|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator say he went to The Cedars after Anna died?
(a) He hoped the Graces would be there.
(b) He needed a new home.
(c) He had to borrow money.
(d) He needed a place for Claire to stay.
2. How does the narrator say Anna's death affected his body?
(a) He began to shake.
(b) He was nervous about it.
(c) He lost weight.
(d) He became disgusted with it.
3. In "Section 1: Part 4", what does the narrator say his mother did when she once heard him crying?
(a) Hugged him.
(b) Helped him talk about it.
(c) Gave him advice.
(d) Left him alone.
4. What type of life does the narrator say he envisioned for himself as a child?
(a) A life of travel.
(b) A life in business.
(c) An academic life.
(d) A troubled life.
5. What makes the narrator think of Van Gogh's self-portraits in "Section 1: Part 6"?
(a) His own reflection.
(b) His research.
(c) He sees a copy of one in a paper.
(d) A note from his daughter.
6. What does the narrator say made him cry over Mrs. Grace as a teenager?
(a) Not being able to know her better.
(b) His mother telling him to leave her alone.
(c) Her sending him away.
(d) Her moving to the city.
7. What color is the stone the narrator says he is transported to in "Section 1: Part 6"?
8. When the narrator remembers vacationing with his family in "Section 1: Part 2", what troubled his mother?
(a) His safety.
(b) She couldn't swim.
(c) Worrying about being robbed.
(d) His father's drinking.
9. What is Myles' physical ailment?
(a) He has a limp.
(b) He is mute.
(c) He has polio.
(d) He is blind.
10. When the narrator first meets Chloe, what is his impression of her mother?
(a) He thinks she is complicated.
(b) He dislikes her.
(c) He thinks she is nice.
(d) He adores her.
11. At the end of "Section 1: Part 1", how does the narrator describe his tone?
12. How does the narrator feel during his dream in "Section 1: Part 2"?
13. How does the narrator describe the nighttime at The Cedars?
14. How does the narrator describe the early self-portraits of Van Gogh?
15. In "Section 1: Part 1", what makes the narrator question Colonel Blunden's health?
(a) His limp.
(b) The visits his daughter has been making.
(c) His trips to the bathroom.
(d) The way he cries at night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say he realized after spending time alone with Mrs. Grace?
2. In "Section 1: Part 3", what does the narrator say is the last thing he sees when leaving the dairy farm?
3. How does the narrator describe living with his ill wife in "Section 1: Part 1"?
4. In "Section 1: Part 1", what does the narrator overhear Anna say after he has a drink?
5. What does the narrator struggle to write?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)