|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carlos again hears the sound at the base of his neck and is able to counter-attack ______ when she attacks him with her 'stick'.
2. Pablito rescued Elena, also known as _______ from a life of poverty and sets her up doing laundry.
3. Don Juan suggested to Carlos that if he wanted to pay him back he could make a donation to the "spirit of _______".
4. Dona Soledad and ______ do not get along well with each other and cause each other conflict.
5. La Gorda tells Carlos that people are pieces of the _______ which is why people's energy appears as it does.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the strict orders that La Gorda is under in relation to the location of the Sorcerers when she is helping Carlos?
2. What does Carlos search for outside, accusing Dona Soledad of tricks when he sees this creature in the area?
3. What quality does La Gorda have that Don Juan had too which helps to make Carlos feel at ease?
4. What does Lidia reveal about the power of La Gorda in relation to the Nagual?
5. What happened when La Gorda got pregnant when she was younger and having a troubled life?
6. What is the problem with Carlos being 'empty' according to Dona Soledad in her lessons with him?
7. Where do men and women store their memories, according to the observations of Carlos?
8. What does the scary man do with the wind in order to help La Gorda learn about her life?
9. What is on the forehead of Dona Soledad and the arm of Rosa when Carlos finds them huddled against the wall in pain?
10. Carlos remembers a story about a friend who was dying in the hospital, but what did Don Juan say about how she could push her disease away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the women in the story seem to be more interested in taking the power Carlos has and using it for themselves.
Part 1: Does it seem right that the women in the story use Carlos for his energy?
Part 2: Would you give your power to someone else if they said they needed it?
Part 3: Why do you think Carlos is the one who has the extra power that the women need?
Essay Topic 2
Within this book are many situations in which nature begins to give out omens to the sorcerers and the shamans.
Part 1: Do you believe that omens are real? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think omens teach a person about their lives? About themselves? What were some of the lessons the omens taught in this story?
Part 3: What might happen if you were to make decisions in your life based solely on the omens you see?
Essay Topic 3
The sisters seem to be full of tricks, trying to hurt Carlos and to cause him to make mistakes.
Part 1: Why do you think the sisters are trying to trick Carlos?
Part 2: What do you think of the three sisters? Do they seem to be powerful warriors?
Part 3: Would you say that the sisters were acting in an impeccable manner?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)