|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When La Gorda became sick and tired of being fat she stopped eating for _____ days which broke her food fixation.
2. The sisters showed Carlos how to energize himself by gazing at _____ with half closed eyes.
3. During the display of acrobatics at the house, La Gorda instructs Carlos to hold his hands over his ______.
4. La Gorda said that seeing the substance left behind after Carlos attacked with his double was true 'seeing' and that the substance was part of his _____.
5. Pablito tells Carlos that he is not only one of Don Juan's children but also one of Genaro's because they both added to his ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. When do the Genaros feel safe and at ease in their lives, according to this part of the story?
2. What are the details of humans which make them more vulnerable to death?
3. What does dreaming do in relation to the layers of luminosity of the human body?
4. What are the four outcomes Don Juan has predicted as a result of Carlos' visit?
5. What is the argument Carlos has against the idea of attaining completeness which La Gorda teaches?
6. Why does La Gorda see Don Juan as being cruel in the way that he lives and the way that he teaches?
7. As soon as the Nagual leaves, what does Pablito decide that he is strong enough to do?
8. How will La Gorda be able to lose human form in order to become more powerful?
9. Because Carlos is like the Genaros in luminosity, what should he not believe?
10. Why does Carlos miss the explanations of Don Juan, according to his own learning process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The journey to Don Juan by Carlos seems to be one of faith, of hoping that they will meet up without actually having a plan to do so.
Part 1: Do you think you could work with a teacher if you weren't sure of your lesson plans or where you might meet?
Part 2: Why do you think it's helpful to Carlos' training to have the teacher's location be a mystery?
Part 3: How might not having a clear understanding of where Don Juan is harm the teaching of Carlos?
Essay Topic 2
The demeanor of La Gorda helps Carlos to feel at ease with his new teacher. Her eyes are calm and dark.
Part 1: Do you think a teacher needs to be calming in order to be effective?
Part 2: Why do you think Carlos is at ease with La Gorda as opposed to with others in the story?
Part 3: How do you think the relationship between Carlos and La Gorda is affected by her demeanor?
Essay Topic 3
When Pablito is put in charge, he becomes insufferable to be around and begins to cause trouble.
Part 1: Why do you think power can change the way a person behaves?
Part 2: Is it possible to have more power without changing the way you are in relation to others?
Part 3: Why do you think Pablito was put in charge in the future place?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)