states in the Prologue, "This may be hard to believe, coming from a black man, but I've never" what (3)?
2. What is Hampton Fiske's 800 number?
3. How does the narrator describe the closing of the letter that summoned him to the Supreme Court in the Prologue?
4. What was the hero of the one comic book that the narrator ever owned?
5. What does the narrator claim is the "black workingman's motto" in the Prologue (20)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the definition of satire and how does satire apply to The Sellout?
2. How is Hominy Jenkins described by the narrator?
3. How do the members of the Dum Dum Donut Intellectuals respond to the narrator's proposal to restore the City of Dickens?
4. How does the narrator encounter Marpessa in Chapter 9? What emerges in their meeting?
5. What are the three basic laws of ghetto physics that the narrator describes in Chapter 3?
6. How does the narrator describe Hominy's birthday celebration?
7. How does the narrator describe his father in Chapter 1?
8. How did the community respond when the narrator began his process of marking the boundaries of Dickens?
9. Why does the black woman slap the narrator in the Prologue?
10. What happened on the occasions where the narrator attempted to emancipate Hominy?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)