|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On June 2nd, Johannes notes that Cordelia is __________________; the chatter of her cousins bores her.
2. Johannes hopes that Cordelia is "willing to understand __________________."
3. Whose story comprises most of the diary?
4. On what does Cordelia begin to focus?
5. Johannes points out that he has learned what for new women?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Johannes treat Cordelia, as time goes on? Why does he treat her this way?
2. How does Johannes' diary begin?
3. What has Johannes learned by the 30th? What interactions take place between Cordelia and Johannes by the 30th?
4. How does the narrator feel about Cordelia?
5. How does Cordelia's attention begin to veer away from Edward and towards Johannes?
6. What does Johannes learn regarding Cordelia and her family on the 19th?
7. What does Johannes discuss in his April 14th entry?
8. What takes place in Johannes' April 7th entry?
9. What does Johannes do upon arriving at the exhibition?
10. What should be noted regarding the author and the characters in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kierkegaard is the author writing from the perspective of a man who has come upon the letters of a man named Johannes, who Kierkegaard intends to represent himself.
Part 1) Why does Kierkegaard want to write as if he is Johannes? What can be learned regarding this book from reading the introductory?
Part 2) What can be learned about the author from this story? How is he like Johannes? How might the real Cordelia feel about this story? Is she much like the Cordelia in the story? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What is your opinion of Johannes? Do you have the same opinion of the author? Should the author have written this book about his life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Johannes begins to stalk Cordelia in his first entry.
Part 1) Why does he begin to stalk her? What does he notice about her? Why is he intrigued by her?
Part 2) What does this stalking reveal about his personality? What are your thoughts on his behavior? Does it seem he has stalked before? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why do people stalk other people? What might this reveal about a stalker's mindset?
Essay Topic 3
Johannes says Cordelia has lost her "fragrance.'
Part 1) What does he mean by this? How does he come to this belief? Was this part of his original seduction plan? Why or why not?
Part 2) What does this reveal about him? How does it affect Cordelia? How does this affect the reader?
Part 3) How can the reader relate to both Cordelia and Johannes at the end of the book?
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)