|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Johannes desperate to know about Cordelia?
2. Other girls delight in Johannes. Is he interested in them?
3. The book opens with a man who has found a collection of essays where in Kierkegaard's house?
4. What does Johannes realize about his conception of Cordelia?
5. Was Cordelia hurt by this?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Cordelia arrives at the exhibition? When does Johannes first talk to her? About what does he talk?
2. How does the book open?
3. What does Cordelia say in the second letter?
4. What takes place on the 23rd?
5. What does Johannes discuss in his April 14th entry?
6. What does Johannes learn regarding Cordelia and her family on the 19th?
7. What does Johannes discover on the 12th?
8. What takes place on the 15th and 16th?
9. What does Johannes think of a woman being isolated?
10. What has Johannes learned by the 30th? What interactions take place between Cordelia and Johannes by the 30th?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johannes believes Cordelia can find freedom in their love.
Part 1) What does this mean? How can she find freedom in their love? What sort of freedom can she find?
Part 2) How is this statement related to Johannes' reasons for wanting to seduce her? How is it related to his need for control?
Part 3) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Both Edward and Johannes plan to make Cordelia hate them.
Part 1) Describe each of their plans to make her hate them. How do their plans compare to each other?
Part 2) Why do they want her to hate them? Are they in each other's plans? Explain.
Part 3) Does this happen in relationships today? Do people purposely make others angry, jealous, and hateful? If so, why? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Johannes befriends Edward.
Part 1) Who is Edward? Why does Johannes befriend him? How does Johannes benefit from this friendship? How does this friendship affect Edward?
Part 2) What might Cordelia feel about these men if she knew the reason for their friendship? How does Johannes' actions regarding Edward affect your opinion of both men?
Part 3) Would Johannes have been able to grow as close to Cordelia if he had not befriended Edward? Why or why not? Would Edward's relationship with Cordelia have been different if he had not become friends with Johannes? How are both Edward and Cordelia seduced by Johannes? What parallels exist between their relationships with Johannes?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)