|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Johannes enclose in a letter to Cordelia?
(a) A bottle of perfume.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A lock of his hair.
(d) A portrait.
2. Why does Cordelia respond in this way?
(a) She does not know him well.
(b) She is very shy.
(c) She does not trust him.
(d) She does not like him.
3. In Johannes' last entry, he never wants to see Cordelia again and believes she has done what?
(a) Forgotten him.
(b) Stopped loving him.
(c) Given all her love away.
(d) Gone mad.
4. How does Edward react when he learns of their engagement?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is furious.
(d) He is embarassed.
5. This begins the ____________ with Cordelia where he engages in an emotional back and forth of pursuit.
(a) 'Second war.'
(b) 'Emotional war.'
(c) 'Love battle.'
(d) 'First war.'
6. Johannes says that events at the Wahl house are ________________.
(a) Increasingly momentous.
(c) Increasingly more stagnant.
(d) Slow to start.
7. What does Johannes feel he should simply enjoy?
(a) Cordelia's sense of humor.
(b) Cordelia's beauty.
(c) Cordelia's love.
(d) Cordelia's intelligence.
8. Does Cordelia express self-confidence in Johannes' presence?
(a) Not often.
9. When Johannes sees her, Cordelia knows that their relationship must do what?
10. Johannes finds that he can endlessly contemplate what subject?
11. Johannes wishes to grow closer but he must increase what first?
(a) Her happiness.
(b) Her love.
(c) Her confidence.
(d) Her desire.
12. Johannes is determined to bring her to love him by doing what?
(a) Ignoring her.
(b) Hating her.
(c) Loving her.
(d) Teasing her.
13. He then tries to discuss with her when an engagement should be broken. What does Johannes observe in her?
14. In the second letter, he argues that his grief over their break-up will make him able to do what?
(a) Forget her.
(b) Love another.
(c) Remember her.
(d) Love her more.
15. What happens when Cordelia's aunt and Edward are away, and Cordelia is home alone?
(a) Cordelia visits Johannes.
(b) Johannes visits the house.
(c) Cordelia reads a book.
(d) Johannes spies on Cordelia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has helped this rumor to reach Cordelia's ears?
2. Johannes thinks erotic love has gradations. How does he feel about Cordelia's progress in this regard?
3. In Johannes' first letter, he continues to maintain that she is his and that their freedom consists in what?
4. Johannes is determined to _________________ her soul as much as he can.
5. Through this use of __________, Johannes now believes that Cordelia is his.
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)