|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first day of Pila's hypothetical vacation titled in Chapter 1?
2. What moku or district on the Big Island of Hawaii did Pila return to after the war?
3. Who did Pila think might have had a clue into the root of his problems the past 20 years in Chapter 3?
4. In Chapter 4, Pila writes that the key to solving problems is what?
5. What is a Hawaiian word for veranda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the photographs depicted in Chapter 6 by Dr. Gilroy.
2. Describe Oceanview, Hawaii. What phenomena can be seen here?
3. What does Pila say the typical vacationer in Hawaii spends doing the third day through remainder of their trip?
4. Who is Dr. Gilroy and what did he show Pila?
5. What does Pila write about the world's problems and solutions in Chapter 4?
6. What does Pila write of the Hawaiian language?
7. What does Pila write about the state of the world and society in Chapter 1?
8. What associations between the Great Pyramids and Hawaiian volcanoes does Pila make in Chapter 6? Who does he speak with?
9. What does Pila write about the Hawaiian belief of energy forces in Chapter 5?
10. What is Oahu and how does Pila describe it in the journey of the Paradise of Self?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the foods of Hawaii. What traditions of cooking and celebration are detailed in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the correlation between chakras and the islands of Hawaii. How does each correspond to the other?
Essay Topic 3
Define and describe the following terms from the text: Huna, Kahuna, Calabash, and Manna. How do each relate to the other?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)