|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 16: The Victim, Mamet writes that the liberal concern for the "victim" is merely an attempt to do what?
(a) Attain power and fame.
(b) Raise money.
(c) Evoke a religious, spiritual feeling.
(d) Be martyrs.
2. When was the play "Glengarry Glen Ross" first produced?
3. In Chapter 13: Maxwell Street, Mamet writes that although the Constitution gives the power to declare war to the Congress, who declared war on Japan and then got Congress' approval?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) Herbert Hoover.
(c) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(d) Woodrow Wilson.
4. Who felt that ultimate security would be found in peaceful solutions, according to Mamet in the 2008 Presidential elections?
(c) Sarah Palin.
(d) Pat Robertson.
5. What economist makes the observation that aid to a developing country actually impedes that development in Chapter 6: The Music Man?
(a) Carl Menger.
(b) Wilhelm Röpke.
(c) Dambisa Moyo.
(d) Paul Krugman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is defined as the preservation of different cultures or cultural identities within a unified society, as a state or nation?
2. What actor was Jane Fonda's father?
3. At what institution did Milton Friedman teach for over three decades?
4. What television game show is referenced in Chapter 12: The Monty Hall Problem and the Contractor?
5. What does Mamet claim the political impulse originated from in Chapter 1: The Political Impulse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What economist does Mamet cite in Chapter 6: "The Music Man"? What observation is made?
2. What does Mamet assert of the free market in Chapter 18: The Noble Savage?
3. How does Mamet describe the nature of laws in Chapter 13: Maxwell Street?
4. How does Mamet describe the paradox of liberal thought in Chapter 1: The Political Impulse?
5. How do liberal youths today relate to the book "Lost Horizon", according to Mamet in Chapter 5: Lost Horizon?
6. What does Mamet write about the meaning of the parting of the Red Sea in Chapter 8: The Red Sea?
7. What comparison does Mamet make between Charles Manson and Che Guevara in Chapter 4: Alcatraz?
8. What does Mamet claim is the promise of the government in Chapter 9: Chicago?
9. How does Mamet relate Obama's campaign to the musical "The Music Man" in Chapter 6: "The Music Man"?
10. What question did Milton Friedman ask, according to Mamet in Chapter 10: Milton Friedman Explained? Where does Mamet believe government should and should not intervene?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)