|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of "Section 1: Part 6", what does the narrator look at?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A portrait of Bonnard.
(c) A self-portrait.
(d) A photograph of himself.
2. Where is the narrator when he first meets Chloe?
(a) The Grace's house.
(b) The beach.
(d) A restaurant.
3. What does the narrator say he realized after spending time alone with Mrs. Grace?
(a) She was older than he thought.
(b) She wasn't as attractive as he thought.
(c) She didn't clean her house.
(d) She was very well-educated.
4. What does the narrator say he never saw again after meeting Mr. and Mrs. Grace for the first time?
(a) The dog.
(c) The housekeeper.
(d) His father.
5. What does the narrator say Avril told him about the dairy farmer's family?
(a) They moved down the road.
(b) They all left for Europe.
(c) They have all died.
(d) They work in the city now.
6. Which member of the Grace family does the narrator call a "godling"?
(a) The mother.
(c) The father.
7. In "Section 1: Part 6", what does the narrator say he is trapped in?
(a) A box.
(b) A book.
(c) An ocean.
(d) A bowl.
8. In "Section 1: Part 5", where does the narrator say he isn't when he says: "where [he is] neither alive nor..."
(a) The other place.
(c) Avoiding people.
9. In "Section 1: Part 3", what does the narrator blame on Claire?
(a) Giving up his career.
(b) Making bad investments.
(c) Moving away from home.
(d) Divorcing Anna.
10. In "Section 1: Part 1", what does the narrator overhear Anna say after he has a drink?
(a) Are you there?
(b) What now?
(c) So what?
(d) Who cares?
11. What makes the narrator's bed interesting to him?
(a) It is old.
(b) It is painted white.
(c) It is carved.
(d) It is falling apart.
12. What does the narrator do with the rock in "Section 1: Part 6"?
(a) Throws it in the water.
(b) Squeezes it in his hand.
(c) Puts it to his lips.
(d) Gives it to a child.
13. What is Myles' physical ailment?
(a) He has polio.
(b) He is mute.
(c) He is blind.
(d) He has a limp.
14. In "Section 1: Part 2", what does the narrator wonder about himself?
(a) Is he obsessive?
(b) Is he troubled?
(c) Is he rich?
(d) Is he loved?
15. Who does the narrator say was the first member of the Grace family to greet him?
(a) The daughter.
(b) The son.
(c) The mother.
(d) The father.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "Section 1: Part 1", what does the narrator say he should have done?
2. Overall, how does the narrator describe his feelings for Avril?
3. What does the narrator struggle to write?
4. In "Section 1: Part 3", what does the narrator say is the last thing he sees when leaving the dairy farm?
5. In "Section 1: Part 1", how does the narrator describe the deaths of people he knows?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)