|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the young men from that Laura describes in October 12, 1985?
2. Laura writes that she worries of being thought of as what on July 23, 1984?
3. One of the key themes of The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer is what?
4. What does Laura write "watches over her" in the entry from August 11, 1984?
5. What does Laura write she enjoys borrowing from her cousin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the symbolism in Laura and Donna's friendship as it evolves in Part 4, April 23, 1986 to July 25, 1986. How does it tie into the narrative's themes?
2. What does Laura question about religion on August 7, 1984? How does this tie to the narrative's themes?
3. Describe the change in narrative style in Part 5, August 3, 1986 to October 1, 1986. What causes the change?
4. Who does Laura describe for the first time in her entry from June 22, 1986? What is detailed?
5. What does Laura describe in her first diary entry? What occasion begins the narrative?
6. What did Laura describe happening with the Canadian boys on October 20, 1985?
7. What does Laura describe in the entry from September 11, 1986? When was it written?
8. Describe the major thematic elements in Part 5, August 3, 1986 to October 1, 1986. How do these reflect the protagonist?
9. What does the death of Laura's cat foreshadow in the narrative? How?
10. What is the significance of owls in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role that BOB plays in the narrative's plot. Who and what is BOB? What is his relationship to the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Laura Palmer and Donna Hayward. How long have the girls known one another? What are their key differences and similarities?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Laura's relationships with Johnny Horne and Harold Smith. What similarities are there in each? What differences?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)