|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10: Milton Friedman Explained, Mamet writes that as opposed to asking, "What are the decisions?" Milton Friedman posed what question?
2. According to Mamet in Chapter 7: Choice, a group that knows nothing of the world's history plopped in an isolated area on earth has what one factor that keeps it together?
3. In what year did the government award Nevil Shute and a governmental department contracts to make rigid aircraft called zeppelins?
4. Liberals view themselves as compassionate and free-thinking but to Mamet they are what?
5. What does Mamet assert would happen to the occupants of an Iranian vehicle with a bumper sticker with a Christian cross, a star of David and a Muslim crescent and the single word, "Co-Exist"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mamet claim would be the outcome in Iran if people expressed freedom of thought in Chapter 17: Puritans?
2. How does Mamet relate Obama's campaign to the musical "The Music Man" in Chapter 6: "The Music Man"?
3. What comparison does Mamet make between Charles Manson and Che Guevara in Chapter 4: Alcatraz?
4. How is Nevil Shute introduced in Chapter 14: R100? What was Shute contracted to make?
5. What values does Mamet claim the Democrats and Republicans espoused in the 2008 election in Chapter 1: The Political Impulse?
6. What criticism of the Left does Mamet voice in Chapter 7: Choice?
7. How is the premise of "Let's Make a Deal" described in Chapter 12: The Monty Hall Problem and the Contractor?
8. How does Mamet describe Homeland Security in Chapter 20: Cabinet Spiritualism and the Car Czar?
9. What economist does Mamet cite in Chapter 6: "The Music Man"? What observation is made?
10. How does Mamet define culture in Chapter 3: Culture, School Shootings, the Audience, and the Elevator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mamet's assertions about feminism, the Left and Sarah Palin. Do you agree with Mamet on the reasons the Left did not embrace Palin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mamet's criticism of the Liberal Arts education in America. How does Mamet serve these institutions? Do you agree with Mamet's observations? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the work of Franklin D. Roosevelt. How does Mamet equate Roosevelt's successes as the successes of big government?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)