|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator like to remember the Grace family in "Section 1: Part 1"?
(a) He feels like they owe him something.
(b) He is afraid of them.
(c) He has fond memories of them.
(d) He married into their family.
2. When the narrator remembers vacationing with his family in "Section 1: Part 2", what troubled his mother?
(a) His father's drinking.
(b) She couldn't swim.
(c) His safety.
(d) Worrying about being robbed.
3. In "Section 1: Part 1", what does the narrator overhear Anna say after he has a drink?
(a) What now?
(b) So what?
(c) Who cares?
(d) Are you there?
4. Why does the narrator say he went to The Cedars after Anna died?
(a) He needed a new home.
(b) He needed a place for Claire to stay.
(c) He hoped the Graces would be there.
(d) He had to borrow money.
5. What does the narrator do with the rock in "Section 1: Part 6"?
(a) Gives it to a child.
(b) Squeezes it in his hand.
(c) Throws it in the water.
(d) Puts it to his lips.
6. How does the narrator say Anna's death affected his body?
(a) He lost weight.
(b) He became disgusted with it.
(c) He began to shake.
(d) He was nervous about it.
7. At the end of "Section 1: Part 1", what does the narrator say he should have done?
(a) Kept a journal.
(b) Traveled the world.
(c) Read more books.
8. What does the narrator say he remembers most about the dairy farmer?
(a) His children playing.
(b) Helping him churn butter.
(c) Collecting the daily milk.
(d) The fresh cheese.
9. In "Section 1: Part 3", what does the narrator blame on Claire?
(a) Moving away from home.
(b) Giving up his career.
(c) Divorcing Anna.
(d) Making bad investments.
10. In "Section 1: Part 5", what does the narrator say he lacked in the early days of Anna's illness?
11. How does the narrator say he felt when he discovered the dairy farmer's lane in "Section 1: Part 3"?
12. How does the narrator describe the nighttime at The Cedars?
13. What does the narrator say he did with Claire shortly after Anna died?
(a) Sent her away.
(b) Went for a drive.
(c) Sold the house.
(d) Went to the beach.
14. Why does the narrator contrast Anna's father with Anna?
(a) Because he is tall.
(b) Because he is honest.
(c) Because he is immoral.
(d) Because he is short.
15. In "Section 1: Part 4", when does the narrator say he thinks of the Graces the most?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Section 1: Part 1", how does the narrator describe the deaths of people he knows?
2. What does the narrator say Chloe used to do to grasshoppers?
3. According to the narrator of "Section 1: Part 1", when did the gods leave?
4. How does the narrator describe Mr. Grace's introduction of himself?
5. Which member of the Grace family does the narrator call a "godling"?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)