|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Johannes want Cordelia to grow tired?
(a) Plain and simple love.
(c) Wild, passionate love.
2. Does Johannes want more than mere legal possession of Cordelia?
(c) Most likely, no.
3. What does Johannes enclose in a letter to Cordelia?
(a) A kiss.
(b) A bottle of perfume.
(c) A lock of his hair.
(d) A portrait.
4. Johannes' plan is to organize the engagement so as to (a) break it off but (b) _____________________.
(a) Use it to torture Edward.
(b) Use it to secure another woman.
(c) Use it to secure a more beautiful and significant relationship.
(d) Use it to satisfy his desire to seduce.
5. Johannes will read _______________ aloud to Cordelia from time to time.
(b) Love stories.
(c) Trivial matters.
6. Cordelia begins to drop hints that she grows tired of engagement and wishes what?
(a) To be free.
(b) To marry another.
(c) To elope.
(d) To be married.
7. Johannes believes that when women devote themselves wholly, what happens to their beauty?
(a) It diminishes.
(b) It is finished.
(c) It begins.
(d) It grows.
8. What has Johannes placed in Cordelia's knitting?
(a) New yarn.
(b) A poem.
(c) A flower.
(d) A note expressing his love for her.
9. At the present time, Johannes sees Cordelia's passion as _____________.
10. Johannes sees female existence as an ideal gracefulness, reminiscent of what?
(a) The butterfly.
(b) An angel.
(c) The flower.
11. On the thirty-first, Johannes has written a love letter for whom?
(a) A third party.
(d) Cordelia's aunt.
12. Where does Cordelia go?
(a) To the country.
(b) To America.
(c) To Paris.
(d) To the city.
13. Why, as a woman, does Cordelia hate him?
(a) Because of his wealth.
(b) Because of his intelligence.
(c) Because of his uninterested masculinity.
(d) Because of his arrogance.
14. Johannes wonders if he is a bad person but justifies his actions on what grounds?
(a) They will increase Cordelia's ability to love him.
(b) He does not love Cordelia.
(c) He has always been a bad person.
(d) They are part of his plan.
15. What does Johannes know about his declaration of love?
(a) It must be strong.
(b) It must happen soon.
(c) It must be passionate.
(d) It must be unique.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Johannes eager to help Cordelia's passion mature?
2. What does Johannes feel he should simply enjoy?
3. When does Johannes and Cordelia's engagement end?
4. Johannes says that Cordelia is devoted to him, but is she his in full yet?
5. Married women have ________ periods in which they are of interest.
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)