|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Section 1: Part 5", what does the narrator say energizes him?
2. How does the narrator feel during his dream in "Section 1: Part 2"?
3. What type of life does the narrator say he envisioned for himself as a child?
(a) A life of travel.
(b) An academic life.
(c) A troubled life.
(d) A life in business.
4. What does the narrator struggle to write?
(a) A news article.
(b) An academic paper.
(c) A summary.
(d) A biography.
5. In "Section 1: Part 2", how does the narrator describe Miss Vavasour?
(a) Like a fence.
(b) Like a tulip.
(c) Like a snake.
(d) Like a robin.
6. In "Section 1: Part 1", how does the narrator name the members of the Grace family?
(a) He doesn't name them yet.
(b) He uses their middle names.
(c) He gives them nicknames based on how they look.
(d) He refers to them by their initials.
7. Who does the narrator say was the first member of the Grace family to greet him?
(a) The father.
(b) The daughter.
(c) The son.
(d) The mother.
8. Who does Claire blame for breaking up her relationship in "Section 1: Part 3"?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her boyfriend.
(d) The Grace family.
9. According to the narrator of "Section 1: Part 1", when did the gods leave?
(a) When the drought ended.
(b) When the tide was high.
(c) When the moon was full.
(d) When leaves fell off the trees.
10. When does the narrator say he decided to move to The Cedars?
(a) A month before Anna's death.
(b) When Claire convinced him to.
(c) After reading about it in the paper.
(d) After visiting it when Anna died.
11. What makes the narrator's bed interesting to him?
(a) It is old.
(b) It is falling apart.
(c) It is carved.
(d) It is painted white.
12. What does the narrator say he did with Claire shortly after Anna died?
(a) Sold the house.
(b) Went for a drive.
(c) Sent her away.
(d) Went to the beach.
13. How does the narrator describe living with his ill wife in "Section 1: Part 1"?
(a) Like they were sinking.
(b) Like they were on a new planet.
(c) Like they were buried alive.
(d) Like they were on display.
14. How does the narrator describe Mr. Grace's introduction of himself?
15. In "Section 1: Part 6", what does the narrator say he is trapped in?
(a) An ocean.
(b) A box.
(c) A book.
(d) A bowl.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Mr. Grace the first time he sees him?
2. What does the narrator do with the rock in "Section 1: Part 6"?
3. In "Section 1: Part 3", what does the narrator blame on Claire?
4. How does the narrator say his mother reacted when he told her about going to a picnic with the Grace family?
5. When the narrator receives a letter from Claire in "Section 1: Part 3", what does he decide to do?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)