|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator say he hid with Mrs. Grace while playing a game at the picnic?
(a) Under a table.
(b) Behind a tree.
(c) Inside an empty building.
(d) In the bushes.
2. What does the narrator say he likened Mrs. Grace's body to as a teenager?
(a) A Greek goddess.
(b) A fountain.
(c) A movie star.
(d) A flower.
3. Where is the narrator when he first meets Chloe?
(b) A restaurant.
(c) The Grace's house.
(d) The beach.
4. How does the narrator describe living with his ill wife in "Section 1: Part 1"?
(a) Like they were on display.
(b) Like they were sinking.
(c) Like they were buried alive.
(d) Like they were on a new planet.
5. When the narrator receives a letter from Claire in "Section 1: Part 3", what does he decide to do?
(a) Send her a present.
(b) Not write her back.
(c) Send the letter back.
(d) Write her back.
6. In "Section 1: Part 6", what ailment does the narrator confess to looking up in a medical dictionary?
(a) Liver spots.
7. What do the waves in "Section 1: Part 6" do to the narrator?
(a) Ignore him.
(b) Mock him.
(c) Harm him.
(d) Whisper to him.
8. What does the narrator say Avril told him about the dairy farmer's family?
(a) They work in the city now.
(b) They have all died.
(c) They all left for Europe.
(d) They moved down the road.
9. What does the narrator say made him cry over Mrs. Grace as a teenager?
(a) Her sending him away.
(b) Not being able to know her better.
(c) His mother telling him to leave her alone.
(d) Her moving to the city.
10. What does the narrator see in the water at the end of "Section 1: Part 6"?
(a) A rowboat.
(b) A school of fish.
(c) A whale.
(d) A ship.
11. In "Section 1: Part 3", what does the narrator blame on Claire?
(a) Giving up his career.
(b) Making bad investments.
(c) Moving away from home.
(d) Divorcing Anna.
12. In "Section 1: Part 1", what does the narrator say that Anna said when he made her tea?
(a) She wanted her tea cold.
(b) She thanked him.
(c) She asked to be alone.
(d) She asked for Brandy.
13. In "Section 1: Part 1", how does the narrator name the members of the Grace family?
(a) He doesn't name them yet.
(b) He refers to them by their initials.
(c) He gives them nicknames based on how they look.
(d) He uses their middle names.
14. Why does the narrator say he went to The Cedars after Anna died?
(a) He needed a new home.
(b) He needed a place for Claire to stay.
(c) He hoped the Graces would be there.
(d) He had to borrow money.
15. Why does the narrator like to remember the Grace family in "Section 1: Part 1"?
(a) He feels like they owe him something.
(b) He has fond memories of them.
(c) He married into their family.
(d) He is afraid of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Claire blame for breaking up her relationship in "Section 1: Part 3"?
2. In the beginning of "Section 1: Part 6", what does the narrator look at?
3. What type of game does the narrator remember Mrs. Grace wanting to play at the picnic?
4. What type of life does the narrator say he envisioned for himself as a child?
5. After the Grace picnic, what does the narrator say worried him most about Mr. Grace?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)