|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Johannes enclose in a letter to Cordelia?
(a) A lock of his hair.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A bottle of perfume.
(d) A portrait.
2. What happens when Cordelia's aunt and Edward are away, and Cordelia is home alone?
(a) Cordelia reads a book.
(b) Johannes visits the house.
(c) Johannes spies on Cordelia.
(d) Cordelia visits Johannes.
3. This begins the ____________ with Cordelia where he engages in an emotional back and forth of pursuit.
(a) 'Second war.'
(b) 'Love battle.'
(c) 'First war.'
(d) 'Emotional war.'
4. They start to exchange what?
5. Why does Johannes attempt to place himself wherever Cordelia looks?
(a) In order to keep her interest.
(b) In order to keep an eye on her.
(c) In order to give her confidence.
(d) In order to not forget her.
6. Johannes is worried that in his absence, Cordelia will do what?
(a) Harm herself.
(b) Love him more.
(c) Become depressed.
(d) Think too much about the future and perhaps imagine it without him.
7. In Johannes' first letter, he continues to maintain that she is his and that their freedom consists in what?
(a) Staying apart.
(b) Their letters.
(c) Their love.
(d) Belonging to one another.
8. Through this use of __________, Johannes now believes that Cordelia is his.
(b) A fear.
9. Johannes is determined to bring her to love him by doing what?
(a) Teasing her.
(b) Ignoring her.
(c) Hating her.
(d) Loving her.
10. How does Edward react when he learns of their engagement?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is furious.
(c) He is embarassed.
(d) He is sad.
11. Johannes wonders if he is a bad person but justifies his actions on what grounds?
(a) They will increase Cordelia's ability to love him.
(b) They are part of his plan.
(c) He has always been a bad person.
(d) He does not love Cordelia.
12. Does Cordelia express self-confidence in Johannes' presence?
(b) Not often.
13. Johannes describes his relationship with Cordelia as taking a dramatic course. Why?
(a) He no longer is in love with her.
(b) He no longer wants to seduce Cordelia.
(c) He truly wants Edward to marry Cordelia.
(d) He no longer wants to wait and let the relationship slip away.
14. The season will harmonize with what of Cordelia's?
(a) Her desire to love.
(b) Her heart.
(c) Her soul.
(d) Her personality.
15. Johannes notes that he has seen Cordelia do what for the first time?
Short Answer Questions
1. Edward is drunk with ________ and Johannes is beginning to hate him for it.
2. At the present time, Johannes sees Cordelia's passion as _____________.
3. Does Johannes want more than mere legal possession of Cordelia?
4. Johannes' plan is to organize the engagement so as to (a) break it off but (b) _____________________.
5. With what does Johannes want to surprise Cordelia?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)