|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hampden and when was is founded?
2. What does Bunny begin saying to his friends to upset and frustrate them after the night of the bacchanal?
3. About what word do Prof. Morrow and Richard have a short conversation?
4. What does Richard remember as being the best times of his first term at Hampden?
5. What is the next trip Bunny has planned for himself and Henry in the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Henry asks Richard a serious question before telling him about the murder of the farmer. What does he ask, what does he mean by this question, and what has Richard been covering up?
2. When Henry comes to Richard to ask questions about dosages and chemicals, what does he tell Richard about his plan to solve the group's problem with Bunny? How does Richard respond?
3. How does Richard finally meet and speak to students in Professor Morrow's Greek class? How do the students respond to him?
4. What does Richard learn his friends have done? How does he react?
5. How and why does Richard end up at Hampden College? How does he get to the college from his home?
6. Under what conditions does Prof. Morrow allow Richard to join his Greek class? How does Richard initially react? What does he decide to do?
7. After the bacchanal, the group members are worried about Bunny. Why?
8. How does Bunny die? What part do the group members have in his death?
9. How does Bunny treat Richard during the weekend at Francis' house in the country? What important information about Richard becomes obvious to the group?
10. Who rescues Richard and nurses him back to health? How do these two people get along with each other? What are some of the things Richard learns about his Greek classmates during his recuperation? Why are these things important for Richard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While talking to Richard, Julian makes the statement "with young people, you never can tell." What does this expression mean about young people in general and the characters in this novel specifically?
Essay Topic 2
In this novel, we are told in the opening sentence Bunny is dead. Yet, the author creates suspense and rising action. Discuss the techniques the author uses to keep the reader engaged in the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Richard defines his fatal flaw as "a morbid longing for the picturesque at all costs." What does he mean by this? Is he correct? Support your answer.
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)