|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the second letter, Cordelia tells a story of whom?
2. What has still not happened by the twenty-first?
3. Johannes notices that eventually Cordelia stops looking for ______________.
4. The man notes that Kierkegaard broke off the engagement despite what?
5. Who does Johannes blame in May for his bad luck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johannes learn on the 21st and 22nd?
2. What does Johannes learn about Cordelia's personality on the 2nd? How does this affect him by the 3rd?
3. What does Johannes do upon arriving at the exhibition?
4. How does Cordelia react to what Johannes has said to her? How does the description of the exhibition end?
5. What does the narrator think about Kierkegaard?
6. How does the book open?
7. What is Johannes willing to do to attract women? What will he do regarding Cordelia?
8. What happens between Edward and Johannes?
9. What does Johannes learn regarding Cordelia and her family on the 19th?
10. Describe Johannes' April 5th entry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johannes befriends Edward.
Part 1) Who is Edward? Why does Johannes befriend him? How does Johannes benefit from this friendship? How does this friendship affect Edward?
Part 2) What might Cordelia feel about these men if she knew the reason for their friendship? How does Johannes' actions regarding Edward affect your opinion of both men?
Part 3) Would Johannes have been able to grow as close to Cordelia if he had not befriended Edward? Why or why not? Would Edward's relationship with Cordelia have been different if he had not become friends with Johannes? How are both Edward and Cordelia seduced by Johannes? What parallels exist between their relationships with Johannes?
Essay Topic 2
Both Edward and Johannes plan to make Cordelia hate them.
Part 1) Describe each of their plans to make her hate them. How do their plans compare to each other?
Part 2) Why do they want her to hate them? Are they in each other's plans? Explain.
Part 3) Does this happen in relationships today? Do people purposely make others angry, jealous, and hateful? If so, why? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Johannes grow tired of Edward.
Part 1) Why does he grow tired of him? How does this change Johannes' relationship with Edward, as well as his relationship with Cordelia? How does this affect Edward's relationship with Cordelia?
Part 2) What does this change in Johannes reveal about him and his feelings for Cordelia?
Part 3) How are these feelings related to a theme of control? How does this need for control influence hi behavior?
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)