|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is a former Harvard professor who retired in Hawaii?
2. What kingdom was a legendary continent with the Hawaiian Islands at the tip?
3. What is a Hawaiian word for veranda?
4. What is the capital of Hawaii?
5. What will not grow in the lava tube caves of Hawaii?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the chant in Chapter 7?
2. What does Pila write of the Hawaiian language?
3. What are chakras and how does Pila describe them in the text?
4. What does Pila write about the state of the world and society in Chapter 1?
5. When did Pila first visit Hawaii? When did he return?
6. What does Pila write about the world's problems and solutions in Chapter 4?
7. What connection was found between the Martian landscape and the Egyptian one?
8. Describe Oceanview, Hawaii. What phenomena can be seen here?
9. Who is Dr. Gilroy and what did he show Pila?
10. Why does Pila recommend that travelers visit the volcano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference between huna and the Hawaiian theology. Who originated the term "huna"? When?
Essay Topic 2
Describe vortexes and lay-lines. What does Pila believe these both have the power to do? Why do they exist?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the foods of Hawaii. What traditions of cooking and celebration are detailed in the text?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)