|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did David Mamet claim was a brilliant actress and comedienne but failed to meet the standards of the feminists of her day in Chapter 26: Feminism?
2. What is defined as an organized group of persons associated together for religious, benevolent, cultural, scientific, political, patriotic, or other purposes?
3. In what year was Sarah Palin appointed Chairman of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission?
4. When was Karl Marx born?
5. Dred Scott v. Sandford was a ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court that people of African descent brought into the United States and held as slaves (or their descendants, whether or not they were slaves) could never be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mamet relate the government to a sports referee in Chapter 30: Naturally Evolved Institutions?
2. From what did the institution of marriage arise, according to Mamet in Chapter 30: Naturally Evolved Institutions?
3. How has opinion changed regarding the Jewish people, according to Mamet in Chapter 28: Some Personal History?
4. What is the outcome when the government intervenes on the side of the street sweeper according to Mamet in Chapter 32: The Street Sweeper and the Surgeon, or Marxism Examined?
5. How does Mamet describe the impact of the Dred Scott Decision in Chapter 33: Self-Evident Truth?
6. For what play was Mamet criticized for misogynistic views in Chapter 26: Feminism? What was his response?
7. How is Saul Alinsky described in Chapter 37: Late Revelations? What criticism does Mamet have for community organization?
8. How does Mamet describe liberal hypocrisy in regard to feminism in Chapter 26: Feminism?
9. What does Mamet claim about war, diplomacy and choice in Chapter 36: Bumper Stickers?
10. What does Mamet write about his own military experience in Chapter 37: Late Revelations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the book "White Guilt" by Shelby Steele. What political and social viewpoints does the book present? How did it influence Mamet?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of commerce in Communist and non-Communist nations discussed in Chapter 14: R100. What does the metaphor of Nevil Shute do to support Mamet's case?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mamet's examination of Jane Fonda and Vanessa Redgrave. Do you agree or disagree with Mamet's conclusion that Fonda committed treason? How do her actions differ from those granted from freedom of speech?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)