|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Who, What, Where, Why, When, and How (Much).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Battelle fear will use clickstream data to abuse the privacy of Internet users?
(a) Website owners.
(b) Other Internet users.
(c) The government.
(d) Search engine companies.
2. How much time passes for Google to go from next to nothing to earning over $4 billion in revenue?
(a) Less than three years.
(b) Less than a year.
(c) Less than two years.
(d) Less than five years.
3. What is Battelle's central focus in Chapter 2?
(a) To describe the process a search engine goes through to track Internet users.
(b) To detail the beginning of search engines.
(c) To explain the history of the Internet and why searches account for the largest percentage of Internet use.
(d) To explain how search engines work, when and why they are used, and how many people use them.
4. From which fields of doctoral candidates does Battelle think will use the database as a research tool?
(a) Arts and science, psychology, and pathology.
(b) Cultural anthropology, psychology, history, and sociology.
(c) English, journalism, mathematics, and history.
(d) Mathematics, history, and archeology.
5. Why is clickstream data so important to search engines?
(a) It helps them analyze the preferences of Internet users to present them with effective advertising.
(b) It provides them with the personal ISP number for Internet users, which is used to contact them in the future.
(c) It gives them the total number of clicks to a website so they can charge that particular website accordingly.
(d) It tells them how often people use the Internet.
Short Answer Questions
1. As of the first quarter of 2005, what does Google have 51 percent of?
2. What should be the fundamental goal of an Internet search, according the Battelle?
3. How do search engines generate income from advertisers?
4. What does "URL" stand for?
5. What percentage of search growth occurs in the U.S.?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)