|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The nagual told La Gorda that Carlos' ______ won't come out again until Carlos is as old as the nagual.
2. La Gorda told Carlos that dreamers have a particular tree to gaze at. Both Gorda and Carlos have the ______tree.
3. La Gorda announced to the 'sisters' that the nagual, meaning Carlos, was going to call the ______ using his special call.
4. La Gorda mentions to Carlos that the nagual thought that he would have enough energy to summon his double ______ times.
5. Once in the new room, Carlos noticed that the walls were oriented to the ______ directions.
Short Essay Questions
1. How will La Gorda be able to lose human form in order to become more powerful?
2. What does Don Juan do in order to test the apprentices in a tonal task with the table?
3. Why does Pablito make a clothing booth bigger while he is filling in building clothing booths?
4. Why can't six of the apprentices shake off their human forms, according to the story?
5. What is the argument Carlos has against the idea of attaining completeness which La Gorda teaches?
6. What are the details of humans which make them more vulnerable to death?
7. What does Genaro convince Pablito he is feeding Don Juan when he hires Don Juan as his assistant?
8. Why does Josefina attempt to play a prank on Carlos, pretending to be a strange man sleeping next to him?
9. Why doesn't La Gorda help Pablito with his new position in which Don Juan has put him?
10. What are the four outcomes Don Juan has predicted as a result of Carlos' visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the women in the story seem to be more interested in taking the power Carlos has and using it for themselves.
Part 1: Does it seem right that the women in the story use Carlos for his energy?
Part 2: Would you give your power to someone else if they said they needed it?
Part 3: Why do you think Carlos is the one who has the extra power that the women need?
Essay Topic 2
At this point in the training of Carlos, it seems that he acts more out of instinct that out of rational thought.
Part 1: Do you think that Carlos is a powerful warrior in the book?
Part 2: Why do you think Carlos is able to know what to do without thinking about it?
Part 3: In what ways does Carlos still seem to need training in order to be powerful in the world?
Essay Topic 3
La Gorda says that a warrior must have a purpose in their life, helping to create a direction in which to go.
Part 1: Why do you think all warriors must have a purpose in their lives?
Part 2: How do you think a person can begin to uncover their purpose in life?
Part 3: What do you think your purpose in life is at this particular moment? How does this drive your actions?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)