|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the character Bobby's last name?
2. What was the name of the fan magazine based around "Twin Peaks"?
3. How many young men does Laura retell meeting on October 20, 1985?
4. Laura writes that she worries of being thought of as what on July 23, 1984?
5. What is the name of "The Log Lady"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What themes arise in Laura's entries from Part 3, October 3 1985 to December 16, 1985? What motifs?
2. What does the death of Laura's cat foreshadow in the narrative? How?
3. What is established stylistically in the first entries of the book? What is notable of the narrative voice?
4. What does Laura write of her dreams on July 23, 1984? What imagery is used?
5. What does Laura describe in the entry from September 11, 1986? When was it written?
6. What did Laura describe happening with the Canadian boys on October 20, 1985?
7. Describe the thematic and symbolic elements which begin to emerge in the narrative in Laura's 14th year. What themes emerge?
8. Whose death does Laura mourn in the entries from October 3, 1985? What is the subject of these entries?
9. Who does Laura describe for the first time in her entry from June 22, 1986? What is detailed?
10. Describe the symbolism in Laura and Donna's friendship as it evolves in Part 4, April 23, 1986 to July 25, 1986. How does it tie into the narrative's themes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jennifer Lynch's use of symbolism and metaphor in The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer. What is significant about owls, the woods, and other supernatural elements?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motifs of sex and drugs in The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer. How does the author use these motifs to further the narrative's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Laura and Donna's experience with the Canadian boys. Where did they meet? What took place?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)