|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say at the end of "Section 1: Part 6"?
(a) That he has always been there.
(b) That he is almost there.
(c) That he will never go there.
(d) That there isn't real.
2. At the end of "Section 1: Part 1", how does the narrator describe his tone?
3. At the picnic, who does the narrator say Mrs. Grace called jealous?
(d) Mr. Grace.
4. In "Section 1: Part 1", what does the narrator say that Anna said when he made her tea?
(a) She thanked him.
(b) She asked for Brandy.
(c) She asked to be alone.
(d) She wanted her tea cold.
5. What does the narrator say made him cry over Mrs. Grace as a teenager?
(a) His mother telling him to leave her alone.
(b) Not being able to know her better.
(c) Her sending him away.
(d) Her moving to the city.
6. What does the narrator say he never saw again after meeting Mr. and Mrs. Grace for the first time?
(a) His father.
(b) The housekeeper.
(d) The dog.
7. Why does the narrator like to remember the Grace family in "Section 1: Part 1"?
(a) He has fond memories of them.
(b) He feels like they owe him something.
(c) He is afraid of them.
(d) He married into their family.
8. In "Section 1: Part 1", how does the narrator describe the deaths of people he knows?
(a) As a series of falling trees.
(b) As a hole in the ground.
(c) As a burden he carries on his back.
(d) As a wrecked ship.
9. What does the narrator say he inspected first on the dairy farmer's land in "Section 1: Part 3"?
(a) The fences.
(b) The house.
(c) The barn.
(d) The cows.
10. How does the narrator say Anna's death affected his body?
(a) He became disgusted with it.
(b) He began to shake.
(c) He lost weight.
(d) He was nervous about it.
11. In "Section 1: Part 2", how does the narrator describe his pains?
(a) As perhaps being fictional.
(b) As needing topical creams.
(c) As being the result of an accident.
(d) As stemming from his childhood.
12. Why does the narrator say he once tried to grow a beard?
(a) To hide his face.
(b) To impress a girl.
(c) To see if he could.
(d) To pretend to be someone else.
13. In "Section 1: Part 5", where does the narrator say he isn't when he says: "where [he is] neither alive nor..."
(c) Avoiding people.
(d) The other place.
14. In "Section 1: Part 5", what does the narrator say energizes him?
15. What does the narrator struggle to write?
(a) A biography.
(b) A news article.
(c) An academic paper.
(d) A summary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of the Grace family does the narrator call a "godling"?
2. Who is Mr. Todd?
3. What does the narrator say Avril told him about the dairy farmer's family?
4. How does the narrator describe the nighttime at The Cedars?
5. At the end of "Section 1: Part 6", what does the narrator hear?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)