|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say fascinated him about Avril?
(a) Her clothing.
(b) Her hair.
(c) Her weight.
(d) Her freckles.
2. What does the narrator say Avril told him about the dairy farmer's family?
(a) They work in the city now.
(b) They have all died.
(c) They moved down the road.
(d) They all left for Europe.
3. Who is the narrator reminded of because of his dream in "Section 1: Part 2"?
(a) Chloe Grace.
(b) Mr. Grace.
(d) Mrs. Grace.
4. How does the narrator describe the nighttime at The Cedars?
5. Why does the narrator say he once tried to grow a beard?
(a) To pretend to be someone else.
(b) To see if he could.
(c) To impress a girl.
(d) To hide his face.
6. What does the narrator see in the water at the end of "Section 1: Part 6"?
(a) A rowboat.
(b) A school of fish.
(c) A whale.
(d) A ship.
7. At the end of "Section 1: Part 6", what does the narrator hear?
(b) A whistle.
(c) A cry.
(d) A song.
8. What does the narrator say Mr. Grace overdid when introducing himself?
(a) His manners.
(b) His movements.
(c) His handshake.
(d) His facial expressions.
9. What does the narrator say happened at the end of the Grace family picnic?
(a) Mr. Grace made him leave early.
(b) Chloe hit him.
(c) He helped clean up.
(d) His mother was late picking him up.
10. What does the narrator say Chloe told him about Myles, once they become close?
(a) That he is adopted.
(b) That they are twins.
(c) That they hate their parents.
(d) That he is a genius.
11. What is The Cedars?
(a) A boarding house.
(b) A retirement home.
(c) A school.
12. What do the waves in "Section 1: Part 6" do to the narrator?
(a) Ignore him.
(b) Mock him.
(c) Whisper to him.
(d) Harm him.
13. What does the narrator say he was told about his bedroom?
(a) It is the newest of all the rooms.
(b) It used to be the master bedroom.
(c) It is haunted.
(d) It has money hidden in it.
14. In "Section 1: Part 5", where does the narrator say he isn't when he says: "where [he is] neither alive nor..."
(a) Avoiding people.
(d) The other place.
15. In "Section 1: Part 4", where does the narrator say people sail their vessels of sadness to?
(a) The peace.
(b) The edge.
(c) The land.
(d) The autumn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the stone located, in "Section 1: Part 6", that the narrator is transported to?
2. When does the narrator say Bonnard painted self-portraits?
3. Why does the narrator assume that Miss Vavasour cries herself to sleep?
4. What do stocking feet remind the narrator of?
5. What confuses the narrator most about Bonnard?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)