|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carlos is told that his loss of luminosity comes from the fact that he can't abandon his enmeshment with ______.
2. When Carlos is able to come out of his body, the other awareness flows out of _____.
3. The difference between the way that men do the gesture and women do the gesture is that women store their feelings in ______.
4. At some point talking to the sisters, Carlos became aware of a ______ that was moving around the house.
5. Don Juan had called the four sisters _______ meaning the 'little sisters'.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when La Gorda got pregnant when she was younger and having a troubled life?
2. What is the story of Josefina and Lidia according to the story as it is told in the beginning of the book?
3. What does Carlos do when Lidia mentions Carlos stealing Dona Soledad's soul?
4. What quality does La Gorda have that Don Juan had too which helps to make Carlos feel at ease?
5. Why does Dona Soledad become angry at Carlos, even though she says that they are the same?
6. What is on the forehead of Dona Soledad and the arm of Rosa when Carlos finds them huddled against the wall in pain?
7. Where do men and women store their memories, according to the observations of Carlos?
8. What happens when Carlos wakes up in the bed that the Nagual has ordered Carlos to sleep in?
9. What is the ability that the Nagual has given to La Gorda and Carlos, though not to the girls, though all are the same?
10. What does Carlos search for outside, accusing Dona Soledad of tricks when he sees this creature in the area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
La Gorda tells Carlos that his teacher believes him to be incomplete at this time, so he needs to continue his training.
Part 1: Why do you think that Carlos' teacher still finds him to be incomplete?
Part 2: Do you think that completeness is possible during the course of one's life?
Part 3: How do you think that completeness can be nurtured in life, even when you're not training with a shaman?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos realizes that his second attention has been warped by his use of plants in other rituals.
Part 1: How would you describe the idea of second attention?
Part 2: Why do you think the plants might have affected the second attention of Carlos?
Part 3: How might the plants have helped the second attention of Carlos?
Essay Topic 3
The demeanor of La Gorda helps Carlos to feel at ease with his new teacher. Her eyes are calm and dark.
Part 1: Do you think a teacher needs to be calming in order to be effective?
Part 2: Why do you think Carlos is at ease with La Gorda as opposed to with others in the story?
Part 3: How do you think the relationship between Carlos and La Gorda is affected by her demeanor?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)