|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. La Gorda tells Carlos that his ability to summon his 'double' is part of the ______ art.
2. La Gorda used a/an ______ in her mouth to fool customers into thinking that she had a toothache and could not eat.
3. During the running on the walls demonstration, Carlos began to feel discomfort in his _______, almost as if that area of his body was being used to complete the feat.
4. The Genaros reveal to Carlos that Don Juan and Don Genaro took him to a grove of _______ trees, because they were his tree.
5. The nagual told La Gorda that Carlos' ______ won't come out again until Carlos is as old as the nagual.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Juan insist that being a warrior will bring to the person and to their efforts?
2. Why does Josefina attempt to play a prank on Carlos, pretending to be a strange man sleeping next to him?
3. What are the four outcomes Don Juan has predicted as a result of Carlos' visit?
4. What does dreaming do in relation to the layers of luminosity of the human body?
5. Why does Pablito make a clothing booth bigger while he is filling in building clothing booths?
6. What are the details of humans which make them more vulnerable to death?
7. What will happen when Carlos returns after going away to contemplate his two bouts as omens?
8. What does La Gorda feel has happened to the group since the Sorcerers left?
9. What do the women need now that they have lost their old purpose, now that Carlos has decided to stay?
10. In order to energize for a long day, what does La Gorda decide to show Carlos how to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The sisters seem to be full of tricks, trying to hurt Carlos and to cause him to make mistakes.
Part 1: Why do you think the sisters are trying to trick Carlos?
Part 2: What do you think of the three sisters? Do they seem to be powerful warriors?
Part 3: Would you say that the sisters were acting in an impeccable manner?
Essay Topic 2
The life story of La Gorda is a sad one, filled with things which seem to cause her pain, yet she becomes a powerful teacher.
Part 1: Why do you think La Gorda was able to overcome her past?
Part 2: Do you think personal pain can make a person a better teacher for others?
Part 3: What might have happened to La Gorda if she had not attempted to be more spiritual in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Carlos realizes that his second attention has been warped by his use of plants in other rituals.
Part 1: How would you describe the idea of second attention?
Part 2: Why do you think the plants might have affected the second attention of Carlos?
Part 3: How might the plants have helped the second attention of Carlos?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)