|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Laura set free on June 24, 1987?
2. Where does Laura resolve to go on April 2, 1987?
3. Donna's boyfriend in the narrative is a what?
4. Where does Laura write she has started a new job on April 7, 1988?
5. Who does Laura write of dreaming of on December 14, 1986?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is found in the text following Laura's April 7, 1988 entry?
2. What drug exchange does Laura describe on November 12, 1987? What happened?
3. Whom does Laura describe a dangerous encounter with on February 9, 1988?
4. Who does Laura describe meeting at the diner on Christmas Eve Day, 1987?
5. How does the theme of duality manifest in Part 8, December 16, 1987 to Christmas Eve Day, 1987 - Later?
6. What changes has Laura's character undergone in Part 6, October 3 1986 to April 2, 1987?
7. What structural shift takes place in the narrative in Part 9, January 3 1988 to April 7, 1988?
8. What metaphor does Laura use in describing her horse Troy in Part 7, June 24 1987 to December 15, 1987?
9. What is significant about Laura's abortion in terms of style/theme?
10. What dream-like conversation does Laura describe with her father? When did it take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of metaphor and simile in the depiction of Laura's horse in the narrative. How does Laura relate to Troy? What is ironic about this metaphor?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jennifer Lynch's use of symbolism and metaphor in The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer. What is significant about owls, the woods, and other supernatural elements?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the source material for The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer. Where were the characters and the setting developed and by whom?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)