|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The nagual finds _______ chasing a pig and offers her a job which she is reluctant to take fearing rape.
2. Rosa says, "The Witness has told us that you always know what to do." The Witness who is being referred to is _____.
3. Soledad attempts to ______ Carlos with her hair tie after she has pulled him down on top of her.
4. One of the girls tells Carlos that he has a hole in his ______ that a woman made when she emptied him.
5. Carlos' ability to "stop the world" was accompanied by a _______ sensation at the top of his head.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of Josefina and Lidia according to the story as it is told in the beginning of the book?
2. What is the tickle that Carlos feels a sign of, according to the lessons he has learned from Don Juan?
3. What is the problem with Carlos being 'empty' according to Dona Soledad in her lessons with him?
4. What quality does La Gorda have that Don Juan had too which helps to make Carlos feel at ease?
5. Where do men and women store their memories, according to the observations of Carlos?
6. How does Carlos describe La Gorda when he first sees her in this story?
7. Why must La Gorda and Carlos go to a place of power when they are traveling together?
8. What does Carlos do when Lidia mentions Carlos stealing Dona Soledad's soul?
9. What happened when La Gorda got pregnant when she was younger and having a troubled life?
10. What does the scary man do with the wind in order to help La Gorda learn about her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The demeanor of La Gorda helps Carlos to feel at ease with his new teacher. Her eyes are calm and dark.
Part 1: Do you think a teacher needs to be calming in order to be effective?
Part 2: Why do you think Carlos is at ease with La Gorda as opposed to with others in the story?
Part 3: How do you think the relationship between Carlos and La Gorda is affected by her demeanor?
Essay Topic 2
Women warriors seem to have a number of different abilities and powers than the male warriors do.
Part 1: Do you think that female or male warriors have more power?
Part 2: Why do you think female warriors have different kinds of power than men do?
Part 3: In what ways might you be seen as a warrior? What powers might you have which could help you in battle?
Essay Topic 3
Within this book are many situations in which nature begins to give out omens to the sorcerers and the shamans.
Part 1: Do you believe that omens are real? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think omens teach a person about their lives? About themselves? What were some of the lessons the omens taught in this story?
Part 3: What might happen if you were to make decisions in your life based solely on the omens you see?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)