|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the largest heiau currently known to exist?
2. Why do many car rental companies not allow travelers to take Saddle Road?
3. When is the best time for ritual, according to Pila?
4. What does Pila state helps people focus and makes the body happy in Chapter 14?
5. Pila writes that all of the colors of the _____ of life come together in Hawaii.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the three angles for observing the Golden Rule by the ancient Hawaiians?
2. How do the three aspects of the psyche work together?
3. What are heiaus?
4. What suggestions does Pila lend to the individual regarding ritual in Chapter 14?
5. What does the Hawaiian legend say will happen to the Old Ones one day?
6. What is the understanding the individual is to gain from connecting to manna? How does this happen?
7. What is at the top of the mountain at Saddle Road?
8. What phenomena are reported at the Edge of Eternity?
9. What does Pila write of water and sunsets in Chapter 7?
10. What does Pila write of secret meetings in Chapter 14? Describe these.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Pila describe the state of the modern world in The Secrets and Mysteries of Hawaii? What are his suggestions for appeasing it?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Children of the Rainbow following the casting out of the kahunas. How did they reestablish themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Pila's ritual for those who seek to come honor Pele. What takes place and where?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)