|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of night is Laura's August 4, 1986 written?
2. Where is the entrance to the Black Lodge?
3. Whose murder was the central focus of the television series upon which the book is based?
4. What is the population of Twin Peaks?
5. On October 1, 1986, Laura writes that Bobby took her to whose house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of Laura's entry from April 23, 1986? How long had it been since she'd written?
2. Describe the change in narrative style in Part 5, August 3, 1986 to October 1, 1986. What causes the change?
3. What are some of the principle examples of foreshadowing used in Laura's first diary entries? What do they foretell?
4. Who does Laura describe for the first time in her entry from June 22, 1986? What is detailed?
5. What does Laura describe in her first diary entry? What occasion begins the narrative?
6. What is the subject of Laura's poem on November 13, 1985? Who is referenced in the poem?
7. Describe the major thematic elements in Part 5, August 3, 1986 to October 1, 1986. How do these reflect the protagonist?
8. To whom does Laura write directly in her entry from September 15, 1984? Why?
9. Where does Laura write the entry from August 11, 1984? What watches over her?
10. Whose death does Laura mourn in the entries from October 3, 1985? What is the subject of these entries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Bobby Briggs. Where did Laura meet Bobby? What characteristics drew Laura to him? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of duality in The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer. How does the theme manifest in the protagonist? How in other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer. Where is Twin Peaks located? What border is nearby?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)