|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Mr. Grace the first time he sees him?
2. Why does the narrator say he thought about the Grace family as a child?
(a) To make up stories.
(b) To try to become part of their family.
(c) To escape.
(d) To help him fall asleep.
3. Who does the narrator say was the first member of the Grace family to greet him?
(a) The father.
(b) The daughter.
(c) The mother.
(d) The son.
4. What does the narrator say he did with Claire shortly after Anna died?
(a) Sold the house.
(b) Went for a drive.
(c) Sent her away.
(d) Went to the beach.
5. What does the narrator say Avril told him about the dairy farmer's family?
(a) They have all died.
(b) They work in the city now.
(c) They all left for Europe.
(d) They moved down the road.
6. What color is the stone the narrator says he is transported to in "Section 1: Part 6"?
7. When does the narrator say he decided to move to The Cedars?
(a) A month before Anna's death.
(b) After visiting it when Anna died.
(c) When Claire convinced him to.
(d) After reading about it in the paper.
8. In "Section 1: Part 1", how does the narrator describe the deaths of people he knows?
(a) As a burden he carries on his back.
(b) As a hole in the ground.
(c) As a wrecked ship.
(d) As a series of falling trees.
9. What does the narrator say he remembers most about the dairy farmer?
(a) His children playing.
(b) Collecting the daily milk.
(c) The fresh cheese.
(d) Helping him churn butter.
10. What is The Cedars?
(a) A retirement home.
(c) A school.
(d) A boarding house.
11. How does the narrator say Anna's death affected his body?
(a) He was nervous about it.
(b) He became disgusted with it.
(c) He began to shake.
(d) He lost weight.
12. At the end of "Section 1: Part 6", what does the narrator hear?
(a) A song.
(b) A whistle.
(d) A cry.
13. In "Section 1: Part 3", what does the narrator blame on Claire?
(a) Making bad investments.
(b) Giving up his career.
(c) Moving away from home.
(d) Divorcing Anna.
14. What was the daughter doing the first time the narrator saw her at the Grace house?
15. Who does the narrator say introduced him to Mr. Grace?
(d) Mrs. Grace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do with the rock in "Section 1: Part 6"?
2. When the narrator remembers vacationing with his family in "Section 1: Part 2", what troubled his mother?
3. What do the waves in "Section 1: Part 6" do to the narrator?
4. In "Section 1: Part 1", what does the narrator overhear Anna say after he has a drink?
5. In "Section 1: Part 5", how does the narrator describe the chance to be with the Grace family at a picnic?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)