|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator say he went to The Cedars after Anna died?
(a) He hoped the Graces would be there.
(b) He had to borrow money.
(c) He needed a place for Claire to stay.
(d) He needed a new home.
2. Why does the narrator assume that Miss Vavasour cries herself to sleep?
(a) Because of her prayers.
(b) Because of the sounds that come from her room.
(c) Because of a rumor Colonel told him.
(d) Because of the look of her eyes.
3. Why does the narrator say he once tried to grow a beard?
(a) To impress a girl.
(b) To hide his face.
(c) To pretend to be someone else.
(d) To see if he could.
4. What makes the narrator think of Van Gogh's self-portraits in "Section 1: Part 6"?
(a) A note from his daughter.
(b) His own reflection.
(c) He sees a copy of one in a paper.
(d) His research.
5. In "Section 1: Part 5", what does the narrator say energizes him?
6. When does the narrator say his father left his family?
(a) When he was an infant.
(b) The summer before he met Chloe.
(c) The summer after he met Chloe.
(d) The summer he met Chloe.
7. How does the narrator describe his childhood home in "Section 1: Part 2"?
8. In "Section 1: Part 2", how does the narrator describe Miss Vavasour?
(a) Like a fence.
(b) Like a snake.
(c) Like a tulip.
(d) Like a robin.
9. What does the narrator say Avril told him about the dairy farmer's family?
(a) They moved down the road.
(b) They have all died.
(c) They all left for Europe.
(d) They work in the city now.
10. In "Section 1: Part 6", what does the narrator say he is trapped in?
(a) A book.
(b) An ocean.
(c) A bowl.
(d) A box.
11. In "Section 1: Part 4", what does the narrator say he once contemplated doing to Myles?
(a) Torturing him.
(b) Helping him run away.
(c) Teaching him how to fight.
(d) Teasing him.
12. When the narrator receives a letter from Claire in "Section 1: Part 3", what does he decide to do?
(a) Send her a present.
(b) Send the letter back.
(c) Not write her back.
(d) Write her back.
13. How does the narrator describe Miss Vavasour's appearance?
(a) Young looking.
(b) Overly made-up.
14. Why does the narrator like to remember the Grace family in "Section 1: Part 1"?
(a) He is afraid of them.
(b) He married into their family.
(c) He has fond memories of them.
(d) He feels like they owe him something.
15. In "Section 1: Part 6", what ailment does the narrator confess to looking up in a medical dictionary?
(d) Liver spots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is The Cedars?
2. Where is the stone located, in "Section 1: Part 6", that the narrator is transported to?
3. How old is Miss Vavasour?
4. At the end of "Section 1: Part 1", how does the narrator describe his tone?
5. How old does the narrator say he is when he first meets Chloe?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)