Book I, Chapters 1-2
• The story opens with the narrator explaining Bunny Corcoran is dead.
• Richard Papen is the narrator who lives in Plano, California.
• Richard is unhappy in his hometown, and unhappy at his local college where he studies Greek and literature.
• After an argument with his parents one night, Richard stumbles upon the information about Hampden College.
• Hampden is a small liberal arts college in Vermont.
• Richard is accepted to the college and travels cross country to begin in the fall semester.
• When Richard asks about taking Greek, his adviser explains the Prof Julian Morrow is the teacher.
• His adviser also explains that Prof. Morrow has only five students in his Greek class.
• When Richard asks Prof. Morrow if he may join the class, Morrow turns him down.
• However Richard approaches him again and he accepts Richard into the class.
• Richard meets him classmates Camilla...
This section contains 2,512 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)