|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Johannes tell Cordelia her family might be?
2. From here, what must be understood?
3. Does Johannes believe Cordelia has been in love?
4. Johannes sees Cordelia but doesn't talk to her, instead speaking with whom in front of her?
5. He observes what in her eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the April 9th entry say?
2. How does Johannes' diary begin?
3. How does the narrator feel about Cordelia?
4. What does the narrator think about Kierkegaard?
5. What does Johannes learn regarding Cordelia and her family on the 19th?
6. What takes place on the 23rd?
7. What happens when Cordelia arrives at the exhibition? When does Johannes first talk to her? About what does he talk?
8. What does Johannes think of a woman being isolated?
9. What happens between Edward and Johannes?
10. What does Johannes learn about Cordelia's personality on the 2nd? How does this affect him by the 3rd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johannes discusses his opinion of women.
Part 1) How does Johannes describe women? What does he believe all women have in common? How do women compare to men?
Part 2) What does this discussion of women reveal about Johannes? Does it help clarify anything regarding his relationship with and feelings for Cordelia? Explain.
Part 3) Do you agree with what Johannes has to say? Why or why not? Might other men of his day agree with him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Johannes says Cordelia has lost her "fragrance.'
Part 1) What does he mean by this? How does he come to this belief? Was this part of his original seduction plan? Why or why not?
Part 2) What does this reveal about him? How does it affect Cordelia? How does this affect the reader?
Part 3) How can the reader relate to both Cordelia and Johannes at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Johannes proposes to Cordelia.
Part 1) Describe the proposal. Why does he propose to her? How does she react? Why does she react this way?
Part 2) How is the proposal part of Johannes' seduction plan? What is the purpose of the seduction? Do you see this engagement leading to a marriage? Why or why not?
Part 3) Compare most engaged couples today to this engaged couple. What do they have in common? What are the differences? What might be the reasons for these differences?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)