|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the narrator first meets Chloe, what is his impression of her mother?
(a) He dislikes her.
(b) He thinks she is complicated.
(c) He thinks she is nice.
(d) He adores her.
2. How does the narrator describe the early self-portraits of Van Gogh?
3. When the narrator remembers vacationing with his family in "Section 1: Part 2", what troubled his mother?
(a) His safety.
(b) Worrying about being robbed.
(c) His father's drinking.
(d) She couldn't swim.
4. In "Section 1: Part 1", what does the narrator overhear Anna say after he has a drink?
(a) So what?
(b) Who cares?
(c) What now?
(d) Are you there?
5. How does the narrator describe Mr. Grace's introduction of himself?
6. In "Section 1: Part 1", how does the narrator name the members of the Grace family?
(a) He refers to them by their initials.
(b) He doesn't name them yet.
(c) He gives them nicknames based on how they look.
(d) He uses their middle names.
7. How does the narrator say Anna's death affected his body?
(a) He was nervous about it.
(b) He became disgusted with it.
(c) He lost weight.
(d) He began to shake.
8. What does the narrator say he inspected first on the dairy farmer's land in "Section 1: Part 3"?
(a) The cows.
(b) The fences.
(c) The barn.
(d) The house.
9. What does the narrator say happened at the end of the Grace family picnic?
(a) He helped clean up.
(b) His mother was late picking him up.
(c) Mr. Grace made him leave early.
(d) Chloe hit him.
10. What was the daughter doing the first time the narrator saw her at the Grace house?
11. In "Section 1: Part 4", where does the narrator say people sail their vessels of sadness to?
(a) The autumn.
(b) The peace.
(c) The land.
(d) The edge.
12. How does the narrator feel during his dream in "Section 1: Part 2"?
13. Where is the stone located, in "Section 1: Part 6", that the narrator is transported to?
(a) A beach.
(b) A cliff.
(c) A rocky shore.
(d) A river bank.
14. In "Section 1: Part 1", what makes the narrator question Colonel Blunden's health?
(a) The visits his daughter has been making.
(b) His trips to the bathroom.
(c) The way he cries at night.
(d) His limp.
15. What does the narrator do with the rock in "Section 1: Part 6"?
(a) Squeezes it in his hand.
(b) Puts it to his lips.
(c) Throws it in the water.
(d) Gives it to a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Miss Vavasour?
2. What does the narrator say Chloe used to do to grasshoppers?
3. In "Section 1: Part 5", what does the narrator say energizes him?
4. How does the narrator describe the nighttime at The Cedars?
5. When does the narrator say he decided to move to The Cedars?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)