|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mamet writes in Chapter 11: What is "Diversity?" that a liberal education teaches children to dismantle and disparage what?
2. What does Mamet claim the Arabs want in regard to the State of Israel in Chapter 12: The Monty Hall Problem and the Contractor?
3. When was Jane Fonda born?
4. When was Milton Friedman born?
5. According to Mamet in Chapter 1: The Political Impulse, justice was seen by the Right as meaning what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mamet claim would be the outcome in Iran if people expressed freedom of thought in Chapter 17: Puritans?
2. What comparison does Mamet make between Charles Manson and Che Guevara in Chapter 4: Alcatraz?
3. What question did Milton Friedman ask, according to Mamet in Chapter 10: Milton Friedman Explained? Where does Mamet believe government should and should not intervene?
4. How does Mamet relate liberalism, big government and nature in Chapter 18: The Noble Savage?
5. How does Mamet describe the paradox of liberal thought in Chapter 1: The Political Impulse?
6. How is Nevil Shute introduced in Chapter 14: R100? What was Shute contracted to make?
7. How does Mamet describe his transition from liberalism to conservatism in Chapter 2: The American Reality? What book influenced him?
8. How does Mamet describe his former political leanings in Chapter 1: The Political Impulse?
9. How do liberal youths today relate to the book "Lost Horizon", according to Mamet in Chapter 5: Lost Horizon?
10. How does Mamet relate Obama's campaign to the musical "The Music Man" in Chapter 6: "The Music Man"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Mamet's metaphors in Chapter 29: The Family and Chapter 30: Naturally Evolved Institutions. How does Mamet describe the role of government using a child's sports game as an example?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of commerce in Communist and non-Communist nations discussed in Chapter 14: R100. What does the metaphor of Nevil Shute do to support Mamet's case?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mamet's examination of Jane Fonda and Vanessa Redgrave. Do you agree or disagree with Mamet's conclusion that Fonda committed treason? How do her actions differ from those granted from freedom of speech?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)