|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _______ has difficulty talking and Carlos is horrified by the apparent 'aphasia' that has made it difficult for her.
2. ________ runs out to greet him and Carlos is unnerved because she is running too fast and nimbly for an old woman.
3. When Carlos asks how he might be able to cure Soledad of her sickness, he is told to use his _______.
4. La Gorda was challenged one day by ______ and was forced into a hole for days until she could accept her fate.
5. La Gorda reveals to Carlos that she alone knows the location of ______. Carlos then demands that she tell him.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do men and women store their memories, according to the observations of Carlos?
2. Carlos remembers a story about a friend who was dying in the hospital, but what did Don Juan say about how she could push her disease away?
3. What is the ability that the Nagual has given to La Gorda and Carlos, though not to the girls, though all are the same?
4. What happens when a woman menstruates in order to increase their power in the world?
5. What quality does La Gorda have that Don Juan had too which helps to make Carlos feel at ease?
6. Carlos is intrigued by the sisters, but also fearful of them. Which sisters has he known for years, describing them as dark and beautiful?
7. What do La Gorda and Dona Soledad think of each other when they finally meet?
8. What is the story of Josefina and Lidia according to the story as it is told in the beginning of the book?
9. What allies does Carlos see when La Gorda shows him her light?
10. What does Carlos search for outside, accusing Dona Soledad of tricks when he sees this creature in the area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos has found out that his teacher has withheld information from him in the past, which is why his teachings continue now.
Part 1: Why would a teacher withhold information from a student?
Part 2: Do you think that Carlos should have been able to learn everything directly from Don Juan?
Part 3: How would you feel if you found out a teacher withheld information from you?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos realizes that his second attention has been warped by his use of plants in other rituals.
Part 1: How would you describe the idea of second attention?
Part 2: Why do you think the plants might have affected the second attention of Carlos?
Part 3: How might the plants have helped the second attention of Carlos?
Essay Topic 3
The art of stalking is an interesting concept which is introduced in this book, with certain characters being able to stalk others and to change their appearance at will.
Part 1: Why do you think the art of stalking is a good skill to have as a sorcerer?
Part 2: How do you think changing one's appearance can aid in the stalker's plans?
Part 3: Do you think that the art of stalking is something which can also be applied to the modern world?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)