|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1969, Al Sharpton was appointed by whom as youth director of Operation Breadbasket, a group that focused on the promotion of new and better jobs for African-Americans?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) Jesse Jackson.
(c) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(d) Richard Nixon.
2. What is defined as a group pattern of habitual activity usually transmitted from one generation to another?
3. What was a federation of unions that organized workers in industrial unions in the United States and Canada from 1935 to 1955?
(a) The Federation of North American Workers.
(b) The Teamsters.
(c) The Society of Workers.
(d) The Congress of Industrial Organizations.
4. When did the Vietnam War begin?
5. Mamet writes in Chapter 29: The Family, that the family is the single-most important unit for transmitting what?
(a) Information about justice.
(c) Political views.
(d) Cultural information.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Mamet's grandparents immigrate to the United States?
2. What refers to the area of the nation's economy under private rather than governmental control?
3. The Ashkenazi Jews were from where?
4. When was Sarah Palin elected Governor of Alaska?
5. Freedom of speech in the United States is protected by what Amendment to the U.S. Constitution?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mamet describe liberal hypocrisy in regard to feminism in Chapter 26: Feminism?
2. What does Mamet claim about the denigration of American culture in Chapter 22: My Father, Al Sharpton, and the Designated Criminal?
3. How does Mamet define greed and ambition in Chapter 23: Greed?
4. How are the Ashkenazi Jews described in Chapter 27: The Ashkenazis? How did Mamet's grandparents succeed in America?
5. What is the outcome when the government intervenes on the side of the street sweeper according to Mamet in Chapter 32: The Street Sweeper and the Surgeon, or Marxism Examined?
6. What importance does Mamet lay on the foundation of family in Chapter 29: The Family?
7. How does Mamet relate demagoguery to the Obama campaign in Chapter 33: Self-Evident Truth?
8. How is Saul Alinsky described in Chapter 37: Late Revelations? What criticism does Mamet have for community organization?
9. How does Mamet relate the metaphor of the street sweeper to Marxism in Chapter 32: The Street Sweeper and the Surgeon, or Marxism Examined?
10. How has opinion changed regarding the Jewish people, according to Mamet in Chapter 28: Some Personal History?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)