|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Through this use of __________, Johannes now believes that Cordelia is his.
(d) A fear.
2. Cordelia begins to drop hints that she grows tired of engagement and wishes what?
(a) To be free.
(b) To elope.
(c) To be married.
(d) To marry another.
3. Why can Edward have no complaint about Johannes?
(a) Johannes is trying to help Edward find a wife.
(b) Johannes does not love Cordelia.
(c) Johannes wants Cordelia to fall in love with Edward.
(d) Johannes does not want Cordelia to fall in love with Edward.
4. What does Johannes liken to his freeing a bird?
(a) Giving Cordelia back to Edward.
(b) Their broken engagement.
(c) Becoming engaged to Cordelia.
(d) Marrying Cordelia.
5. Johannes is determined to _________________ her soul as much as he can.
(a) Stir and agitate.
(b) Caress and care for.
(c) Soothe and love.
(d) Excite and energize.
6. In the third letter, he states what?
(a) She is free.
(b) She will be his.
(c) He is free.
(d) He no longer loves her.
7. Why is Johannes eager to help Cordelia's passion mature?
(a) So that she will find her freedom in their love.
(b) So that she will marry him.
(c) So that he can stop seducing her.
(d) So that she will be his completely.
8. Of what does Johannes want Cordelia to grow tired?
(a) Plain and simple love.
(b) Wild, passionate love.
9. Edward is drunk with ________ and Johannes is beginning to hate him for it.
(d) Lack of sleep.
10. Why is Johannes happy that their engagement ended at this time?
(a) It is a dark time of year, much like the end of their engagement.
(b) It is a sad time of year, for which sad matters are appropriate.
(c) It is a time of new beginnings and is appropriate for their new, separate lives.
(d) It is an exciting time of year, and a good time for Cordelia to find other men to entertain her.
11. Johannes wishes to grow closer but he must increase what first?
(a) Her desire.
(b) Her love.
(c) Her confidence.
(d) Her happiness.
12. What does Johannes have his servant, Johan, leave at the Wahl house?
(a) A portrait.
(b) A letter.
(c) A book.
(d) A poem.
13. How does the aunt react to this news?
(a) She was shocked.
(b) She was embarassed.
(c) She was angered.
(d) She was surprised.
14. Johannes believes that when women devote themselves wholly, what happens to their beauty?
(a) It diminishes.
(b) It begins.
(c) It grows.
(d) It is finished.
15. Johannes notes that he has seen Cordelia do what for the first time?
Short Answer Questions
1. The entry continues with Johannes noting that Cordelia's aunt did what the previous evening?
2. Johannes sees female existence as an ideal gracefulness, reminiscent of what?
3. He then tries to discuss with her when an engagement should be broken. What does Johannes observe in her?
4. In the second letter, he argues that his grief over their break-up will make him able to do what?
5. Why does Johannes believe Cordelia both hates and fears him?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)