|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. La Gorda announced to the 'sisters' that the nagual, meaning Carlos, was going to call the ______ using his special call.
2. The Mazatec sorcerer began to teach Nestor things about _____ that Genaro had not taught him before moving on.
3. Don Juan taught the sisters and the Genaros that the ______ consisted of 'the order that we are aware of in our daily world'.
4. Don Juan suggested that a warrior walks for miles every day and only eats _____ mouthfuls of food at a sitting.
5. ______ used to gaze at thunderheads, and this was how he came to have two of his apprentices.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carlos find out that the Genaros lack though Carlos seems to have them?
2. What is the purpose of La Gorda since she is a warrior and every warrior must have a purpose?
3. What does Genaro convince Pablito he is feeding Don Juan when he hires Don Juan as his assistant?
4. When do the Genaros feel safe and at ease in their lives, according to this part of the story?
5. What does Don Juan insist that being a warrior will bring to the person and to their efforts?
6. What happens when Carlos stops to tie his laces when he is out for a walk on a trail?
7. What do the women need now that they have lost their old purpose, now that Carlos has decided to stay?
8. Why doesn't La Gorda help Pablito with his new position in which Don Juan has put him?
9. What are the four outcomes Don Juan has predicted as a result of Carlos' visit?
10. What does Carlos know is the only deterrent to despair in one's life, according to the teachings he has learned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The life story of La Gorda is a sad one, filled with things which seem to cause her pain, yet she becomes a powerful teacher.
Part 1: Why do you think La Gorda was able to overcome her past?
Part 2: Do you think personal pain can make a person a better teacher for others?
Part 3: What might have happened to La Gorda if she had not attempted to be more spiritual in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos has found out that his teacher has withheld information from him in the past, which is why his teachings continue now.
Part 1: Why would a teacher withhold information from a student?
Part 2: Do you think that Carlos should have been able to learn everything directly from Don Juan?
Part 3: How would you feel if you found out a teacher withheld information from you?
Essay Topic 3
Carlos realizes that his second attention has been warped by his use of plants in other rituals.
Part 1: How would you describe the idea of second attention?
Part 2: Why do you think the plants might have affected the second attention of Carlos?
Part 3: How might the plants have helped the second attention of Carlos?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)