|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In early reproducing molecules, what is the measure of "success"?
(a) That there are more chemical reactions that can use the molecule.
(b) That there are more molecules around that are like the molecule.
(c) That there are more copies of the molecule, whether they are accurate or not.
(d) That there are fewer ways for the molecule to be destroyed.
2. How does Dawkins characterize the natural world in his discussion of selfishness?
(a) As biased toward selecting particular behaviors.
(b) As alternately friendly and unfriendly.
(c) As dangerous and competitive.
(d) As well-balanced and selective.
3. What would give longevity to early self-duplicating molecules, according to Dawkins?
(a) Smaller numbers of elements.
(b) Greater stability.
(c) Larger numbers of components.
(d) Greater flexibility.
4. According to Dawkins, are the self-copying molecules that Dawkins discusses "life" or not?
(a) Dawkins says it does not matter.
(b) Dawkins says that they are definitely not "life."
(c) Dawkins says that they are definitely "life."
(d) Dawkins says that they are a kind of "life," but not as we know it today.
5. What would molecules that grouped and built protective walls around themselves become?
(a) Inorganic materials.
(b) Single-celled organisms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape does the author say water molecules in space make?
2. What molecules does Dawkins say existed in ancient seas and formed amino acids?
3. What would molecules that broke down other self-copying molecules and used their parts eventually become?
4. What does the author suggest might be better wording than "survival of the fittest"?
5. What apparently selfish act of the penguin does the author describe?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)