|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mamet writes in Chapter 34: Hope and Change, that a democracy doesn't elect the best people in the country for what reason?
(a) They don't raise enough funds.
(b) They aren't as popular.
(c) They represent a third party.
(d) They generally don't run.
2. In Chapter 38: Who Does One Think He Is? Mamet claims that he wrote "The Secret Knowledge" not because he's an expert but because he is what?
(a) A citizen with something to say.
(b) Lacking listeners.
(c) A true patriot.
(d) Saddened by the state of the country.
3. Mamet writes that he did not serve in the military for what reason in Chapter 37: Late Revelations?
(a) He moved to Mexico.
(b) He was wealthy.
(c) He moved to Canada.
(d) He was given a deferment.
4. When was Al Sharpton born?
5. Mamet describes being criticized for being a misogynist by a female critic for what play in Chapter 26: Feminism?
(b) Waiting for Godot.
(c) Sexual Perversity in Chicago.
(d) American Buffalo.
Short Answer Questions
1. The State of Israel was created by a British mandate that was ratified by what organization?
2. Mamet writes in Chapter 33: Self-Evident Truth that American Democracy is based on the belief that what?
3. Freedom of speech in the United States is protected by what Amendment to the U.S. Constitution?
4. Mamet writes in Chapter 31: Breatharian that government did not invent what nor can it oversee it effectively?
5. Who wrote the Supreme Court's decision in Dred Scott v. Sandford?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did David Mamet's political beliefs evolve throughout his life?
2. How has opinion changed regarding the Jewish people, according to Mamet in Chapter 28: Some Personal History?
3. How does Mamet relate the metaphor of the street sweeper to Marxism in Chapter 32: The Street Sweeper and the Surgeon, or Marxism Examined?
4. Why does Mamet state that a democracy does not generally elect the best people into office in Chapter 34: Hope and Change? What example does he cite?
5. How does Mamet describe the impact of the Dred Scott Decision in Chapter 33: Self-Evident Truth?
6. How does Mamet relate liberals to Rumpelstiltskin?
7. How does Mamet describe liberal hypocrisy in regard to feminism in Chapter 26: Feminism?
8. Why does Mamet assert he wrote the book The Secret Knowledge in Chapter 38: Who Does One Think He Is?
9. How is Saul Alinsky described in Chapter 37: Late Revelations? What criticism does Mamet have for community organization?
10. How are the Ashkenazi Jews described in Chapter 27: The Ashkenazis? How did Mamet's grandparents succeed in America?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)